Your Best Ever,Worst Ever.Surprisingly Good, Most Dissapointing

Uh-Oh!

Best - Chic at west holts

best party I've ever been a part of

Worst - The Who last year

my own fault really, they were as dull as i expected them to be but just couldn't be arsed to go anywhere

biggest suprise - Coldplay this year

wasn't planning on seeing them until last minute but I was blown away and surprisingly an emotional mess during the scientist

biggest disappointment

tame impala - couple of years ago on the other

was really looking forward to them, but just couldn't get in to it. being on the other didn't help, it's my least favourite stage. luckily they were 10x better this year

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Other stage Tame Impala performance fell flat because I think the audience were expecting replication of the singles (as they had this year) rather than the more freeform jams they delivered.  I still enjoyed the set, but purely from the perspective of seeing something interesting and new (as it was for me at the time, just discovering them in passing based on recommendation I'd read on here.  Like the most recent album, TI are slick and polished now, compared to the earlier more experimental nature of the music.

Best - Blur '09 without a shadow of a doubt.

Worst - A secret Fatboy Slim gig down the SE corner somewhere as it wasn't Fatboy Slim at all but a band called Selfish C**t who were great. Before that there was a load of vampires dropping down out of the rafters grabbing people from the crowd, pulling them up into the ceiling with loads of blood and guts spilling out over the crowd. Got covered. What just happened!?! Yes! Fatboy Slim was playing just outside the venue we were in unbeknownst to us.

Surprisingly good - Turin Breaks 2016. Wandered in very, very stoned. Absolutely brilliant. True story.

Biggest disappointment - Beans on toast (a plate of) from the Fluffy Rock 2016. Should have stuck to the egg banjos.

Edited by ___S_o_m_a__
Typo *.*

2 hours ago, Spindles said:

That Other stage Tame Impala performance fell flat because I think the audience were expecting replication of the singles (as they had this year) rather than the more freeform jams they delivered.  I still enjoyed the set, but purely from the perspective of seeing something interesting and new (as it was for me at the time, just discovering them in passing based on recommendation I'd read on here.  Like the most recent album, TI are slick and polished now, compared to the earlier more experimental nature of the music.

This was one of the best gigs I've seen due to the Aussie girls who insisted on changing clothes with me during the set. One of those strange things that can happen. Can't honestly say I remember the band that much. This came after stumbling into fat boy slim mid afternoon in SE corner which again was strange.

Best weekend of the year every year, great place

Arriving late to this party, but 'met' Weller at ULU at a Midlake gig when i was stalking them when they were touring Van Occupanther.

Weller tried to scrounge a fag and later was being a proper letch. 

Sad day in light of the fact that massive procrastinator Tim and the boys were utterly beguiling with that perfect album live an' all.

Best - Libertines 2015, absolutely mind blowing moment for me and my wife when the music started and the banner went up, it was always on our bucket list to see them at Glasto, musically I've seen better performances at Glastonbury but from a personal stand point and the feeling that set gave me of absolute euphoria I'll never forget.

Worst - BB King 2011, absolute shite considering how much Id wanted to see him, I remember too much messing about and chatting to the crowd, play your guitar you fool !!! I knew it wasn't just me when my brother came to meet me and his first words were "what the fuck is he playing at"

Surprisingly good - Rita Ora 2013, great voice, dancing, visuals, went to see her to try something different at Glasto and loved it. Honorable mention goes to the Lounge Kittens in 2015.

Disappointing - Jack White 2014 , expected one of the sets of the weekend, he needed to lay off the sauce !

24 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

BB King was 86 when he played.  Not really sure what you were expecting.

Same thing people expect from Dylan. Blonde on Blonde era afro, dark glasses, acoustic guitar, harmonica round the neck: "Heeeyyyyyyyyy Mr Tamborine man....."

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

He did.  He was mostly carried by his band, sure, but if that's honestly the worst thing you've seen at the festival then you've been doing pretty well.

Tbf I have done well with the acts Ive seen, I cant complain but I was asked to pick a worst and he still tops the pile.

• 2 weeks later...

Best- Radiohead 2003. Fake Plastic Trees was probably the best thing I've ever heard live. Honourable mention to Blur 2009 too.

