2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

so if Kim Kardashian's twitter is anything to go by (let's remember that she was the one to initially announce Yeezus) then Kanye's G.O.O.D. Fridays (or some form of it) is looking set to return, so that'll be good - she also tagged #swish in it so hopefully this is the lead up to the new album much like the last time he did it it was the lead up to MBDTF. hopefully that means a new song today (which i'm assuming will be called Real Friends as that's also what she tagged)

26 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

as expected, Kanye just dropped a new song called Real Friends (and also a snippet of a song called No More Parties In LA featuring Kendrick)

http://pitchfork.com/news/62798-kanye-west-drops-real-friends-and-previews-no-more-parties-in-la-featuring-kendrick-lamar/

No More Parties In LA is definitely sounding like the better of the two tracks even with just the brief snippet

I'm a bit confused. What did he do in the lead up to MBDTF? There's so much of Kanye's songs floating about since the start of 2015 that I can't keep track of what might make the album. Is it possible that he's gonna preview the whole album over the next few weeks then drop it at some point at the end?

Real Friends is good, sounds a lot like old Kanye and I think that'll be on the album as it definitely leads into Wolves. No More Parties in LA is similar in the 'old stuff' respect, that's cool too.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I'm a bit confused. What did he do in the lead up to MBDTF? There's so much of Kanye's songs floating about since the start of 2015 that I can't keep track of what might make the album. Is it possible that he's gonna preview the whole album over the next few weeks then drop it at some point at the end?

Real Friends is good, sounds a lot like old Kanye and I think that'll be on the album as it definitely leads into Wolves. No More Parties in LA is similar in the 'old stuff' respect, that's cool too.

he did the G.O.O.D. Friday weekly song thing in the lead up to MBDTF - Power, Monster, Devil In A New Dress and So Appalled were all initially released through it and then later remastered or re-made for the album, along with a shitload of other songs that didn't make the cut, so i'm thinking/hoping a similar thing will happen here (these two songs sound good and i hope to see them on the album - that Facts song from a week ago, not so much)

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

he did the G.O.O.D. Friday weekly song thing in the lead up to MBDTF - Power, Monster, Devil In A New Dress and So Appalled were all initially released through it and then later remastered or re-made for the album, along with a shitload of other songs that didn't make the cut, so i'm thinking/hoping a similar thing will happen here (these two songs sound good and i hope to see them on the album - that Facts song from a week ago, not so much)

Yeah I can be down with that. The return to actually rapping (not a slight against his recent work but a lot of it was more about the music and guests) might have something to do with what people said about TPAB making him go back to the drawing board, which sounded like bullshit before but I dunno now. Though I suppose knowing he's keeping Wolves undermines that a little.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Ha, he's pulled the new song. That guy.

always find it so weird when artists do this. like do they sit there and think 'ah the world can finally hear my new material' *post* - seconds later - 'oh shit no i'm not ready for the possible backlash' *takes it down*

Any post-rock fanboys/gilrs on here?

The mighty, elusive, nay almost mythical Yndi Halda are back with their second LP, a mere 8 YEARS after their first!

For those, like me, drawn like moths to a flame to lovely, limited, coloured wax, link to a very limited, loverly coloured wax:

New Yndi Halda Record!

Negligible to no chance of seeing them on the farm...but Park subs would be pretty spectacular with the sun setting...!

Ben

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Just been pottering around the Bella Union website, and I've stumbled upon a solicitation for Emmy The Great's 3rd album "Second Love". Coming out on 26th Feb, don't remember seeing any sort of announcement for it. https://bellaunion.greedbag.com/buy/second-love-2/

It's got two tracks from her amazing EP "S" that came out last year; Swimming Pools and Social Halo. Some of the tracks have also been played live last year, Phoenixes was a particularly memorable one. My pre-order is in!

Awesome spot. I'm a sucker for all things Emmy. Paid extra for Virtue and got my name on the album sleeve. My day just got immeasurably better! 

Just now, Andeeroo said:

Awesome spot. I'm a sucker for all things Emmy. Paid extra for Virtue and got my name on the album sleeve. My day just got immeasurably better! 

