2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what pre-conceptions? Are you saying I didn't tell you I didn't think you'd like him?

nope.

I'm saying your belief that I wouldn't like him at the time you had that thought was completely wrong. I was wanting to see him, and wanting to like him.

Of course, it turned out that you were right after all. Which only gets to show that you know he's dull. :lol:

Ahh, Springsteen fan-boys, theres one where I work, a good friend as well, who cant get his head round the fact that I didnt see him in 2009 even though I dont like him.

I actually hate the sound of his voice, IMO one of the worst singing voices going, and even though my work mate knows I dont like him I still get bombarded with Springsteen facts and videos as if it will change my opinion

"He's playing 3 and a half hour sets, how about that Phil"..........."I wouldnt watch someone I actually like for that long, never mind Springsteen"

My work mate made a big deal over him playing guitar solos on this tour. He showed me videos of Springsteen crouched down on stage playing solos looking like he was about to curl one out in his pants, and then made out like it was the greatest thing ever.

Fanboys haha !!

Edited by Craigston

the fact that I liked him before he was particularly famous... how does that work?

him being famous or not is 100% unrelated to whether anyone is suffering from fan-dom (and is unable to be objective as a result).

Someone (generally) starts liking someone because they like their stuff. But once their liking gets beyond a particular point, their ability to be objective about the thing they like is normally impaired.

What i've said there is a long way for being a wacky idea. It's pretty much a totally accepted idea.

Edited by eFestivals

him being famous or not is 100% unrelated to whether anyone is suffering from fan-dom (and is unable to be objective as a result).

Someone (generally) starts liking someone because they like their stuff. But once their liking gets beyond a particular point, their ability to be objective about the thing they like is normally impaired.

What i've said there is a long way for being a wacky idea. It's pretty much a totally accepted idea.

You guys are talking about being "objective" when listening to music, but what do you mean by this? That the live playing accurately represents the albums? That the notes are played correctly, or the singing is in tune? Perhaps the between-song banter is grammatically correct?

A song being "boring" or "rubbish", or "one of his best" isn't really something that can be said objectively.

:)

You guys are talking about being "objective" when listening to music, but what do you mean by this? That the live playing accurately represents the albums? That the notes are played correctly, or the singing is in tune? Perhaps the between-song banter is grammatically correct?

A song being "boring" or "rubbish", or "one of his best" isn't really something that can be said objectively.

:)

I'm not trying to say that anyone is achieving "full objectivity".

I'm merely saying that someone with a vested interest in a band - because they're a mega-fan - are not best placed to give the nearest-to-objective view of all those who might (say) hear that band's new album. Because they're a fan they're more predisposed than others to like something by that band even if it wasn't much kop.

It's much like asking me, the owner of efestivals, to give an objective view of eFestivals. Few would deny the idea that others are better placed than me to give that objective view, because they don't have an existing relationship with eFestivals.

Course there's something. But a lot of people I know who now love Bruce originally thought he was like a John Mellencamp or even "Garth Brooks without the hat" (funny to be fair). Until they saw him live.

Which you didn't do Neil in fairness. I don't care how quickly you think you can judge a gig, 5 minutes of anyones gig isn't enough to form an opinion on anything. Other than that 5 minutes you saw of course. From 6 minutes onwards you don't have an opinion because you weren't there.

Same for me with Radiohead. Was only after I saw them live - ALL of their gig :P - that I can, with knowledge and experience - say that I'm not a fan.

If someone watches a whole Bruce show, as Ed did, and says after that they think hes boring then fair enough. No issue with that.

Have to admit I watched an hour :ninja:

I left because I wanted to try and salvage my evening. If he didnt have me by an hour, then I don't think he ever was, and didn't deserve me to stay.

Saying that, I realise Glastonbury was not the best setting to take in a Bruce show. More than willing (if someone bought me a ticket or dragged me along) to give it a go in a setting that is more suited to him (i.e. actual fans getting into it). He's not playing round me anytime soon though, but if he were to play somewhere like the Cowboys stadium then I imagine that would be a pretty epic americana experience, even if i didn't like the music.

Which you didn't do Neil in fairness.

True. But then again you don't need to look at the whole steaming dungheap to know it's made up of poo. :P

I don't care how quickly you think you can judge a gig, 5 minutes of anyones gig isn't enough to form an opinion on anything.

yeah it was. It was plenty long enough for me to get to know that no matter how long I might stay I wasn't going to be feeling any different at the end.

I left for that reason. I didn't leave because I'd seen enough to form my own opinion on that show (and me having said that is naff all differnet to what I've always said).

From 6 minutes onwards you don't have a valid opinion because you weren't there.

I didn't have to be there myself to hear the valid opinions of others.

And I heard more than enough of them the next day to know how it went. And how it went was like this:-

- those who already loved him thought it was fantastic.

- those who didn't have an attachment to him thought it dull.

There were a few outside of those, but proportionately they were small in number of those I spoke to. Pretty much the same was mirrored on these forums afterwards.

But now, even the Bruce fans think it wasn't the best, a different view to the one they expressed immediately afterwards.

And that says to me that the many I spoke to the next day (which some twats here said I made up, they didn't believe that some didn't like it :lol:) were more on the ball about it than the Bruce fans. Which comes back and proves more more-objective point.

Same for me with Radiohead. Was only after I saw them live - ALL of their gig :P - that I can, with knowledge and experience - say that I wasn't a fan.

As I said: you don't need to look at the whole steaming dungheap to know it's made up of poo.

As Rod Stewart proved to me. And others have done too.

Just wanna chuck my 2 cents in about Bruce and fan boys, when he was announced for IOW i was really excited about seeing a legend, didnt know too much so got myself the best of and thought it was the biggest pile of crap i've ever listened to. Pure drivel! I was convinced that as he was on for 3 hours i would catch half hour, all i can say is thats half hour i won't get back. So very boring, i had to force myself and my friends to stay for half hour to see if he got better, which he didn't. I'd rather slap myself in the head with a soggy bit of bread for a week than watch a 3 hour bruce set.

I could not understand for the life of me how you can sit through 3 hours of that. I think i'd struggle with a 3 hour set of my favourite band. So many people were saying it was life changing and that i was dense and ignorant for finding it boring and going to rock out with the Darkness instead.

I dont like Bruce he's rubbish, oh and also i hate Metallica, who have ridiculous fan boys who ruined biffy at download and vomited with rage when i said i hate Metallica and didn't watch them. F@*king fan boys!