Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

Several instances on the new album. The end of Supersymmetry, for one thing. The lyrics, which seem to be mostly instances of whining about being a successful rock star

Playing 'secret' warm up gigs in pretty sizable venues for £35 a pop. With fancy dress mandatory for all attendees.

They just seem a bit short of....charm.

The fancy dress thing is just to create a party atmosphere that's lost on gigs where the crowd are under a sea of smartphones - I don't understand how that's received such a bad reaction on here. They're not chucking anyone out for not wearing fancy dress, those people are given a free mask or something. The venues aren't that big really considering the history of arenas and outdoor venues, and the price is likely to have nothing to do with the band.

The lyrics, I guess you could feel that but that's just personal interpretation.

Edited by dentalplan

The fancy dress thing is just to create a party atmosphere that's lost on gigs where the crowd are under a sea of smartphones

Encouraging the crowd to have fun by trying to create a party atmosphere where everyone is on the same level and too busy enjoying each other's company to ruin the gig through constantly filming/photographing? Jesus how far up their own arses are these people?

Edited by mrtourette

Encouraging the crowd to have fun by trying to create a party atmosphere where everyone is on the same level and too busy enjoying each other's company to ruin the gig through constantly filming/photographing? Jesus how far up their own arses are these people?

Win recently smashed a piñata of an iPhone at one of the warm up gigs. LUCKILY some thoughtful folk recorded it on their iPhones...

Edited by dentalplan

Strange to say as Damon himself pretty much said they didn't.

He was probably using Blur the previous year as a benchmark though, which is harsh on himself. I wasn't there, but I watched it on telly and I was highly envious of anyone who was there

Edited by rjb94

I much prefer CD2 on the new album, it's a new direction for them and will be interesting to see how it is played live.

The warm-up gigs sound amazing, how often do bands of this stature do something a bit different like this. That said I can see how they might appear a bit pretentious to the casual observer, maybe cos they have a bit of a '"cult" feel to them but they remain a band who have brought out consistently great music over their career.

Several instances on the new album. The end of Supersymmetry, for one thing. The lyrics, which seem to be mostly instances of whining about being a successful rock star

Playing 'secret' warm up gigs in pretty sizable venues for £35 a pop. With fancy dress mandatory for all attendees.

They just seem a bit short of....charm.

The end of Supersymmetry seems to serve a purpose! When the song is played backwards and forwards at the same time, the strange parts accent the main song beautifully!

I disagree about the lyrics whining about being a successful rock star. Flashbulb Eyes speaks to me about so many photographs being taken all the time in the modern age. Are we living in a soulless time? The reflective age that is talked about on the album. We Exist is confirmed to be written from the perspective of a young gay man. Dunno about any others that could be seen as whiny.

And Regine is the most charming person to ever walk the Earth!

:)

So is the London date on Monday the first of the UK shows? I'm presuming there's no support so anyone know what time they're likely to be on? Doors are at 7pm. I'm just wondering as I went to a 'secret' gig on Sunday that was doors 7pm, band on about 8.15pm and all over by 10pm. I'm wondering if this is likely to be similar or more like a 'normal' gig? What do people think?

The warm-up gigs sound amazing, how often do bands of this stature do something a bit different like this. That said I can see how they might appear a bit pretentious to the casual observer, maybe cos they have a bit of a '"cult" feel to them but they remain a band who have brought out consistently great music over their career.

REM used to do this, performing under names such as Bingo Hand Job and playing to a few hundred people at locations a band of their size would never play otherwise, often testing out new material.

I'm still very much in love with the album, I've ripped to mp3 so I listen to it as a whole rather than 2 sides of a disc. Perhaps I might give cd2 a listen on it's own to see how it stands.

REM used to do this, performing under names such as Bingo Hand Job and playing to a few hundred people at locations a band of their size would never play otherwise, often testing out new material.

I'm still very much in love with the album, I've ripped to mp3 so I listen to it as a whole rather than 2 sides of a disc. Perhaps I might give cd2 a listen on it's own to see how it stands.

at first listen disk one was the standout for me, disk two has been a real grower over the week

supersymmetry being one of the real stand out tracks now.

really cant wait for next Friday in Glasgow!!