Very cool! My name is on my copy, because she signed it to me at a merch table (my friend who sort of knows her tentatively but likes to think they're best of pals frequently tells me off for how much of an embarrassment I was in asking her to sign something). Virtue is the one to best, First Love was great, but Virtue was such an enormous step forward. Such a massive achievement, one of the most massively underrated albums of the past few years. Although if the songs from S are anything to go by, she's on track to possibly top it with this new album.

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Very cool! My name is on my copy, because she signed it to me at a merch table (my friend who sort of knows her tentatively but likes to think they're best of pals frequently tells me off for how much of an embarrassment I was in asking her to sign something). Virtue is the one to best, First Love was great, but Virtue was such an enormous step forward. Such a massive achievement, one of the most massively underrated albums of the past few years. Although if the songs from S are anything to go by, she's on track to possibly top it with this new album.

Hell man, I'd do the same.

Hard to separate Virtue and First Love. First Love struck a chord immediately whereas Virtue took such a long time to get into my system. Both hold special places in my heart. Can't say I've listened to the tracks on S enough to feel familiar with them but I remember thinking that the vocals were absolutely stunning and better than anything she's ever done.

Only just seen taken notice of the date. Out in February?! Fuck yeah!

Are you guys actually expecting Swish to be good? Don't get me wrong I'd love it to be but those last couple songs he put out are just painfully bland. I'm really hoping he's secretly been cooking something amazing that can make up for Glastonbury but at this stage I have very little faith in him.

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

Are you guys actually expecting Swish to be good? Don't get me wrong I'd love it to be but those last couple songs he put out are just painfully bland. I'm really hoping he's secretly been cooking something amazing that can make up for Glastonbury but at this stage I have very little faith in him.

I don't know what to expect from it - I don't believe anyone does at this point - but I'm looking forward to finally listening to it in entirety. I think Real Friends is the best track he's dropped in the past 13 months so that's a good jumpoff point to announce the album.

Probably gonna have to shift to a/the Kanye thread or nobody will get a word in on their preferred upcoming releases over us nerds.

4 hours ago, Mash011 said:

i trust him. there must be a reason why he's just been releasing random tracks and yet the album has taken this long to make, and yeah, Real Friends and the snippet of that Kendrick track both sound great to my ears, so if that's what he's choosing to lead off the album announcement with, then it can only be a good thing

I think Swish will be a good album, probably spawn a couple of cuts that are classics, but I can't see it being great. He seems unfocused at the moment, he's doing all sorts of disparate things, there's not a lot of cohesion between the tacks, and none of them have the sort of fire behind them that MBDTF and Yeezus tracks had behind them. Even 808s was a very deliberate move. I expect something closer to Graduation with this one; a good album, but doesn't feel as quintessentially Kanye as the rest. Mind you, Flashing Lights and Can't Tell Me Nothing are two of his best tracks.

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I think Swish will be a good album, probably spawn a couple of cuts that are classics, but I can't see it being great. He seems unfocused at the moment, he's doing all sorts of disparate things, there's not a lot of cohesion between the tacks, and none of them have the sort of fire behind them that MBDTF and Yeezus tracks had behind them. Even 808s was a very deliberate move. I expect something closer to Graduation with this one; a good album, but doesn't feel as quintessentially Kanye as the rest. Mind you, Flashing Lights and Can't Tell Me Nothing are two of his best tracks.

you say that, yet MBDTF was preceded with a bunch of tracks, some great, some not so great just like he has been doing this time round, and the songs on that album don't follow any particular cohesion or 'sound' - it was like a greatest hits of what had come before it. i don't expect this album to be the masterpiece that that album was, but i'm holding out hope that these less-than-great tracks he's been releasing are just because he's been holding the really great stuff back for the long delayed album. wonder if All Day (and to a lesser degree Only One) will make the cut or if they'll be left as stand alones, as their releases seem like such a long time ago

It's been mentioned in another thread. I doubt we'll see new music, and they played live recently anyway, as well as sporadic shows through the 00s. All Saints are really just a few amazing singles from many years ago, but there's not much else to them, and they hold no interest for me outside of those singles.

On 10/01/2016 at 5:00 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It's been mentioned in another thread. I doubt we'll see new music, and they played live recently anyway, as well as sporadic shows through the 00s. All Saints are really just a few amazing singles from many years ago, but there's not much else to them, and they hold no interest for me outside of those singles.

If they open up the other stage play pure shores and fuck off they'll still be better than the charlatons.