Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

At Victoria station now, about to leave Manchester.

i got into Radiohead in 2013, 15 years old and was instantly hooked. They quickly became my favourite band and I've been longing to see them since.

i couldn't go to any of the roundhouse gigs because of exams, and I missed out on Glastonbury tickets this year. So last night was my first Radiohead gig.

i had a great night. Setlist was great, if a little too similar to Glastonbury (though I wasn't there, so didn't bother me).

highlights for me were 2+2=5, Daydreaming, Lotus Flower (which sounded huge) and of course The Bends. In fact, both the encores were pretty incredible.

feel so lucky to have seen the bends considering how little they play it. Also it was definitely one of their songs I listened to the most back in 2013 when I was first listening to them, so it was really nice hearing it.

Didnt expect them to play Karma Police after the bends either. So glad they did though, perfect end to the night. Anyone know when the last time Radiohead played 26 songs in one night? Pretty sure they haven't for any of the AMSP shows. I genuinely thought for a second they might come on and do a 3rd encore too, the ending music didn't play for ages.

I was buzzing when they walked on with guitars, knowing it would be the first gig in ages that didn't start with Daydreaming. Was shocked they opened with let down. I was loving it, but in retrospect it would have fared better somewhere else in the set. Fell a bit flat. If they wanted a different opener I think lucky would have been a better choice.

i think they initially intended to start with Daydreaming, because I saw that pad thing Thom uses was set up before they came on. It must have been removed without me realising. Seems they swapped let down and Daydreaming in the set. Wonder why they made that decision?

Crowd was really decent around me. Wasn't many talkers at all and most people seemed to be enjoying it. I was to the right of the stage, directly in front of the right hand screen about 10 rows back in front standing.

only issue I had (and this is completely my fault) is that because I've obsessed so much over their recent set lists, I could tell exactly what they were playing next by the setup of instruments. This meant that there were no surprises, the only ones that slightly thew me off was I Promise and The Bends. In future I'll try not to look into what they're playing the month before so it's more exciting. 

All in all though, great night! Going to jump on the next chance I have to see them, whenever that may be.

1 minute ago, JSmurphy said:

So when do we think Radiohead will next play a UK show? :(

Friday In Glasgow I reckon

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

Just now, JSmurphy said:

After these last dates I mean!:lol:

Haha I know just being a knob, i reckon it'll be 2020 at the earliest tbh. Although if what has been said about then having some gigs booked in Brazil next year is true the next who knows. Maybe they'll pop up somewhere in the uk next year too!

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

That Bruce stuff is absolutely insane. Absolute weirdos.

At least the experience is punctuated by decent gigs.  Must be far worse to give up your home life to sell burritos on the road with Dr Bongos and the Dead Skellingtons and all you've got to show for it are patchy memories of endless weedy guitar solos.

There are Radiohead fans that queue up from 7am too :lol: 

I like to queue up early but from 4ish onwards, it's actually quite fun because you have some good chat with people in the queue too, met a few good people at the gigs this tour. And you end up about a row or two behind those that have been there since the morning. But yeah, those there since the morning do the numbering thing. 

The appeal of seeing Radiohead at the front is different to seeing Bruce at the front. Sure their crowd interaction isn't nearly as much as Bruce but they're not distant either - they engage with the crowd a lot more than people realise. However with the shit screen set up this isnt really seen by people further back and is a lot more for the benefit of those in the front rows.

And also they're just a remarkable band making the kinds of noises on stage no medium or large sized act does today. Watching Jonny Greenwood on stage is something which you need to do up close. Seeing how they recreate some of the post OK Computer stuff on stage is something that you can't really appreciate from further back. 

I remember years ago going to a Strokes gig at Ally Pally around Christmas time (it was certainly winter). We drove up from Birmingham and arrived there at 10am to park up and head off into London for a day of fun. We noticed three small Japanese girls queuing outside the entrance, according to security they had been there since 6am. I was absolutely fecking freezing that day.

I remember seeing them go past me the other way after about two songs. Just bizarre.

51 minutes ago, Chawk said:

The whole thing sounds so ominous!!!

"Once you take a number you’re in a club. A club that works well when everyone’s working together."

