Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

Win sexually assaulted somebody but thats being overlooked cause ya know, cant get a refund on a ticket this late in the game. Lots of people are in tough positions when it comes to the shows cause if it was all sold out then shifting them wouldnt be much trouble and its done and over with. For now the easiest course of action is have them end up walking out onstage to a pretty empty room every night. Everyone wouldnt be as conflicted if he had been sued or charged with a crime since it would be more clear cut.

Edited by Suprefan

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

https://annawharton.substack.com/p/if-im-lying-come-sue-me 

I thought it was fairly widely known. He went quiet for a couple of months but then came back with like nothing had happened. Again his statement for me was less than satisfactory to me. 

This is pretty grim. Don't know how he could keep that up to be honest. SO MUCH STRESS. Madness. 

P.s. I always take my wedding ring off to play guitar though. Does my head in changing chords and I need all the help I can get... 😃

47 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

1. It's claims of serious sexual assault. Clearly. Read the article.

2. It's not "just" that. It's claims of serious sexual assault. Clearly. Read the article.

3. This does not fall under the category of "very disappointing stuff" though, does it? It's claims of serious sexual assault. Clearly. Read the article.

4. No. No we haven't all done things like this. I would assume that a large amount of users on here haven't ever been accused of serious sexual assault.

5. What about by legal standards?

Don't even know where to start with the last line, I'm struggling to comprehend what on earth point it's trying to make.

You consider this "serious sexual assault" but in reality the claims are of a relatively minor nature, what used to be termed "indecent assault" in Britain. People need to keep a bit of perspective. He's not a violent rapist but it's clear he's a sleazy chancer, even if you believe his side of the story. Everyone can make their own mind up if what he has done means they can't go and support the band, but if his wife has forgiven him and supports him I suspect most fans will choose to overlook his behaviour. (I'm not a fan of the band BTW so it's not a decision I'll have to make).

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

You consider this "serious sexual assault" but in reality the claims are of a relatively minor nature, what used to be termed "indecent assault" in Britain. People need to keep a bit of perspective. He's not a violent rapist but it's clear he's a sleazy chancer, even if you believe his side of the story. Everyone can make their own mind up if what he has done means they can't go and support the band, but if his wife has forgiven him and supports him I suspect most fans will choose to overlook his behaviour. (I'm not a fan of the band BTW so it's not a decision I'll have to make).

It's also the fact that they are also currently just allegations or single person accounts... Some may be fabricated. May not be. May be exaggerated. May not be. May be misinterpreted. May not be. There's too much reality in the article and other reports on his character, as far as I see it for the former, at least not entirely fabricated. I'm feeling a couple of them are bang on the mark. God knows about the rest.

I'm more perturbed by this than the Ryan Adams stuff as the latter was/is clearly suffering from an addiction problem and his demons, where Win's stuff seems like straight up arseholery until proven otherwise...however, he does say he was in a bad place and battling the booze. The latter is not an excuse by any means and while the shit about putting Pitchfork in touch with other women he's been with is preposterous as he has clearly upset/damaged these women, his behaviour is addressed in the apology. He doesn't deny the damage, but does dispute the detail. He does have the right to defend himself if he feels like he is being lied about. If I've done 5 shit things and I'm being accused of 10, I'm going to apologise for 5 and protest 5.

Poor Regine too? Regardless of whether you think her statement is ill advised, unless she was involved in a weird Maxwell way (which I can't see), she must be all over the place right now.

Not defending him in this instance, but there definitely is a line of vagueness here. The people he was involved with say one version, he says it didn't happen that way.

Lily* really should consider contacting the authorities, or hopefully they'll contact her and the whole thing will be gone through more forensically. I can understand if she doesn't want to, but if you're speaking to a journalist about it, you should follow through. 

I was raving about We and had it on loads recently, but my appetite for it has obviously gone right now. Whether it comes back I guess I need more information. Right now I can't see myself standing in a field with my arms around female friends singing the refrain to Wake Up...

Hoping for peace and justice if appropriate to the women involved and a change of ways/mental state for Win. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, gizmoman said:

What would you consider serious then? 

Again, in the article itself

"According to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN), “Sexual assault is used to describe any sexual contact or behavior that occurs without explicit consent of the victim."

According to gizmoman it's of a relatively minor nature.

I wonder which of those are talking horseshit.

18 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

"According to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN), “Sexual assault is used to describe any sexual contact or behavior that occurs without explicit consent of the victim."

