Headliners 2016

thewayiam

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

so out of all the acts in the world the bookers couldnt find anyone other than 2 bands who have already played umpteen times before?

come on, even you cant believe that.

We have to remind ourselves that there are so many reasons why bands will actually choose not to do it (money, not touring, simply don't want to) and before we suddenly leap to "Oh the organsiers must think they're making inspired choices blah blah", we just take a step back.

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely there is hope here.....

Think of Adele as baby food. Bland shite consumed by millions with no awareness of the choice and delights out there. Maybe just maybe an Adele fan can stumble across something at Glastonbury to start them on a wonderful new journey. PJ Harvey as sub might just be the kick up the arse they need  

6 minutes ago, not worthy said:

Surely there is hope here.....

Think of Adele as baby food. Bland shite consumed by millions with no awareness of the choice and delights out there. Maybe just maybe an Adele fan can stumble across something at Glastonbury to start them on a wonderful new journey. PJ Harvey as sub might just be the kick up the arse they need  

I'm well aware of the choice and delights out there and for me Adele sure is one of them. 

Edited by rzwodezwo

Using my first post to dive head long into the headliner maelstrom. 

This'll my first Glastonbury, and I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't disappointed at the all but confirmed trio. Everyone seems to be on the same page with Adele, she's the biggest booking they could possibly make at the moment, but biggest doesn't always mean best. The vast majority of her songs are dreary ballads, not exactly what you want to be listening to at 10 on Saturday night. They've booked her on her global appeal rather than her musical suitability to headline Glastonbury. 

Muse and Coldplay being booked again says almost as much about the "headliner pool" as it does about the Eavis' idea of exciting bookings. They're both solid hands who can trusted to headine and will go down will the majority. 10 years ago I would have delighted with them headlining, but both bands have changed so much (and not for the better) that it hasn't even crossed my mind that I'll go and see them. So it looks like my first year at Glastonbury will be sans a Pyramid Stage moment, which is hugely disappointing

BUT

I know I'm still going to love it. Those 3 being main stage paves the way for 6 much more "musically satisfying" acts to headine the Other Stage & John Peel Tent. They could have booked the Black and White Minstrel Show to headline the Pyramid and I'd still be exited. But then that's because I'm a massive racist.

Edited by The Orgazoid

9 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

This'll my first Glastonbury, and I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't disappointed at the all but confirmed trio. Everyone seems to be on the same page with Adele, she's the biggest booking they could possibly make at the moment, but biggest doesn't always mean best. The vast majority of her songs are dreary ballads, not exactly what you want to be listening to at 10 on Saturday night. They've booked her on her global appeal rather than her musical suitability to headline Glastonbury. 

Muse and Coldplay being booked again says almost as much about the "headliner pool" as it does about the Eavis' idea of exciting bookings. They're both solid hands who can trusted to headine and will go down will the majority. 10 years ago I would have delighted with them headlining, but both bands have changed so much (and not for the better) that it hasn't even crossed my mind that I'll go and see them. So it looks like my first year at Glastonbury will be sans a Pyramid Stage moment, which is hugely disappointing

BUT

I know I'm still going to love it. Those 3 being main stage paves the way for 6 much more "musically satisfying" acts to headine the Other Stage & John Peel Stage. They could have booked the Black and White Minstrel Show to headline the Pyramid and I'd still be exited. But then that's because I'm a massive racist.

Last year was my first Glastonbury and if it wasn't for a Dave Grohl leg break I wouldn't have been at the Pyramid for any headliners (I'm a Flo fan). I ended up seeing Flo at the Pyramid, Mothership at West Holts and Chems at the Other. Looking back I'm glad I had that opportunity and this year I'm hoping to do a stage-a-night if possible again. 

Obviously we all hope one of our favourite acts will headline the Pyramid but once you're there you realise it would be such a waste to spend the weekend there. Having made my peace with the yet to be announced headliners I'm instead hoping for something like PJ Harvey at the Park on Friday, New Order at the Other on Saturday and Justice at WH on the Sunday. 

Pyramid is a bonus, the festival itself is the main event. 

Think there's a few people underestimating the size/popularity of Adele Globally.

