Folk, Country, Americana at Glastonbury 2017

TheSheriff

Over the years some of my favourite acts have come these genres, hopefully 2017 will have some more crackers. Here's a few I think may play and some that I'd love to see.

Billy Bragg & Joe Henry (As well as Bill's usual Left Field show)

Martha Wainwright (new album coming out)

First Aid Kit

Margo Price

The Staves

Teddy Thompson

Zac Brown Band 

Emmylou Harris 

Kacey Musgraves

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to the Shrewsbury Folk Festival this year and fell across Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, a band I'd never heard of before.  Superb.  Worth checking out if you don't know them and they'd go down really well.

Some great acts above, agree Jason Isbell would be highly welcome, his last two albums are stunning.

First Aid Kit may have a new album by then, and they've already played the festival so reasonable chance they could return.

The Mavericks are one I'd like to see again, they have a live album coming, Lucinda Williams regularly tours, Margo Price maybe a chance with her links to Jack White, and what about Jack himself doing an acoustic set?

A few I'd like to see...

Danny & The Champions of the World 

Decemberists

Hollis Brown

Cracker

First Aid Kit (combo of sunshine, cider and making the mistake of a little lie down meant I fell asleep halfway through their Latitude set)

Counting Crows (headline Acoustic please)

Golden Smog

1 hour ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Would LOVE to see Bill Callahan in some capacity.

Also Damien Jurado wouldn't go a miss. 

Hell yes! Callahan on the Park has been a dream for some time. Saw Jurado earlier this year when I wasn't sure about the new album but he knocked it out of the park (as he would say).

Does Angel Olsen still fit in this category? I want her anyway.

1 minute ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Hell yes! Callahan on the Park has been a dream for some time. Saw Jurado earlier this year when I wasn't sure about the new album but he knocked it out of the park (as he would say).

Does Angel Olsen still fit in this category? I want her anyway.

Niice, I'm yet to see either. Jurado would suit The Park down to the ground. I would rather see Bill Callahan on something a bit more intimate, like the Avalon stage. Or am I being overly ambitious?

I could go for:

Shooglenifty (even though the frontman looks like what would happen if the Childcatcher gave up and became a traveller)

Demon Barbers XL (what''s not to like about sword dancing?)

3 Daft Monkeys (always play anyway but they're working on a new album at the moment)

Granny's Attic (saw them at a street show for Horsham Folk Club, young lads but very good traditional folk)

Chumbawamba (incredibly unlikely but their folk incarnation was amazing)

Telltale Tusk (missed them this year :( )

Plus definite upvotes for First Aid Kit and an Counting Crows acoustic set!

Have to say that Avalon in particular may be the best place in my mind for just stopping and listening to whatever's happening.

Edited by Quark

Alison Krauss & Union Station. Or anything Jerry Douglas related. 

But its difficult. No one goes to the gigs really. Patti Griffin (with Dave Pulkingham, who is shit hot) this year played to 60 or 70 people. Acoustic tent completely empty. 

Gretchen Peters (not terribly exciting I know) was the same in 2013. 

These sorts are used to playing places like the Ryman and the like so being carted over to a field in Somerset to play to a handful of people looking to get out of the rain is hardly something on the to do list.

11 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Alison Krauss & Union Station. Or anything Jerry Douglas related. 

But its difficult. No one goes to the gigs really. Patti Griffin (with Dave Pulkingham, who is shit hot) this year played to 60 or 70 people. Acoustic tent completely empty. 

Gretchen Peters (not terribly exciting I know) was the same in 2013. 

These sorts are used to playing places like the Ryman and the like so being carted over to a field in Somerset to play to a handful of people looking to get out of the rain is hardly something on the to do list.

True unfortunately. I was at Patti's and Gretchen's gig and both were excellent, but you don't get much of an atmosphere in such an empty tent.

Some of the Magic Numbers were at Patti Griffin's show too.

I second the Justin Townes Earle suggestion above. Would also like Shovels & Rope, who I have only recently discovered.