The state of the ground.

Sawdusty surfer

8 hours ago, Keithy said:

The wellies v boots thing is very straightforward. Welly wearers are idiots and walking boots people are just better.

You wouldn't go hiking or trekking across muddy fields for 5 days in wellies, so why do it at Glastonbury?!

Yet thousands of agricultural worker manage to long days on thier feet in wellies with no issues. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Keithy said:

The wellies v boots thing is very straightforward. Welly wearers are idiots and walking boots people are just better.

You wouldn't go hiking or trekking across muddy fields for 5 days in wellies, so why do it at Glastonbury?!

Ive never understood the welly side of things, yes they protect your legs but they arent designed for a lot of walking in and at glastonbury rain or shine guess what it involves over the week? If I spent a week in wellys id end up with a sweatrash on my legs and blisters all over my feet, getting a bit of mud on your legs is more then a good bargain to avoid that. Just got myself a pair of these 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013R9NHSM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as my last set of boots basically had it after the mudfest last year(didnt do to bad id had them since 2013) and they are nice and comfy, Not the best boots but good enough espcially for the price. £35 a bargin when I see some of the stupid money ive seen `branded` walking boots (berghaus etc) going for in stores

Edited by waterfalls212434

The downside of walking boots as far as I can see (and please correct me if I'm wrong), is that you need to wear them in beforehand. 

For a lot of folk this is impractical for something that will be worn 5 days a year. I literally dig my wellies out once per year, slip them on and off you go.  

3 minutes ago, nikkic said:

The downside of walking boots as far as I can see (and please correct me if I'm wrong), is that you need to wear them in beforehand. 

For a lot of folk this is impractical for something that will be worn 5 days a year. I literally dig my wellies out once per year, slip them on and off you go.  

Yeah completely this. I also don't want to spend the money on shoes I'll only wear five days a year. Wellies are cheap.

4 minutes ago, nikkic said:

What if you dont wear wellys for the rest of the year? Also wellys feel like unworn in boots anyway so.......

The whole point is they are not designed for a lot of walking in, which isnt good news for your feet at glastonbury, mind you the wearing in thing is overplayed, I got that pair I mention above new on Wednesday, They were a bit stiff at first but I wore them around town that day running errands, by the time I got home that evening they started to feel just right for me so its not like its a major chore.

1 minute ago, waterfalls212434 said:

What if you dont wear wellys for the rest of the year? Also wellys feel like unworn in boots anyway so.......

The whole point is they are not designed for a lot of walking in, which isnt good news for your feet at glastonbury, mind you the wearing in thing is overplayed, I got that pair I mention above new on Wednesday, They were a bit stiff at first but I wore them around town that day running errands, by the time I got home that evening they started to feel just right for me so its not like its a major chore.

Still more of a chore than I need, I've never had to wear wellies in! 

Each to their own and all that, but wellies do me just fine. 

Although we'll all be in trainers this year! 

9 hours ago, Keithy said:

You're preaching to the converted here! Bought walking boots for the first time after many years of having wellies. Comfort is better, traction is better, I'm better :D

im taking gortex walking boots, wellies and trainers .All bases covered.

I agree that the boots are more comfortable. But what i will say for wellies is by day 3 , warm or wet years, at the mens urinals.Where the grass around the trough becomes a sponge of 2 inch deep piss. Seen guys in flip flops wade through that . You stride with confidence through that with the old rubber boots my friends.

40 minutes ago, sisco said:

Converse for me this year, I have complete faith the weather is going to be perfect!

Broke my feet so bad with converse in 2008 i bought 2nd hand boots off (think it was banana joe's) in order to walk again.

never again.decent wellies - boots that ive worn in and decent trainers.

Converse have no soles.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Walking boots for all weathers except standing water. It's not the walking that wrecks yer feet, it's the standing at stages, need summat cushiony.

exactly!! I've not worn wellies since they f*cked my feet in 2008, walking boots all the way as I'll be wearing them if sunny too I'll just be swaping waterproof socks for some nice coolmax or wicking socks :)

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

exactly!! I've not worn wellies since they f*cked my feet in 2008, walking boots all the way as I'll be wearing them if sunny too I'll just be swaping waterproof socks for some nice coolmax or wicking socks :)

Walking boots all day long. Would rather have mud from ankle to calves than wellies. 

1 hour ago, Dyceloon said:

I agree that the boots are more comfortable. But what i will say for wellies is by day 3 , warm or wet years, at the mens urinals.Where the grass around the trough becomes a sponge of 2 inch deep piss. Seen guys in flip flops wade through that . You stride with confidence through that with the old rubber boots my friends.

Any man who wears sandals/flip flops anywhere that's not within splashing distance of a swimming pool deserves piss covered feet. Unacceptable behaviour. 

1 hour ago, Dyceloon said:

This is a good point. While the rest if the site may be dry there will still be points where your feet need a bit more protection than fabric/leather

If in doubt put rubber on it!