Worst- The 1975 2014. My Mrs dragged me to see them. Still haven't forgiven her. Almost as bad were a band called Loose Cannons that played in the dance tent one year. There is now the Loose Cannons scale where you rate how shit a band is. I.e.The 1975 are a 10 on the Loose Cannons scale.

Most surprising- The Showhawk Duo 2015/2016. Played the Bandstand both years and were absolutely amazing. Biggest crowds I've ever seen at The Bandstand and justifiably so.

Most disappointing- Alt J 2013 Other Stage. Loved their first album but it sounded very flat.

• 1 month later...

Best - easy. 2011, it seemed, until this particular point, largely a shitty year. We'd been on site for nearly a week, held in a temporary off site camp, just about managed to get the van into Folly Ground. Lost temper with track security who wouldn't let us into our own stage's rehearsal on the Thursday.

Then something magical happened. Arcadia couldn't run their show because it was hammering down. But the people who turned out were having none of the weather thing. They were totally up for it. Me and another momentarily redundant crew member danced our asses off whilst getting totally soaked.

I later found out that a mate proposed under the Spider that night.

"Diamonds really sparkle in lasers and rain"

Stanton Warriors, Arcadia, 2011 

I'd do all that mud again just for that moment.

Surprisingly good? Barely knew who Christie Moore was. An afternoon loafing on the grass at the Pyramid. "North and South of the River". Tricolor flags flying. First time I "got dust in my eye" at Glastonbury.

Disappointing: U2... I'm like quite a few people (Bono's a cock, but some of the old tunes are ok)... Me and mate lasted 15 minutes and sacked it off. 

Worst: no particular band. Just a year. This one. Arguably not as bad as 2007, but instead was juggling work and personal stuff. Roll on 2017, erase the memory. Generally we get an awesome year after a crap one. Bring it :)

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 7:27 AM, Quark said:

Best - Le Rac Shack

Worst - Hippy Chippy 2016

Surprisingly Good - West Holts Falafel

Most Disappointing - La Grande Bouffe

Completely agree about the hippy chippy's fall from grace- went from being very delicious and well portioned to drastically reduced cack in 2016- were they under new management or something? 

Having only been past two years I have a limited pot to choose from...

Best - Chvrches 2016 - Probably bias because they are one of my favourite bands but everything about this set I loved. It was Saturday evening. I was just the right amount of drunk. The sun was setting brilliantly making the sky a cool orange colour. I was emotional :)

Worst - Enter Shikari 2015 - It just wasn't for me so prob unfair to say they were the worst. I sat outside people watching while the other half was bouncing around in the tent haha

Surprisngly Good - Florence 2015 - I do like Florence & the Machine but I was blown away by their headline performance and left it feeling like it would have been a travesty if they didn't get to headline as was previously the case.

Most Disappointing - Years & Years 2016 - I loved them at John Peel last year then loved their album when it came out and still do. However, this year on Other Stage I just wasn't feeling it. A combination of the sound (I wasn't standing in the best spot) and I just wasn't digging Ollie's stage presence. Plus I think by the Sunday afternoon the mud was starting to wear thin on me especially considering I was having a sober day.

Best           Primal Scream 2003

Surprisingly Good   - ALT J in 2015 , I did not think they would pull if off on the Pyramid in the sunshine , but they did

Disappointing - British Sea Power have never been as good at Glasto as I have hoped for

Worst - Oasis (2004 ? )  I should have gone to see Spiritualized but stopped with my mates to watch that shower

Best: Stevie 2010. Never will there be a more fitting Sunday night headliner performance. Human Nature gives me chills to this day.

Worst: NERD 2009. First proper pyramid experience. They were late. The set was cut short. Just a really crap experience. I caught the end of Regina Spector before and she was fantastic. This though was tripe. 

Disappointing: Jack White 2014. I adore the white stripes and really enjoy his solo efforts however this whole show was a let down. It was quiet. He was visibly wasted. Probably the most hyped performance of the weekend ended up falling horribly flat.

Surprising. Adele 2016. I thought it would get boring. Bar a minor lull in the middle it was utterly brilliant. Hometown Glory was such a moment.