The National

Zoo Music Girl

8 minutes ago, st dan said:

What’s everybody’s initial thoughts then?

I like it a lot - can really sense the emotion in the lyrics and the songs are beautifully put together as you would expect. Think the guests are all great on it too and it works very well. Just love how Taylor suits their sound and compliments Matt perfectly. Also, would have loved ‘Weird Goodbyes’ to have been added as a bonus too as I loved that single!

Whilst it’s not groundbreaking and won’t win them any new fans, I think it captures their best sound and is their best output in a decade. 

I still prefer Sleep Well beast over this but then again that's my fav National record (on par with Boxer).

That being said, this one is beautiful. Matt seems to be singing more melodious this time around. Less abstract parlando. Ice Machines, The Alcott and Eucalyptus (!) are the highlights for me but bar from the closer this is a very consistent listen. 

It’s fine. Very much The National by numbers for the most part. Listened to it twice over now with most songs just kind of passing me by and then both times, bam, Grease In Your Hair kicks in and finally grabs my attention a bit - where was that energy for the rest of the album?! I’m sure it’ll grow on me eventually, but tbh, as divisive as it seemed to be on release, I kind of miss the electronic direction they were going towards with Sleep Well Beast. This one just sounds like they’ve gotten too comfortable and settled for ‘this’ll do’. 

Edited by FloorFiller
  • Upvote 1

Enjoying it but nothing wow about it. I don’t really like the songs with guests on them, well not like but don’t really see the point. Matt is singing pretty much all of the time with the guest vocalist so can barely hear them. Apart from the Taylor Swift one if I didn’t know who was singing on it I wouldn’t ’t be able to tell from the vocals 

I agree that it's not groundbreaking for them.  I actually think Grease in your hair is my least favorite.  i think it sounds like you told AI to write a national song.  I like the two with phoebe on them; I her and matt's voices sound really great together.   i really like alien too.

I am not a taylor swift fan but for some reason I keep playing that song. I really wanted the national to make something different this time, and to me that's the song thats the most different. 

It's good but it doesn't bring any new ideas to the table. Your Mind Is Not Your Friend is the highlight. 

Looking forward to seeing them tour later this year, hopefully the setlist doesn't drop all the Sleep Well Beast material, that tour was the best they've performed. 

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Riggins said:

Anyone think they could turn up on Park? Been a while, new album, no tour dates over that weekend, can't really play anywhere else at this point, but a secret set could work? 

I dunno... A band that are not touring Europe, let alone the UK, who only played 3 festivals ago, to widespread indifference... Could happen

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

I dunno... A band that are not touring Europe, let alone the UK, who only played 3 festivals ago, to widespread indifference... Could happen

They're touring in Sept. They definitely have the profile for a early evening secret set. Not too big but I'm sure they'd get a good crowd 

• 2 months later...

Supposed tracklist:

• Smoke Detector

• Deep End (Paul's in Pieces)

• Alphabet City

• Dreaming

• Turn off the House

• Coat on a Hook

• Crumble feat. Rosanne Cash

• Hornets

• Laugh Track feat. Phoebe Bridgers

• Space Invader

• Tour Manager

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Hope it isn’t as boring as the last one, although can’t help but feel like this is gonna be a classic case of a band spreading themselves too thin and releasing two eh albums rather than one good one. 

For me the last 2 albums have had 3-4 great tracks and a few that are just so so.

I’d imagine this could end up the same.

I'm looking forward to Alexandra Palace having had a great time seeing The National in Milan five years ago, but it would be a curveball to have it as one of the first shows for a new LP. Especially as I haven't heard the full length Two Pages of Frankenstein as I've just forgotten to get round to it.

Saying that their setlists usually have 5/6 changes a night so I'm expecting a decent wedge of variety anyway.

On 8/15/2023 at 10:28 AM, FloorFiller said:

Hope it isn’t as boring as the last one, although can’t help but feel like this is gonna be a classic case of a band spreading themselves too thin and releasing two eh albums rather than one good one. 

Last one was gorgeous though. My most listened to album this year. Eucalyptus also my SOTY so far.