21 was the biggest selling album in the US the year it was released (2011 I think) and then incredibly the biggest selling album in the US the following year as well. Basically unheard of. I think it's now in the top 15 selling albums of all time. Clearly a great coup for the festival even if it's not for me.

How sure are we about Coldplay/Muse rounding it out? It seems very unlikely to me. One of those two at best. I just think ME and co will be very aware about how vanilla that line-up is.

24 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

BUT

I know I'm still going to love it. Those 3 being main stage paves the way for 6 much more "musically satisfying" acts to headine the Other Stage & John Peel Tent. They could have booked the Black and White Minstrel Show to headline the Pyramid and I'd still be exited. But then that's because I'm a massive racist.

Ah don't discount a pyramid moment yet. The legend slot might provide it, or the sub, or even a mid afternoon band! Depends on what you like really 

personally, I think Adele does good for the festival because of the publicity and that's great, I'll probably end up watching her because the gf wants to see her, and because there's no chance I'd pay to see her. Though in a field with as much booze on my person as I want is the best place to watch her if I have to I think! I like a couple of songs

i really like Coldplay and always have, new and old. Agree a bit on muse but the overall show will be great I think. 

This will be my 7th Glastonbury and the first time I've done 3 pyramid headliners if it comes off

And just to add that into context - since 2011 I've seen 3 pyramid headliners - arctic monkeys, arcade fire and kasabian. None this last year

Edited by efcfanwirral

57 minutes ago, russycarps said:

welcome to the glastonbury of the 2010s...

nowadays record sales, radio play and popularity among the masses are all that's important. Even among posters on this forum!

A lot of people here think, with a straight face, that take that would made a good headliner. And rhianna, and katy perry. The festival and the attendees have changed, sadly.

Probably right.

It does feel like 2 festivals these days. Admittedly, not been since 2013, but that year it felt like there was teh Pyramid and Other as one festival (massive crowds for some very popular and bland acts)... and then the Greenfields, Park etc where there was great stuff going on, but more often than not, no one there. I couldn't believe how empty the green field tents were at some point in the day. The demographic has def. changed to 'tickboxers' and hens/stags abit. So I suppose the headliners are likely to also. I mean look at the legend slot... from Jonny Cash or Brian Wilson to Dolly or Lionel. 

Still the biggest and the best though - just finding this set of headliners (rumoured) very underwhelming, with Adele being the underwhelming cherry on top.

I find it bemusing that booking the biggest act in the world. One who is knocking back records worldwide. Writes and performs her own songs, who barely tours and likes the festival could be described as underwhelming. 

All comes down to personal taste like but outside of these boards Adele's booking will be seen as an undoubted massive coup. The biggest they could possibly do at this moment in time.

Edited by MichaelsBeard

hello.. apologies I've not been on for a while, so I may well have missed something obvious..can anyone summarize why this triumvirate are now "nailed on" as the 3 headliners.. ?

I've glanced back a good few pages and haven't seen anything... is it just rumour mongering and people making false assumptions based on peoples schedules or is there a credible source?

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Coldplay and Muse have both said that they want to do it.

Glastonbury are on record as wanting Adele and it's now a likelihood that her fear of crowds won't be an obstacle.

Additionally, if one of the Headliner rs was a handshake agreement back in June, then Adele is a better fit than most.

thank you :) 

Just now, GlastoSimon said:

Am I the only one who potentially thinks Adele isn't as nailed on with those dates as others are suggesting? Two weeks prior? Unless of course she adds extra dates after the final date in that two week gap.

I think I'm pretty fucked for resale if its Coldplay and Adele.

It's more the fact that she's touring than the tour dates suggesting an appearance - when it had previously been suggested she wasn't going to tour. Even then, what do you think would happen if she just stopped touring for two weeks? :P

Also aside from those dates, a Glasto booker said the other day that they were currently in talks with Adele so I would have thought it's incoming.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's more the fact that she's touring than the tour dates suggesting an appearance - when it had previously been suggested she wasn't going to tour. Even then, what do you think would happen if she just stopped touring for two weeks? :P

Also aside from those dates, a Glasto booker said the other day that they were currently in talks with Adele so I would have thought it's incoming.

I'm clutching at straws Dental :D Biggest dates shes ever done but its still a step up to one of the biggest Pyramid crowds of all time.

I wasn't aware of the bottom bit, pretty much nailed on then.