Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Watched American History X today. Brilliant film.

Indeed

The symbolism of showing Derek's earlier life in black and white where he literally see's everyone as black or white is very clever.

Indeed

The symbolism of showing Derek's earlier life in black and white where he literally see's everyone as black or white is very clever.

Absolutely.

That is some hard watching, the sound of teeth scraping haunted me for some time after.

Yeah, that's a really brutal scene but pretty powerful. I love the look on Danny's face afterwards as he types and deletes about his brothers' sentence while thinking about this.

Watched American History X today. Brilliant film.

Contains the worst movie mistake ever though.When Edward Furlongs character gets shot he tosses up his paper which gets seen dropping in different places as he falls then at the end when he's slumped down its back in his hand!

Contains the worst movie mistake ever though.When Edward Furlongs character gets shot he tosses up his paper which gets seen dropping in different places as he falls then at the end when he's slumped down its back in his hand!

Yeah, that is a terrible mistake.

[spoiler that shit though.

Really want to watch Whiplash, struggling to get somebody to come with me. Probably going to see Ex-Machina tomorrow though, doesn't look like my usual thing, but I bloody love Domnall Gleeson. I picked up The Boxtrolls on Blu-ray today, so I'm about to settle in with a brew and finally watch it after missing it in the pictures.

Saw Whiplash today and really, really enjoyed it though it may not be for everyone. Also, I saw Birdman a few weeks back and thought it was okay, fantastic acting but as someone said earlier it didn't leave the lasting impression I hoped.

I share your feelings on both of them. Great acting in Birdman but I really didn't think that much of the film itself.

I watched Whip It on Netflix last night after meaning to watch it for a long time, I enjoyed it, but strip away the roller-derby schtick, Ellen Page, Juliet Lewis and Har Mar Superstar and it's just a very formulaic teen film. Luckily the roller derby schtick, Ellen Page, Juliet Lewis and Har Mar Superstar are all very entertaining, but it struck me as a terrible waste of potential, I would have loved it if I'd have seen it when I was 15 though. it has to be said, the were some very ropey soundtrack choices.

Inherent Vice was okay. Worth a watch but - unlike Big Lebowski - not a film I'm keen to rewatch.

American Sniper was better than expected.Was expecting it to be a really nasty gung-ho John Wayne level flick, which on some level it was, but it did show the trauma of non-Spec Forces troops, the gross injuries, the destruction. Filmed some of CK's worst statements too which was relatively brave.