2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

An hour is long enough to form an opinion in fairness.

When I go to Dallas to check out Dealey Plaza on a JFK assassination nerd out I'll time it with a Bruce gig and hold a gun to your head to go.

But if you don't enjoy it I'll be pulling the trigger.

Thats legal in Texas anyway right? Killing someone who disagrees with you?

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attended my first Bruce concert at Hyde Park last weekend, just to see what all the buzz was about. And when my friends got chills I mostly thought it was quite boring (except when Macca joined), the best part was the drunk naked guys dancing nearby, a girl clearly on some kind of drugs and a guy boosting an old lady (60+) on his shoulders for an enitre song. Quite overrated act in my opinion, but im not a fan.

Did watch Pearl Jam week before HRC, and that was awesome, I'd love to see them at Glastonbury next year.

Edited by Ovechkin

You saw him long enough to know you probably wouldn't have enjoyed the gig but you cant saw with any certainty.

Oh, I can. :lol:

Even if I'd thought that Bruce was very very good - something I know I'm easily capable of doing from my work here over the years, even when I detest an act - I still wouldn't have liked it.

Even if I'd started loving him cos I thought he was very very good that night, I still wouldn't have enjoyed it.

I'd had ... erm ... too many enhancements, and it was simply the wrong type of music for that. :P ... BUT, that doesn't stop me from recognising the good.

As i'd done the night before for Neil Young, when in a similar state it was also totally wrong for what i wanted, so I left not long after he started. But he was showing greatness from the off, and it couldn't be missed. Unlike Bruce.

Just wanna chuck my 2 cents in about Bruce and fan boys, when he was announced for IOW i was really excited about seeing a legend, didnt know too much so got myself the best of and thought it was the biggest pile of crap i've ever listened to. Pure drivel! I was convinced that as he was on for 3 hours i would catch half hour, all i can say is thats half hour i won't get back. So very boring, i had to force myself and my friends to stay for half hour to see if he got better, which he didn't. I'd rather slap myself in the head with a soggy bit of bread for a week than watch a 3 hour bruce set.

I could not understand for the life of me how you can sit through 3 hours of that. I think i'd struggle with a 3 hour set of my favourite band. So many people were saying it was life changing and that i was dense and ignorant for finding it boring and going to rock out with the Darkness instead.

I dont like Bruce he's rubbish, oh and also i hate Metallica, who have ridiculous fan boys who ruined biffy at download and vomited with rage when i said i hate Metallica and didn't watch them. F@*king fan boys!

I'd wondered in the past what it would be like to see someone do 3+ hours. Would it be dull, lose momentum...

I saw Paul McCartney do 2.5 hours last year and Bruce do 3.5 this year. I could happily have carried on all night.

Pearl Jam are my favourite band of all time*, at and IOW they played two hours, and yer there were one or two songs realistically i would've liked them to play but 3 hours + is too much.

Set length and enjoyment of a gig aren't exponentially linked. One of my favourite gigs of all time was a NoFX show and they played for just over an hour. I wouldnt have enjoyed that gig three times as much if they played for over 3 hours, i probably would've enjoyed it less because it would have been less intense.

I think three hours is self indulgent and the set just feels like drawn out overblown hoopla, especially in Bruce's case.

*The only band that top Pearl Jam for me are The Smiths and if they ever reformed (which is unlikely and many on this forum think reformations are bad things, that's a different argument) my perfect set would probably be only 2 hours long.

Some bands and fans suit three hour gigs, i don't fall into the category and nor do bands i like.

Deal with it fan boys

Have to admit I watched an hour :ninja:

I left because I wanted to try and salvage my evening. If he didnt have me by an hour, then I don't think he ever was, and didn't deserve me to stay.

Saying that, I realise Glastonbury was not the best setting to take in a Bruce show. More than willing (if someone bought me a ticket or dragged me along) to give it a go in a setting that is more suited to him (i.e. actual fans getting into it). He's not playing round me anytime soon though, but if he were to play somewhere like the Cowboys stadium then I imagine that would be a pretty epic americana experience, even if i didn't like the music.

Pearl Jam are my favourite band of all time*, at and IOW they played two hours, and yer there were one or two songs realistically i would've liked them to play but 3 hours + is too much.

Set length and enjoyment of a gig aren't exponentially linked. One of my favourite gigs of all time was a NoFX show and they played for just over an hour. I wouldnt have enjoyed that gig three times as much if they played for over 3 hours, i probably would've enjoyed it less because it would have been less intense.

I think three hours is self indulgent and the set just feels like drawn out overblown hoopla, especially in Bruce's case.

*The only band that top Pearl Jam for me are The Smiths and if they ever reformed (which is unlikely and many on this forum think reformations are bad things, that's a different argument) my perfect set would probably be only 2 hours long.

Some bands and fans suit three hour gigs, i don't fall into the category and nor do bands i like.

Deal with it fan boys

Pyramid Friday

Reformed Northerners

hyped up 'urban' shit from London

Sat

Big American Rock Band

hyped up hipster shit from London

Sun

Pop Act*

hyped up acousticy folky shit from London

Other Friday

Landfill band from five years ago

hyped up shit from Brooklyn

Sat

Big American Alternative Band

wistful/boring Next Big Thing

Sun

90s dance act

band inspired by 90s dance acts

dunno about you lot, but that line up looks tip top to me.

*will get biggest crowd of the weekend by far.

I love the way (some) people who think Bruce is bland think that people who don't think he's bland are in some kind of denial

who's that you're talking about then? It ain't me. You're quite welcome to like the things that I think are shite. :)

I'm simply expressing my opinion. It's people like you who are posting back on the basis that my opinion is somehow not valid. ;)

Deal with it fan boys

That pretty much sums them up perfectly but people think Bruce was bland imagine fake Bruce's with even poorer songwriting capabilities at least Bruce Springsteen actually is Bruce Springsteen.

In their defence I think they are slightly improving but I am yet to see a more ready salted band live.