The National

Zoo Music Girl

3 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Even if we ignore the obvious Mr November,  there are still Karen, Lit up, Abel and All the wine as 4 sure-fire belters. Never mind the slow-growers of geese of beverley Road, Secret Meeting, Daughters of the Soho Riots and looking for Astronauts. 

Friend of Mine and Val Jester does lull the album in the middle somewhere, admittedly which is why it never makes my favourite album like some on here, and City middle is forgettable too. 

Your minds not right your mind's not right, amylawn. Stop balerinaing on the coffee table,  cock in hand and give it a lfew more plays. 

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

What am I on about? Friend of Mine is great. I meant baby we'll be fine. 

Don't listen to that Scruff, that scruff's a balloon.

Was about to say wtf are you talking about. Friend of Mine is great.

Never got the love for Abel. Couldn't care less if they play it at Glasto. Just lots of shouting.

Lit Up is the biggest banger they have. Wish they'd play it.

Don't understand why Looking for Astronauts exists. Album starts so brilliantly and then that little turd drifts in like a bad smell for a few minutes and ruins the momentum.

Anyway I replaced OK Computer with TWFM as the CD in my car the other week and have had it on repeat since then, and I'd forgotten just how good it is tbh. Maybe their most consistent album in my mind. I was a bit worried that the setlist may still be too heavy on TWFM tracks but having remembered how good they all are I'd welcome that (apart from the fact we could have had Lit Up and Mistaken For Strangers instead).

Oh well, gimme Pink Rabbits and Slow Show and I'll be a happy bunny (geddit).

Thank you Glastonbury for making me get back into listening to these boys.

I can never decide where to place Alligator. I fucking LOVE Mr November, Lit Up, Daughters and All The Wine, all four are probably in my top ten, but the whole album doesn't feel as cohesive as Boxer or High Violet. It definitely could be my favourite album, but I don't think it is.

Not sure what this adds to the debate actually. This isn't the best post I've ever made tbf

I'd say Alligator's definitely the weakest of the four. Mr November's one of their best ever, only Slow Show, Fake Empire and maybe Bloodbuzz beat it for me. All the Wine and Secret Meeting are real highlights too but as much as it's a great album it's just that bit more inconsistent than the others.

2 hours ago, st dan said:

After seemingly skipping over it for many years, I can't stop listening to Pink Rabbits. I definitely have a new found love for Trouble Will Find Me as an album.

Never make pink rabbits. They made my journey from Leeds to Manchester to see them years ago very difficult. 

Firstly, please don't shoot me but I'm that person that has 'only discovered The National since poster release' (runs for cover). I have to say from first listen I've been hooked (slow show in particular). Apologies if this has already been covered but is there a 'likely setlist' or say 5 tracks that will most likely be played?

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Not really. Most will probably come from trouble will find me as that's their most recent. But they have a new album coming out too so may get some unheard tracks. 

From high violet will definitely get vanderlyle crybaby geeks

And probably some of bloodbuzz Ohio, England, conversation 16 and terrible love

Mr November is also almost definite thinking about it. (from alligator). Abel and all the wine I'm hopeful from off that album. 

Good chance of some of slow show, fake empire, mistaken for strangers and hopefully apartment story or guest room from boxer. 

That's great thanks. So many great tracks.

6 hours ago, zeppelin said:

Never make pink rabbits. They made my journey from Leeds to Manchester to see them years ago very difficult. 

Hope you're taking about the drink and not a type of 'lady toy' that could also be referred to as a 'pink rabbit' .. that certainly would be a journey to remember! 

Pink Rabbits came on during my drive home from work in the dark last night, on my own down a load of empty streets, and I had a bit of a moment.

One of those songs that just makes m feel something really intensely (I don't really know what the feeling is). Other songs that do this off the top of my head are Let Down and Straight to You.

How anybody can rate it as not even one of the best tracks on Trouble Will Find Me is beyond me. Especially when tracks such as Abel from their discography are lauded so much. Think it might be my favourite National song.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Pink Rabbits came on during my drive home from work in the dark last night, on my own down a load of empty streets, and I had a bit of a moment.

One of those songs that just makes m feel something really intensely (I don't really know what the feeling is). Other songs that do this off the top of my head are Let Down and Straight to You.

How anybody can rate it as not even one of the best tracks on Trouble Will Find Me is beyond me. Especially when tracks such as Abel from their discography are lauded so much. Think it might be my favourite National song.

"You didn't see me I was falling apart, I was a television version of a person with a broken heart" could well be my favourite The National lyric full stop. Great tune.

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

There isn't a single song that I dislike on that album. In fact Pink Rabbits, Graceless and Humiliation are probably in my top 5 National songs. Really hope the new record can top it 

Edited by kaytee...

2 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

There isn't a single song that I dislike on that album. In fact Pink Rabbits, Graceless and Humiliation are probably in my top 5 National songs. Really hope the new record can top it 

Yeah I loved it at the time (remember rating it my 2nd favourite album of the year behind ...Like Clockwork) but in the intervening years between now and then I haven't really gone back to it much, unlike Alligator/Boxer/High Violet. But I've put it in my car recently and had it on repeat and rediscovered how amazing it is. I think it's probably their most consistent album.

On 18/04/2017 at 3:22 PM, CajunMoon said:

Firstly, please don't shoot me but I'm that person that has 'only discovered The National since poster release' (runs for cover). I have to say from first listen I've been hooked (slow show in particular). Apologies if this has already been covered but is there a 'likely setlist' or say 5 tracks that will most likely be played?

Take a look at http://www.setlist.fm/stats/the-national-53d69b79.html - I've seen them 3 times in the last few years and pretty certain I got at least 10 out of the top 15 each time.

On 16/04/2017 at 10:29 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Just spend the night with the sinners. 

Rapid Reaction Force here....... :-/

I did and have done a couple of times since last weekend. .....

trust your (sinner) had fun on Sunday night and was good to you when s/he came back.... 

Trouble is definitely finding me. Like it. 

Thanks

12 hours ago, lazzareo said:

Take a look at http://www.setlist.fm/stats/the-national-53d69b79.html - I've seen them 3 times in the last few years and pretty certain I got at least 10 out of the top 15 each time.

That's great thank you. I don't usually ask for song recommendations as it kind of defeats that personal connection with an artists music, but... having only discovered them (where have I been really?!) and such little time to fully appreciate a vast back catalogue before June I thought it best to get recommendations from their hardcore fan base :)