Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Ex Machina in the usual places. My most anticipated film of the year so far.

Going to sit down and enjoy this this evening. Similarly it's the film I've been looking forward to the most since Interstellar. Not enough grade A sci fi these days (although the new Neil Blomkampf film has promise).

The movie has definitely drifted into "shite" territory with me as well.

As for Unfriended... well. That's an interesting 80 minutes. Veers between really good and really shit with such ease that it's hard to tell what my final verdict is. It's extremely well put together at times, and the concept is magnificent, even if it's well over the top. Doesn't rely on cheap scares, doesn't rely on the clichés a lot of the time, and there's some genuinely chilling scenes. At the same time, there's outrageously bad scenes and some horrific dialogue. It gets the big stuff right for the most part. And I was always glued to the screen.

If I had to give it a rating, I'd maybe go as high as 8/10.

Sounds interesting. Hadn't heard of it. Where did you get hold of it? Can't see it in the usual places

So very clearly didn't :) Now go watch your WWF (or whatever its called these days) :D

Little boys who need to grow up and move the fuck out of their mums houses ^ all of the above :D

This coming from the grown up without a job because they found work too hard :P

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So very clearly didn't :) Now go watch your WWF (or whatever its called these days) :D

Little boys who need to grow up and move the fuck out of their mums houses ^ all of the above :D

Big talk for somebody who spends so much time getting wound up about pointless shit on the internet, Barry lad.

• Upvote 1

I love the visual style of Blomkampf's work.

Me too and I thought he made the best sci-fi bounty hunter since Fett in Oblivion but no matter how many films he makes it's always "BY THE DIRECTOR OF DISTRICT 9".

A bit like the Wachowskis will always be "FROM THE CREATORS OF THE MATRIX".

(At least until any of them make another good film)

Chappie was as good as anything he's done. Again a visual treat with a more profound message that you can take away or ignore at your choice rather than being shoved down your throat.

Going to give ex machina a shot now.

Saving like a bugger means I can't go to the pictures to see the new Mad Max film, but every single opinion I have heard has been overwhelmingly positive (except from that ridiculous blogger who claims it is some sort of assault on his maleness :P). If you've got the pennies, get yourself to the flicks and watch it I reckon.

Mad Max was a batshit crazy, relentless attack on the senses and I loved it.

This is about the same report that everyone I know has given. Like they've taken the last 30 minutes of MM3, cranked up the nitrous and made it into a whole film that never drops the pace for a moment. If every one of this summer's reboots ends up being as well received as this we might well be in for a good year for films yet.

To balance it up for you, Kermode gave it 3 out of 5 and reckons the action is too much and becomes boring after 2 hours.

The film is pretty much one long car chase.

Haven't seen it yet but reckon this could well be closer to my feelings when I do. I do tend to get a bit bored with endless action scenes, fight scenes and car chases. Still going to see it though cos it'll still be fun up until then

Edited by philipsteak