The National

Zoo Music Girl

16 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Ahhhh shit, looks like we'll be getting something before the festival then :D

Even though I've never seen them live before so it all would've been new to me, the idea of them subbing with four year old material + a couple of new songs nobody knows didn't seem quite right so here's hoping an album announcement/release isn't far off.

Edited by FloorFiller

31 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

OK.  I'm game.  How do you want to do this?

Looks like I got drunk on Saturday, came home and watched The National from 2010. Then preceeded to tell all and sundry that The National were the greatest thing on the planet.

AGAIN 

11 minutes ago, russycarps said:

A new album? So this means they'll be playing a load of new songs that even the fans dont know, in the pyramid sub slot that is notorious for being incredibly difficult for a band to generate a decent atmosphere in.

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Well they've been playing a bunch of new songs in their set lately anyway so surely the album being out beforehand is a hell of a lot better than not so that people actually have a chance to get to grips with the new stuff? (That is if the new album is actually gonna be released beforehand - they've got just over a month to deliver otherwise it could be a bit of a fuck up and have them die on their arse even more than they're inevitably gonna do anyway).

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Well they've been playing a bunch of new songs in their set lately anyway so surely the album being out beforehand is a hell of a lot better than not so that people actually have a chance to get to grips with the new stuff? (That is if the new album is actually gonna be released beforehand - they've got just over a month to deliver otherwise it could be a bit of a fuck up and have them die on their arse even more than they're inevitably gonna do anyway).

yeah it definitely needs to be released asap. It makes sense them taking the slot now at least. Perfect opportunity to showcase their new stuff. I predict it will be very new song heavy.

Let's just hope the album is good!

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

yeah it definitely needs to be released asap. It makes sense them taking the slot now at least. Perfect opportunity to showcase their new stuff. I predict it will be very new song heavy.

Let's just hope the album is good!

Yeah they seem to have a habit of going pretty new album heavy with their setlists (or at least they did with the Trouble Will Find Me tour) so here's hoping this little teaser they've posted is for an imminent new album release rather than just a single with the album coming later. Playing a bunch of songs that nobody's heard will be the nail in the coffin for them, even with their back catalogue of songs.

2 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

If they're in that slot, they'll be lucky if the bulk of the crowd have even heard Mr November so it won't matter a fart whether the set is new song heavy or not.  The fans will know the songs and the overwhelming majority of folk in that field won't either way.

Yeah as much as it pains me to say I'm expecting a Beck level of non-interest from the majority of the crowd. Real debacle on whether to get up front with there being a good chance of it being populated by purely Foos fans or hang back and hope I'm in a small pocket of people there to actually see The National.

6 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

If they're in that slot, they'll be lucky if the bulk of the crowd have even heard Mr November so it won't matter a fart whether the set is new song heavy or not.  The fans will know the songs and the overwhelming majority of folk in that field won't either way.

This set will live and die by the fans, though. And no matter who it is, 6 weeks isn't enough time for mass familiariastion. I wouldn't mind anyway to be honest, seen them enough on the TWFM tour, but I wouldn't imagine they'd play more than like, 3 new tunes.

Edited by Tuna
"hardcore" fans a bit dramatic. just fans.

I hate crowds so I've not done anywhere near the front since '03.  I'm going to give it my best shot for Radiohead and if I come out of that ok, I'll make the effort for The National too.  I think they'll need the support.

We could always have a non-meet.  As in National thread people head for specific area.  Don't have to know who each other are or actually meet but at least we'll know there are other fans in that particular vicinity.  (Eg centre left just inside the barrier.)

• Upvote 1

Noooo! Its the National at Glastonbury! Get down the front with a big smile on your face, put your hands in the air like you just don't care, sing along with all the songs, and have the best time ever. Who cares what everyone else thinks or does? 

They will be brilliant (as usual). 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I hate crowds so I've not done anywhere near the front since '03.  I'm going to give it my best shot for Radiohead and if I come out of that ok, I'll make the effort for The National too.  I think they'll need the support.

We could always have a non-meet.  As in National thread people head for specific area.  Don't have to know who each other are or actually meet but at least we'll know there are other fans in that particular vicinity.  (Eg centre left just inside the barrier.)

This is a nice idea. Someone needs to put @fightoffyour's avatar on a flag as a reference point.

• Upvote 1

Finally decided to get involved in this thread as somehow I have managed to avoid The National for most of my life, one of those bands that I've always been aware of but never actually listened to. Thought I should give them a go ahead of GF.

Downloaded (legally) Boxer and I absolutely love it! Seriously, where have these guys been all my life? Got Trouble Will Find Me queued up next. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Finally decided to get involved in this thread as somehow I have managed to avoid The National for most of my life, one of those bands that I've always been aware of but never actually listened to. Thought I should give them a go ahead of GF.

Downloaded (legally) Boxer and I absolutely love it! Seriously, where have these guys been all my life? Got Trouble Will Find Me queued up next. 

One of us! One of us! 

• Upvote 1