Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

He said "possibly for the last time ever", but it was during Normal Person as the Bobbleheads were on. I assumed it was the possibly last time ever the Reflektors would play, not Arcade Fire.

Anyway, I was at Win's DJ set in Dalston with 50 other people last night. Spilled Bulmers in Regine's hair. She didn't notice. Not relevant but I had to gloat.

Where am I going to go to discuss AF after this thread dies?

He said "possibly for the last time ever", but it was during Normal Person as the Bobbleheads were on. I assumed it was the possibly last time ever the Reflektors would play, not Arcade Fire.

Anyway, I was at Win's DJ set in Dalston with 50 other people last night. Spilled Bulmers in Regine's hair. She didn't notice. Not relevant but I had to gloat.

Where am I going to go to discuss AF after this thread dies?

Downtown.

That's pretty cool that is though - the DJ set, not the cider hair.

I don't imagine they meant the last time ever either as they said they're writing new stuff from now. I imagine it'll be the last UK stop of the Reflektor tour.

I'm pretty glad I went last night as the setlist was rather good. No flashbulb eyes, and we got Crown of Love and Intervention. The crowd were even more shocking than I expected though. We were right near the front at the side and the people around us were talking the whole way through and only knew Ready to Start and Reflektor. I just screeched Tunnels into their ears instead.

I'm pretty glad I went last night as the setlist was rather good. No flashbulb eyes, and we got Crown of Love and Intervention. The crowd were even more shocking than I expected though. We were right near the front at the side and the people around us were talking the whole way through and only knew Ready to Start and Reflektor. I just screeched Tunnels into their ears instead.

They're probably the ones who got the cheap tickets. Hate hyde park gigs myself, the only reason I didn't go. The last time they played there, so many people left after Mumford and sons.

They didn't play ATB - he just sang some of it during Intervention. Worse setlist, most of it in daylight, bad crowd. Only got really good at the end when it got dark and they played Reflektor, Hear Comes the Night Time and Wake Up.

Right up there with my favourites too. The Glasto 2007 version is brilliant. It’s probably mostly a case of whether Win can remember all of the lyrics. He still struggles with Power Out, amazingly.

I reckon it's because he's permanently distracted by dread at the thought of somebody finding his hidden cache of stolen basketballs.

Fourth time on seeing them and probably the best. First time at Leeds Festival in 2010 runs it close but I just think they've evolved so much since then, people are saying that the Reflektor shows are taking something away from the rawness of them, I love them any way they play live but I think I prefer them live now. Songs from Reflektor are so much better live too. I really can't get my head around the fact that people were disappointed or thought they were rubbish but each to their own I suppose, every time I see them I become obsessed even more by them, already looking forward to their next live shows and album! I doubt any Glasto headliner will top them for me!

I really can't get my head around the fact that people were disappointed or thought they were rubbish but each to their own I suppose

My disappointment comes from the fact they was so damn good at Earls Court! Everything about that gig was just so fantastically done and suited what they wanted to create with Reflektor that when I got to see them at Glastonbury it didn't quite live up to expectations....its nothing Arcade Fire done wrong at the Festival and it was still good but just didn't seem to have a special something to elevate it to a truely great glastonbury performence.

My disappointment comes from the fact they was so damn good at Earls Court! Everything about that gig was just so fantastically done and suited what they wanted to create with Reflektor that when I got to see them at Glastonbury it didn't quite live up to expectations....its nothing Arcade Fire done wrong at the Festival and it was still good but just didn't seem to have a special something to elevate it to a truely great glastonbury performence.

I loved Earls court but was blown away by glastonbury. I think it helped that I was with two people who know a few songs but aren't that into them who were positively beaming throughout and loving it.

Agreed, I much preferred Glastonbury to Earls Court, just like in 2010 I much preferred their Leeds Festival performance to their GMEX performance I seen a couple of months after! Maybe I just prefer festival performances, but for me the Glastonbury performance blew Earls Court out of the water. Out of interest did either of you two dress up for Earls Court?

Agreed, I much preferred Glastonbury to Earls Court, just like in 2010 I much preferred their Leeds Festival performance to their GMEX performance I seen a couple of months after! Maybe I just prefer festival performances, but for me the Glastonbury performance blew Earls Court out of the water. Out of interest did either of you two dress up for Earls Court?

Good point maybe its down to preferences. I can't actually think of any bands I've seen at a festival and their own show where I've prefered the festival show! (Mabe Muse at Wembley but I prefered the O2 show to Glastonbury on that tour :P)

I was going to, I brought a new bow tie with shinny bits on it and everything...but cocked up with a new white shirt I brought that day being the wrong size and then thought about the heat being to hot for wearing blazer anyway so just ended up with my "Who the fuck is Arcade Fire" T-Shirt :P (Thats a long story for a no!).

I was impressed with plenty of the people who did, some very impressive ideas!

Edited by LondonTom

I'm not sure what they could really have done to make it more special (bar maybe playing Intervention and Laika). The Glastonbury headline performances that are considered great generally aren't the ones peppered with special guests etc. They performed a greatest hits set incredibly well. What more could anyone want or expect at Glastonbury?

Each to there own though, and I wasn't at Earls Court so don't have that experience to compare it to. But I thought it was at least as good as the Blackpool gig last year, and better than both the Manchester shows on the Suburbs tour

I loved them at Glastonbury, up there with the best I have seen at the festival beaten only by Neil Young and Springsteen. I am watching the highlights now though and what I am seeing doesn't tally with what I remember, they seem so average on the TV. Lacking in energy compared to normal and Win's voice seems off, not sure if it's because I have a memory of it being amazing so it won't ever live up to it, or my memory is off and it really was average?

To compare I loved every second of Springsteen and Young while I was there, when I watched the coverage at home after you still got the sense they were amazingly special sets. Not with Arcade Fire and they're one of my favourite bands.

Someone put on Arcade Fire at a BBQ I was at today - first time I've been able to listen to them since my Glasto disappointment (major sound issues where I was stood - apologies if I sound like a broken record going on about it!). I'm glad they did because I'm now having flashbacks to moments throughout the gig I really enjoyed! I remember Reflektor being immense, and the encore being great - especially when some randommer put their arm round me as we sang away to Wake Up.

I might even be able to bring myself to watch the set back now!

Edited by Lubic87

This interests me as I didn't enjoy earls court much - awful sound (pun intended), setlist not to my taste, average venue, stressed from work and rushing to get drunk. Glastonbury was perfect for me - sounded amazing where i was, pleasantly relaxed and intoxicated, dry with wellies off and dancing on a blanket, played keep the car running and all at arguably the most iconic venue in the world.

'Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view' (Kenobi, 1983) :-)

Hmm, I like Normal Person live, but it’s still one of their weaker songs for me. Relektor, It’s Never Over, Afterlife, and Here Comes The Night Time are all great additions to the setlist.

I watched it back on iPlayer last night and thought it was excellent. Not on of the best sets I’ve ever seen from them, but pretty much as exactly as I’d remembered it.