"With the roll call system it meant there was time to leave the line and get some decent food instead of just fast food or convenient store snacks. Not such an issue for a single line up, but with multiple shows you need to maintain a solid diet to stay healthy and keep energy levels up."

"Bruce drank blue Powerade on stage and that soon became the beverage of choice for many in the line too"

"...once you got into the arena holding you’re well-earned place was a hard task and very much dependent on those around you."

"...not everyone is going to be happy to see a bit of card for Outlaw Pete."

"...on the one show I didn’t wear [a Springsteen t-shirt], I went to the merchandise stand to buy one as within five minutes I felt out of place."

"...what will really test your patience is the people nearby who discuss everything Springsteen and then start getting it wrong. "It may only be a slight error, but if you’ve just finished reading the latest biography, or was at a previous concert and the guys next to you are talking about it and getting the setlist horribly wrong, then it can take every ounce of patience not to turn around and correct them. "

"...I was first 151 and was advised to go behind the few rows near the central platform in Brisbane 1."

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

"Bruce drank blue Powerade on stage and that soon became the beverage of choice for many in the line too"

They're even basing what they drink on him. Insane.

Not only that but the majority of his fans are now born in the USA, sad.

45 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Worth mentioning that it's not unknown for the Poor Man's Mellencamp to come out early and perform a cheeky acoustic pre-show for the folk who've queued up.

This. 1000 of us "c**ts" saw a glorious 30 minute solo show in Limerick in 2013.

He repeated the experience 4 days later in Belshaft. Fantastic buzz.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, fowls said:

"...what will really test your patience is the people nearby who discuss everything Springsteen and then start getting it wrong. "It may only be a slight error, but if you’ve just finished reading the latest biography, or was at a previous concert and the guys next to you are talking about it and getting the setlist horribly wrong, then it can take every ounce of patience not to turn around and correct them. "

BM0D8qqCcAAcWKj.jpg

STOP GETTING SPRINGSTEEN WRONG!!

• Upvote 3

This Springsteen stuff is hilarious. And he was still probably the most boring performance I've ever seen and all. 

In my younger days I used to queue to be on the barrier for various gigs, but there was no system. I always remember the terrifying free-for-all once the doors were opened! I actually really hate feeling crushed in with everyone these days. If I can't move my limbs independently I'm not interested. Give me a few rows back, a pint and a boogie any day. Mind you, I wouldn't take back those pit gigs in my teens and early twenties for anything in the world. 

Just now, The Nal said:

You weren't there two days before though. 

No, and broadly speaking I agree with your sentiment that the queuing is futile and gets you 30ft closer. I would also agree to a point that there is a substitution at play here for people who's lives might otherwise be a bit more drab and empty.

I draw the line at calling any live music fan - no matter how committed - as "c**ts" however. Soz.

To bring this thread back on topic, in 1997 I was 4th in the queue for Radiohead in Dublin. Joined it at 8.30am. The surge of the crowd during 2nd tune (My Iron Lung?) had me arms-out holding back people to give space to Mrs/sister(s)... a scene to which Thommy Y gave me a wry smile.

I think I'm the polar opposite to Bruce fans trying to arrive as late as possible, get the times up on Twitter and stay in the pub as long as possible. Doesn't work with every venue though, forced to get to Albert hall a bit early every time coz there's no nice way of getting forward.

34 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I draw the line at calling any live music fan - no matter how committed - as "c**ts" however. Soz.

Quick search....

#ahem*

Chic's entire discog a turkey but this c**t's picnic is a homer??

That pre-chorus is **unlistenable**. Prefer Steps version.

Park looking quite strong this year. Pyramid is a c8nts picnic.

:D

I've no issue with Adele playing, think she's a decent skin. Nodded enthusiastically to the comparison with Celine Dion elsewhere on eFests this morning. Justifying appearance at the top of the bill based on sales. Mhmm.

When Emily eventually books One Direction or the equiv in the future the people defending Dellser today need to STFU. They're the same. Music for people that don't like music. 

Muse Adele Coldplay is a grannysafe c**t's picnic in comparison to previous years. The worst headliners in the fest's recent history. I had expected the fest to pull out of the downward spiral sooner than this. Next year's Sheeranageddon will appear sweet relief in comparison to this year's hideousness.

:lol:

• Upvote 8