The state of the ground.

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, watsonjm said:

Pegs going in at all? or a mallet needed?

I cannot take a mallet. Firstly because I CBA to bring it on the train and secondly because I don't actually posses one. So if anyone sees a harassed-looked sunburned lady with blonde (or possibly pink) hair trying to pitch a tent on Tom's Field on Monday by hitting pegs with a shoe please offer help!

14 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I cannot take a mallet. Firstly because I CBA to bring it on the train and secondly because I don't actually posses one. So if anyone sees a harassed-looked sunburned lady with blonde (or possibly pink) hair trying to pitch a tent on Tom's Field on Monday by hitting pegs with a shoe please offer help!

You can get them for 3 or 4 quid from sports direct. I just put mine in my tent bag with the pegs. Not talking massive or anything. About 12 inches. (Snigger)

Failing that, you're in a camping field, just offer your neighbour a cold one then casually remark you've forgotten your mallet!:)

I've got those tent pegs that are basically actual nine inch nails after several years of over a week at boomtown's inch deep soil - problem solved! Keep waiting for some overzealous security guy to consider them a threat though

38 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Never taken a mallet .. looking like I'm gonna need one  this time .... nearly hammer time :)

It used to be one of mine but a guy nicked it the other year! He and his girlfriend had a huge fight putting the tent up, then she realised they weren't actually in the hospitality area where she thought they were meant to be so they upped sticks and left, with my mallet. Right pissed me off that. I'd still lend it again though :)

9 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Any man who wears sandals/flip flops anywhere that's not within splashing distance of a swimming pool deserves piss covered feet. Unacceptable behaviour. 

Hahaha I live in Cornwall and wear flip flops all the time all year round. I have one pair of shoes and seven pairs of flip flops. Although I prefer to be completely barefoot. 

I'm going a bit controversial here as I can see from the last few posts (!), but I love nothing more than wandering about all day in my flip flops with the breeze through my toes.  If it was safe to do so, I wouldn't be wearing anything on my feet at all.  From spring to summer, I can go nearly a whole 6 months without putting a pair of socks on - unless I have to go to a wedding or something.  

39 minutes ago, maclauk said:

There is a bloody good reason to avoid Hunter's.

Actually Hunters are really good as long as you go for the Field range (£££), which are the original boot they made for farmers and whatnot.  The rest of their stuff is just fashion boots. 

9 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Any man who wears sandals/flip flops anywhere that's not within splashing distance of a swimming pool deserves piss covered feet. Unacceptable behaviour. 

Ran out of upvotes but agreed! My OT keeps going on at me to get flip flops for the summer and I tell her exactly the same thing.  Nothing worse than sitting in a beer garden in summer having some grub when some bloke comes along with his manky feet all in your face.  Some bloke in my work runs about in sandals with socks all year, strange one he is.

Edited by Dave_c

30 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It used to be one of mine but a guy nicked it the other year! He and his girlfriend had a huge fight putting the tent up, then she realised they weren't actually in the hospitality area where she thought they were meant to be so they upped sticks and left, with my mallet. Right pissed me off that. I'd still lend it again though :)

I'd be right livid at that. Im livid for you. But yeah most people wouldn't do that.

Off last minute shopping today. Adding a mallet to my list.

9 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I'll be in Tom's Field on Monday, arriving around 11 hopefully, and I'll have a mallet you can borrow. If you're struggling, look for an orange and grey 3-man with a cuddly triceratops sitting on the roof :)

22 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

I'll be in Tom's Field on Monday, arriving around 11 hopefully, and I'll have a mallet you can borrow. If you're struggling, look for an orange and grey 3-man with a cuddly triceratops sitting on the roof :)

Awesome, thank you :)

22 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

My only beef with flip flops is that they act like cheese wire on my fragile little feet. Actually quite envious of everyone else being able to wear them

Sandals/slipons are your friends. Flip flops are the enemy. I too have soft, delicate and yielding feet.  

Edited by balti-pie