Headliners 2016

thewayiam

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

There's all sorts of different things a festival has to weight up.

But firstly, it's very normal for a smaller festival to have headline acts that are less-than-headliner at a bigger festival. OK, it's not too normal for R/L in the same summer, but R/L normally have their acts tied down and this time they might not have for whatever reasons.

I've been led to believe they chose not to book a bigger act in preference to Foals/Disclosure, which may or may not be true. But if so, there's all sorts of different reasons for why they might have made that choice.

It might be (say) that they've heard the new albums of Foals and Disclosure and know they're both going to go absolutely massive before the festival happens. Sounds unlikely? I know for a fact this sort of thing happens, from what bookers have told me.

Or it might be a 'cool' factor that Reading wants around it, where that bigger band isn't 'cool' enough for the festival to look good in the future.

Or it might be the various prices for each band, where a cheaper price allows improvements elsewhere on the bill.

Etc, etc, etc.

Out of interest, will you say who the act they snubbed is? 

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, endswithMJ said:

There is still something about Biffy saying they are playing a "handful" of UK festivals this year. Whilst nothing suggests they are going to play Glasto, to me, the only other option really, is RandL. 

Unless, Biffy are the secret band at Reading and Leeds? Secret band this year, headline it next year. 

44 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I reckon they'll do Big Weekend as one of them. Not sure beyond that, was thinking BST but that's clearly not happening.

This ^ to both of you, I think two of them will be a Big Weekend slot and Reading like Grewn Day and Foals did.

36 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

There's all sorts of different things a festival has to weight up.

But firstly, it's very normal for a smaller festival to have headline acts that are less-than-headliner at a bigger festival. OK, it's not too normal for R/L in the same summer, but R/L normally have their acts tied down and this time they might not have for whatever reasons.

I've been led to believe they chose not to book a bigger act in preference to Foals/Disclosure, which may or may not be true. But if so, there's all sorts of different reasons for why they might have made that choice.

It might be (say) that they've heard the new albums of Foals and Disclosure and know they're both going to go absolutely massive before the festival happens. Sounds unlikely? I know for a fact this sort of thing happens, from what bookers have told me.

Or it might be a 'cool' factor that Reading wants around it, where that bigger band isn't 'cool' enough for the festival to look good in the future.

Or it might be the various prices for each band, where a cheaper price allows improvements elsewhere on the bill.

Etc, etc, etc.

I think that although not necessarily wrong is just a dressed up version of R&L wanting them two and not having any balls to tell them if you co-headline here (they should only be subbing anyway) then it's these shows only! If they wanted to do other shows as well then it should have been said you're subbing then as the fest would of came off better having decent sized subs than forced co-headers not exclusive.

1 minute ago, endswithMJ said:

Would be weird to just do Big Weekend and nothing else. Can't see them making their big comeback at the Big Weekend, personally. 

It would be better doing that, somewhere that position doesn't really compare your status than doing a proper slot lower down a fest for them to do a later arena tour and be bumped to header again next year.

1 hour ago, Couchy said:

Muse want to play Glastonbury but already booked for R&L so won't be announced.

if they wanted to play Glastonbury, then they wouldn't have signed any sort of exclusivity deal with R&L.

and even then, where are they going to play, as unannounced headliners until the day? subbing someone who is arguably on the same level as them. absolutely no chance their management would allow that, and I doubt the band are that desperate to play (for god knows what reason), that they're likely to play in the brightness subbing Coldplay....

9 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It would be better doing that, somewhere that position doesn't really compare your status than doing a proper slot lower down a fest for them to do a later arena tour and be bumped to header again next year.

Why wouldn't they be a potential headliner though? They already headlined R&L and they have a new album out this year. Other bands have headlined the festival on much less.

I can't see Muse headlining Glastonbury. I think If you have Coldplay and Adele headlining, Muse just don't fit the criteria.

Radiohead subbed by Foals, Adele subbed by Ellie G, Coldplay subbed by Noel Gallagher (you have to remember Chris Martin and Noel G are mates, and Noels tour ends in April.) Muse secret set. PJ Harvey high up the bill on the Friday with Disclosure, New Order and ? headlining the Other Stage? Anyone agree with this?

