2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

Just now, HoTWire said:

I live in Somerset (not far from Pilton as it happens),... but willing to travel for bands.

Unfortunately I'm a poor student and will have to be at uni the following day. Saturdays and sometimes Fridays are okay. Having to travel to the other end of the country for The Cure this year already.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Will-2609 said:

Unfortunately I'm a poor student and will have to be at uni the following day. Saturdays and sometimes Fridays are okay. Having to travel to the other end of the country for The Cure this year already.

It is Easter weekend so Monday is free from work/school :D

Can't help with the poor student thing though, which is why festivals are great, pound for pound you get more music for you money :D

http://www.nme.com/news/iggy-pop/90924?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=iggypop

This sounds interesting

Edit: That's a pretty impressive lineup. Would be good if they end up playing although I'm not sure if any of them are busy over Glastonbury. 

Also it's been quite a day for announcements hasn't it? We've had Radiohead, this, PJ Harvey and The Last Shadow Puppets announcing their album album release dates as well as the former releasing a song from it as well as the Primavera lineup. What a time to be alive.

Edited by kingcrawler

14 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

http://www.nme.com/news/iggy-pop/90924?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=iggypop

This sounds interesting

Edit: That's a pretty impressive lineup. Would be good if they end up playing although I'm not sure if any of them are busy over Glastonbury. 

Also it's been quite a day for announcements hasn't it? We've had Radiohead, this, PJ Harvey and The Last Shadow Puppets announcing their album album release dates as well as the former releasing a song from it as well as the Primavera lineup. What a time to be alive.

Iggy's got a bunch of festival dates in June. I would be surprised if it's fully planned with festivals and stuff as it just seems like a Desert Sessions type jam thing but I'll gladly be wrong.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Iggy's got a bunch of festival dates in June. I would be surprised if it's fully planned with festivals and stuff as it just seems like a Desert Sessions type jam thing but I'll gladly be wrong.

Yeah I imagine it'll just end up being a handful of gigs in major cities, especially if Iggy Pop has festivals already. 

Just now, kingcrawler said:

Yeah I imagine it'll just end up being a handful of gigs in major cities, especially if Iggy Pop has festivals already. 

I just spotted this at the end of the article.

“There won’t be hardly any shows, and they won’t be in big places, and you won’t be able to get a ticket,” Mr. Homme said. “So almost everyone won’t see it. It will be like trying to catch smoke in your hands. And that makes it even better. It will be special, and it will be over in the blink of an eye.”

So I guess there won't even be a low-key show somewhere in the UK either. Ah well.

Wonder if this is instead of or as well as the Homme-produced Iggy Pop album coming out. Can't figure out.

Just now, dentalplan said:

I just spotted this at the end of the article.

“There won’t be hardly any shows, and they won’t be in big places, and you won’t be able to get a ticket,” Mr. Homme said. “So almost everyone won’t see it. It will be like trying to catch smoke in your hands. And that makes it even better. It will be special, and it will be over in the blink of an eye.”

So I guess there won't even be a low-key show somewhere in the UK either. Ah well.

Wonder if this is instead of or as well as the Homme-produced Iggy Pop album coming out. Can't figure out.

Ah that's a shame. Pretty decent that the first performance is tonight though.

Anyone listened to the new Suede record? I liked Bloodsports, and I know many didn't, but this one is certainly leagues above that. Very impressed.

Also been listening to the new Fat Whites album and, while it's a good album, it's very different as they've traded out the sleazy rock 'n' roll for psychedelic, perhaps krautrock-y tunes. Dunno what it spells for their live show but we'll surely find out in June.

15 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

Anyone listened to the new Savages album yet? How is it?

I would have a listen myself but it's Monday and I'm already dark and intense as it is.

I like it. Hasn't hit me as much as Silence Yourself yet but will keep listening. Looking forward to seeing them for the first time next month.  

45 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

so Bloc Party's new album is, as expected, fucking awful. can finally write off any interest i had in this band

It was better than I expected but it was bad, so sadly it wasn't funny-bad like Drones and like promised by The Love Within but it's just boring-bad. Didn't really feel like I was listening to Bloc Party at any point.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

It was better than I expected but it was bad, so sadly it wasn't funny-bad like Drones and like promised by The Love Within but it's just boring-bad. Didn't really feel like I was listening to Bloc Party at any point.

yeah nail on the head. didn't feel like a Bloc Party album at all and so many of the songs just aimlessly plodded on. they've done bad songs in the past but they were at least interesting. this sounds like they didn't even try