2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Sounds promising then. I revisited next day after hearing the new song. Had forgotten how good it was. So if this is more consistent that bodes well. 

Some great lyrics

"Black struck the kiss, she kept my cock........ tis a pity she was a whore....."

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Thought butterfly house was average at best but their others -the debut and invisible invasion in particular - i think are great. Didn't really hear their last one but it has seemed like they miss bill ryder Jones. Especially with how good his last solo one was

Admittedly I've not listened to them for a couple of years but I really liked Butterfly House. Outside of that and their debut their albums have always had a lot of filler for me. 

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I used to work with Bill Ryder Jones' dad, fact fans.

Ooooh, Gnomicide - friend to the stars, well, their parents.

I'm really impressed with that album. Absolute cracker. Got it on vinyl yesterday.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:16 AM, The Nal said:

Really liking Blackstar. Far superior to The Next Day IMO.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:40 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Only heard the title track, but it's a cracker alright.

agreed.

aiming to catch the backing band behind the album - Donny McCaslin Quartet - in a few weeks' time, as they are doing a residency at one of the renowned jazz venues in NY, Village Vanguard. In fact NY Times today has a piece on them/Bowie today and how they came to meet, in case anyone fancies a quick read...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/arts/music/on-david-bowies-blackstar-turning-to-jazz-for-inspiration.html?ref=arts

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I really want something good that stands up with Odd Blood from Yeasayer but I don't see any hint of it from that new song. Shame as it seemed like they were gonna make a pretty big name for 'emselves once upon a time.

Totally disagree. Fragrant World was fantastic (just not poppy) and this song is a great middle-ground between the synthy weirdness of that LP and Odd Blood's singalong fun. That bit towards the end when it goes all Sufjan Stevens is fantastic.

Villagers have a new album out today, by the way.

Edited by tiffpietiff

so if Kim Kardashian's twitter is anything to go by (let's remember that she was the one to initially announce Yeezus) then Kanye's G.O.O.D. Fridays (or some form of it) is looking set to return, so that'll be good - she also tagged #swish in it so hopefully this is the lead up to the new album much like the last time he did it it was the lead up to MBDTF. hopefully that means a new song today (which i'm assuming will be called Real Friends as that's also what she tagged)

as expected, Kanye just dropped a new song called Real Friends (and also a snippet of a song called No More Parties In LA featuring Kendrick)

http://pitchfork.com/news/62798-kanye-west-drops-real-friends-and-previews-no-more-parties-in-la-featuring-kendrick-lamar/

No More Parties In LA is definitely sounding like the better of the two tracks even with just the brief snippet

Edited by FloorFiller

Just been pottering around the Bella Union website, and I've stumbled upon a solicitation for Emmy The Great's 3rd album "Second Love". Coming out on 26th Feb, don't remember seeing any sort of announcement for it. https://bellaunion.greedbag.com/buy/second-love-2/

It's got two tracks from her amazing EP "S" that came out last year; Swimming Pools and Social Halo. Some of the tracks have also been played live last year, Phoenixes was a particularly memorable one. My pre-order is in!