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

if they wanted to play Glastonbury, then they wouldn't have signed any sort of exclusivity deal with R&L.

and even then, where are they going to play, as unannounced headliners until the day? subbing someone who is arguably on the same level as them. absolutely no chance their management would allow that, and I doubt the band are that desperate to play (for god knows what reason), that they're likely to play in the brightness subbing Coldplay....

Everything you said is relevant. But not out of the question. If you worked with Muse I might listen a little harder & we are all quite aware of how the term "exclusive" is bandied about by R&L.

Ooooooh the brightness!

Muse could play anywhere, it's the size of the crowd that they would attract whether announced or not that will probably end up dictating where Glastonbury choose for them to play if they are playing & not headlining. Obviously, sense says Pyramid Sub or Other headline.

5 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

I can't see Muse headlining Glastonbury. I think If you have Coldplay and Adele headlining, Muse just don't fit the criteria.

Radiohead subbed by Foals, Adele subbed by Ellie G, Coldplay subbed by Noel Gallagher (you have to remember Chris Martin and Noel G are mates, and Noels tour ends in April.) Muse secret set. PJ Harvey high up the bill on the Friday with Disclosure, New Order and ? headlining the Other Stage? Anyone agree with this?

Noel has already said he's not playing, and i don't think Ellie will sub Adele so move her over to Coldplay day and have someone else below Adele. the rest sounds about right though

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Noel has already said he's not playing, and i don't think Ellie will sub Adele so move her over to Coldplay day and have someone else below Adele. the rest sounds about right though

Oh has he? I didn't realise - yeah I guess Ellie and Coldplay makes sense. Foals subbing Radiohead is massive though. Will be brilliant to watch.

no way Muse are gonna headline Other. all the talk of them possibly needing a big Other headliner vs. a huge Pyramid act got proven to be bollocks when they had Chase & Status up against the Stones, so there'd be no reason for it to happen, even if Muse wanted to

Just now, Honeybane said:

Oh has he? I didn't realise - yeah I guess Ellie and Coldplay makes sense. Foals subbing Radiohead is massive though. Will be brilliant to watch.

Foals into Radiohead would be brilliant, but then i also want LCD Soundsystem in that spot, so guess we'll have to wait and see what transpires

13 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

Can anyone see it as Radiohead subbed by LCD Soundsystem on Friday with Disclosure subbed by Bastille on Other stage, Fleetwood Mac subbed by Foals on Saturday with New Order subbed by Major Lazer on Other stage and Coldplay subbed by Ellie Goulding on Sunday with Kendrick Lamar subbed by BMTH on Other stage. I know there's a lot of curveballs in there that aren't in the running to play but it gives a good variety of acts that Glastonbury tends to put out every year. I know some of it seems unlikely but Kanye and The Who seemed unlikely this time last year.

Edited by Acid_Haze

"I can't see Muse headlining Glastonbury. I think If you have Coldplay and Adele headlining, Muse just don't fit the criteria." This part is the only part of what you have said that doesnt make any sense to me- since when do other headliners have any effect on who else may headline the same festival on other nights? Last year for example- kanye west, the who and florence. Even with the foo fighters you cant say that kanye west "fit the criteria" because of who else was headlining. That part doesnt make any difference. The Who and Kanye are complete polar opposites of what kind of fan they would attract. Just the same as Muse and/or Coldplay/Adele.

Edited by Doug85

Just now, Honeybane said:

Just out of interest, at this point last year, did you guys on the forum have your predictions pretty nailed on? Was it more predictable last year?

The Who had long since been discounted because they had dates in Paris, then they cancelled them and came to the farm. 

Goes to show how unpredictable it can be when bands who have tour dates in other countries can't even be discounted completely. 

I wasn't regularly posting when Kanye was announced 

1 minute ago, Honeybane said:

Just out of interest, at this point last year, did you guys on the forum have your predictions pretty nailed on? Was it more predictable last year?

No more predictable IIRC.

And then there was the Foo, Who, Weller clusterfuck towards the end.

Madonna was bandied about on here quite a bit. Rhianna too. Always the Oasis guff. And not forgetting the Taylor Swift 'thing'.

Ahhh, heady days.

2 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

Far less predictable!  Last year was a bit unusual since things at Glastonbury HQ weren't really sorted until late in the day for one reason or another - and that's before Grohl broke his leg!