The Pitchfork article? Not that it makes it any better or worse but I haven't read about any "Sexual Assault" allegations. Accusations of "Sexual Misconduct" yeah. 

Just reread the bit where she later came to view them as sexual assaults so I had missed it somehow.

Edited by elgatonegrofabricwardrobe
Missed it

35 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

You used the term "serious sexual assault" not "sexual assault", there is a difference, that is why I pointed it out, there is a world of difference between unwanted touching, for example, and a violent sexual attack, that is why I said we need a bit of perspective, doesn't make the act any less unpleasant but there's no need to overplay what actually happened.

"what would you consider serious then?",  Well being dragged off the street and raped would be an example, but the point is there is a whole spectrum of sexual offending, this particular case seems to be at the lower end. (and I'm not making this point to excuse him, he clearly acted like a scumbag).

29 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

You used the term "serious sexual assault" not "sexual assault", there is a difference, that is why I pointed it out, there is a world of difference between unwanted touching, for example, and a violent sexual attack, that is why I said we need a bit of perspective, doesn't make the act any less unpleasant but there's no need to overplay what actually happened.

"what would you consider serious then?",  Well being dragged off the street and raped would be an example, but the point is there is a whole spectrum of sexual offending, this particular case seems to be at the lower end. (and I'm not making this point to excuse him, he clearly acted like a scumbag).

Why are you on the internet downplaying a sexual assault? Honestly, why?

Your definitions are a nonsense and I don't recognise them as truthful at all. Claiming what he has been accused of is not serious is honestly alarming. You should have a think about why you hold that opinion.

Being pedantic about whether or not a sexual assault should have the prefix of "serious" is, in my opinion, very strange behaviour and is clearly attempting to downplay it because it doesn't fit into your "spectrum" or whatever.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Why are you on the internet downplaying a sexual assault? Honestly, why?

Your definitions are a nonsense and I don't recognise them as truthful at all. Claiming what he has been accused of is not serious is honestly alarming. You should have a think about why you hold that opinion.

Being pedantic about whether or not a sexual assault should have the prefix of "serious" is, in my opinion, very strange behaviour and is clearly attempting to downplay it because it doesn't fit into your "spectrum" or whatever.

If it is that serious why is he not in jail? Or being questioned by the authorities? There is an air of hysteria on here, take a step back and look at this situation rationally, it's not the crime of the century. That's not me "downplaying" it, just stating a fact.

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

If it is that serious why is he not in jail? Or being questioned by the authorities? There is an air of hysteria on here, take a step back and look at this situation rationally, it's not the crime of the century. That's not me "downplaying" it, just stating a fact.

Wow, just wow. 

Beggars belief someone would sit there and type the dumb shit you have and actually press send.

9 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Wow, just wow. 

Beggars belief someone would sit there and type the dumb shit you have and actually press send.

Even more incredible that you are bothering to respond to it, I'll save you the trouble of thinking of more insults and not engage further, have a good night.

Thank fuck for that.

Anyway, some of the footage from last night looks annoyingly brilliant and I'll likely try and snap up cheapo resale for one of the dates just so I can begrudgingly see them before the inevitable hiatus. I really doubt there'll be demand from promoters at next summer's festivals with this hanging over them and that's a key bit of income for the band, so I can't see them do anything but try and finish this tour and take a break for a couple of years.

6 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Even more incredible that you are bothering to respond to it, I'll save you the trouble of thinking of more insults and not engage further, have a good night.

You want to know why I'm "bothering to reply to it"? Because I'm completely exhausted and tired of people like you who are so desperate to discredit women who are victims of sexual assault, or look to downplay the seriousness of allegations being made. Sick to death of men excusing men for inexcusable behaviour. Sick to death of men abusing their positions of power by abusing women and people like you only interested in categorising those offenses.

Sick to death of people like you and your "Well, technically he didn't drag her into a bush and rape her" bullshit because YOU, my friend, and your opinions are the EXACT reason women don't report assaults because they know that even if they manage to summon the frankly superhuman strength to go and tell someone, they'll likely come across some nobhead with a clipboard looking to categorise them into a "spectrum" and minimise and minimise the assault until they're too embarrassed to see it through.

