Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

Why is it unlikely?

This discussion has been had many a time on here and I'm yet to be proved wrong. To me they are not big enough, I know they headlined Leeds/Reading a few years ago but hardly drew a massive crowd by all accounts. If you ask your average punter to name an Arcade Fire song they won't be able to.

Crucially the last time they played Glastonbury they slated it afterwards.

They are definitely good enough though and better than most headliners we get, so hopefully I may get proved wrong one day, with the National subbing!

I feel it's pretty much now or never for them. Look at the hype Reflektor has generated, the success it's had.

https://twitter.com/ArcadeFiretube/status/394863690807144448

That's before being released in the US, too. Why the hell can't they headline Glasto? Surely they're just as big as Mumford? I can't name a fucking Mumford song, doesn't mean I don't think they're a huge act.

I feel it's pretty much now or never for them. Look at the hype Reflektor has generated, the success it's had.

That's before being released in the US, too. Why the hell can't they headline Glasto? Surely they're just as big as Mumford? I can't name a fucking Mumford song, doesn't mean I don't think they're a huge act.

basically this, I can't think of anyone at a more appropriate stage in their career to headline

This discussion has been had many a time on here and I'm yet to be proved wrong. To me they are not big enough, I know they headlined Leeds/Reading a few years ago but hardly drew a massive crowd by all accounts. If you ask your average punter to name an Arcade Fire song they won't be able to.

They are definitely good enough though and better than most headliners we get, so hopefully I may get proved wrong one day, with the National subbing!

See in my experience I think most people I know are familiar enough with AF for them to headline not being an issue, they certainly know enough songs for it to peak their interest. As others have said it just seems like the next natural step for the band, they are very much on the up and have been since Funeral.

I think arcade fire could definitely headline but, like any act, alongside them you'd need two other acts that would give a good spread of genres, eras, mainstream popularity, newsworthy news, singalong songs etc. If fleetwood mac are the second then say kanye, prince or daft punk are the third (not saying they're likely but neither were the stones) you could get that...

Edited by DJL

I can't name an fxxking Mumford song either but I do know it's them when they come on the radio, as do most folk. Could the same be said for AF? I don't think AF are mainstream enough (which is a compliment).

You are very much out of touch with recent bands of profile then, they sold out an arena tour in 2010 in less than a week (including two nights at the O2 arena), then a mere few months later sold out Hyde Park, headlined Coachella and a ton of other major festivals.

Reflektor has been outselling the new Katy Perry album 3:1 this week.

In 2011 they displaced Radiohead as the biggest underground band in the world - they have earned their dues and they are by far the most relevant rumoured headliner.

Their 2010 Leeds/Reading crowd was due to clashing with Pendulum and them headlining on the back of two albums rather than three (The Suburbs wasn't even announced when they were as a headliner). It was an inspired choice and has gone down as one of the most iconic headline sets of the last decade.

They are a headliner and nothing but.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts7Hzs97TEc

You are very much out of touch with recent bands of profile then, they sold out an arena tour in 2010 in less than a week (including two nights at the O2 arena), then a mere few months later sold out Hyde Park, headlined Coachella and a ton of other major festivals.

Reflektor has been outselling the new Katy Perry album 3:1 this week.

In 2011 they displaced Radiohead as the biggest underground band in the world - they have earned their dues and they are by far the most relevant rumoured headliner.

Their 2010 Leeds/Reading crowd was due to clashing with Pendulum and them headlining on the back of two albums rather than three (The Suburbs wasn't even announced when they were as a headliner). It was an inspired choice and has gone down as one of the most iconic headline sets of the last decade.

They are a headliner and nothing but.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts7Hzs97TEc

'The Suburbs' was definitely out when they played Reading.

I agree about their headline set at Reading being amazing, I did only see it on TV but even on a screen in a caravan in Somerset it seemed amazing! And my mate assured me it was wonderful, so much so he shed a tear or two.

Also there seems to be a weird split on this forum where some people are sick of headliners who whore themselves out at every other festival (The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon etc.), but others are adamant that potential alternatives aren't big enough (Arcade Fire, Elbow, Biffy Clyro etc.). I mean what do people want?

Also there seems to be a weird split on this forum where some people are sick of headliners who whore themselves out at every other festival (The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon etc.), but others are adamant that potential alternatives aren't big enough (Arcade Fire, Elbow, Biffy Clyro etc.). I mean what do people want?

It's something that stumps me as well, for me the only band who haven't headlined before and are headline worthy are Arcade Fire. I really can't see anyone else though.