So whatever, call it an outburst, call it "hysteria", call it what you want but you are embarrassing and you're a perfect example of why so many women live in a constant state of fear and I don't care if I've the piss taken out of me here or anywhere, I'll call it out when I see it, because I care about the women in my life; friends, family, and most importantly the next generation of young girls and women who see this sort of attitude from people like you and think that's how the world works. Bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

I just find it crazy that he can behave in such a predatory way and still command the respect of an arena full of people.  I worry what that feels like to any victim of abuse, not just his victims.

2 hours ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

You want to know why I'm "bothering to reply to it"? Because I'm completely exhausted and tired of people like you who are so desperate to discredit women who are victims of sexual assault, or look to downplay the seriousness of allegations being made. Sick to death of men excusing men for inexcusable behaviour. Sick to death of men abusing their positions of power by abusing women and people like you only interested in categorising those offenses.

Sick to death of people like you and your "Well, technically he didn't drag her into a bush and rape her" bullshit because YOU, my friend, and your opinions are the EXACT reason women don't report assaults because they know that even if they manage to summon the frankly superhuman strength to go and tell someone, they'll likely come across some nobhead with a clipboard looking to categorise them into a "spectrum" and minimise and minimise the assault until they're too embarrassed to see it through.

So whatever, call it an outburst, call it "hysteria", call it what you want but you are embarrassing and you're a perfect example of why so many women live in a constant state of fear and I don't care if I've the piss taken out of me here or anywhere, I'll call it out when I see it, because I care about the women in my life; friends, family, and most importantly the next generation of young girls and women who see this sort of attitude from people like you and think that's how the world works. Bullshit.

Excellent post. I reported it when I was sexually assaulted but ended up not following it up because the policeman who was put on it made me feel like shit. It's really unlikely you'll be taken seriously.

Really awful news. Didn’t find out till after Leeds. Thoughts with the victims. Got London and Manchester tickets and I’m really debating going. Really don’t know what to do. 

The thing I don’t get is how Regine can still perform onstage with her husband who has allegedly done what he’s done. How the band can also perform without an investigation is baffling. Money talks doesn’t it. 

It’s really gutting that a man whose lyrics and tunes I absolutely adore, that I listen to everyday has potentially this side to him. If it’s true the whole Arcade Fire we do this together and for the kids and everything that’s right in the world is a load of bollocks and if Arcade Fires message is tainted then thats really shit as I’ve relied on there music in tough times and if Win can do something like that after everything AF have done and stand for then it makes me question what good things I thought I could rely on. 

9 hours ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Hear, hear. 

11 hours ago, gizmoman said:

To be perfectly honest as a woman I would be more upset and it would have more of an impact on my mental state if someone I knew liked and thought I could trust behaved like this than if I was more violently raped by a complete stranger. A complete stranger doing something it's just bad luck, wrong place, wrong time but someone you liked cared for treating you like that would make you question your judgement, yourself and far more likely to have much longer term impacts psychologically. I think your distinctions show a complete lack of understanding about the emotional impact of the behaviour. 

8 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Excellent post. I reported it when I was sexually assaulted but ended up not following it up because the policeman who was put on it made me feel like shit. It's really unlikely you'll be taken seriously.

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you.

It's infuriating and dangerous to perpetuate the myth that there is somehow a sliding scale, and that it should be at the forefront of the conversation, ahead of caring for victims. So much gets dismissed that way and as a society we fail women with those attitudes.

24 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

To be perfectly honest as a woman I would be more upset and it would have more of an impact on my mental state if someone I knew liked and thought I could trust behaved like this than if I was more violently raped by a complete stranger. A complete stranger doing something it's just bad luck, wrong place, wrong time but someone you liked cared for treating you like that would make you question your judgement, yourself and far more likely to have much longer term impacts psychologically. I think your distinctions show a complete lack of understanding about the emotional impact of the behaviour. 

Yes and I think this would be even greater given the age of the victims. I am older now and am unfortunately not too surprised by this kind of things, but would have been, and been close to this kind of thing, in my younger years. 

You'd think a man in his late thirties would get this too...

For me anyway I always had a feel he was an arrogant a-hole, but liked the music. 

I know it's not a key factor to the is it true/not etc but I do hope this is picked up by authorities. 

26 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you.

It's infuriating and dangerous to perpetuate the myth that there is somehow a sliding scale, and that it should be at the forefront of the conversation, ahead of caring for victims. So much gets dismissed that way and as a society we fail women with those attitudes.

Thank you. I think it's way more common than most people realise though and so easy to get away with.