Faithless

westholtschic

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

if they're on in the glade, they'll be disappointed to hear that dreadzone played it as a live band last year, so they're not the first.

Yeah seems like Thursday headliners as a new concept here. Suggesting to me that there's more planned for Thursday nights. Anyone know which stages can open Thursday?

Just now, gherkin8r said:

Yeah seems like Thursday headliners as a new concept here. Suggesting to me that there's more planned for Thursday nights. Anyone know which stages can open Thursday?

Nah it'll be the same as always, someone always plays last and is technically the headliner 

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Nah it'll be the same as always, someone always plays last and is technically the headliner 

Massively over-egging the pudding from sister bliss then in that nobody has ever claimed to have headlined a Thursday before and they aren't even the first live band to do the thing that isn't a thing 

Faithless were one of the greatest live bands I've ever seen... ever.

but Faithless IS (was) Maxi Jazz.

not a fan of this idea to be honest - Sister Bliss playing as "Faithless DJ set" as usual, cool.

but I think the Glade crossroads will be no.1 place to avoid on Thursday.

1 minute ago, gherkin8r said:

Does "major" end after the ones on the poster?

i just had to go and check the poster - yeah, none of them are licenced for thursday music as things stand

33 minutes ago, Neil said:

i just had to go and check the poster - yeah, none of them are licenced for thursday music as things stand

Sorry I was wondering how far down the list of stages the lack of license extends. Is it just the big 5 on the poster but all other stages can have stuff on? 

Don't recall ever seeing stages on the first lineup poster. To then have "and..." and just list a few acts on the next line and then say "plus so much more" seems bizarre. Maybe that list are the Thursday headliners across a few smaller stages. 

Maybe I'm just trying to make sense of something and stretching 

Edited by gherkin8r

18 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Sorry I was wondering how far down the list of stages the lack of license extends. Is it just the big 5 on the poster but all other stages can have stuff on? 

Don't recall ever seeing stages on the first lineup poster. To then have "and..." and just list a few acts on the next line and then say "plus so much more" seems bizarre. Maybe that list are the Thursday headliners across a few smaller stages. 

Maybe I'm just trying to make sense of something and stretching 

The current licence restricts 9 x Stages and 7 x Venues to operating from Fri - Sun only.  Which Stages/Venues those are isn't specified in the Licence itself but is on a separate Licence Plan that isn't public.  Pretty certain it extends further than those on the poster therefore.

56 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

Faithless were one of the greatest live bands I've ever seen... ever.

but Faithless IS (was) Maxi Jazz.

not a fan of this idea to be honest - Sister Bliss playing as "Faithless DJ set" as usual, cool.

but I think the Glade crossroads will be no.1 place to avoid on Thursday.

Agreed.  This will be Williams Green all over again. Glade was chaos last year on Thursday when Example played, and he’s nowhere near the draw of this.

13 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

The current licence restricts 9 x Stages and 7 x Venues to operating from Fri - Sun only.  Which Stages/Venues those are isn't specified in the Licence itself but is on a separate Licence Plan that isn't public.  Pretty certain it extends further than those on the poster therefore.

I've got the list somewhere. Will dig it out when I get home.

Definitely includes the 5 main televised stages plus Acoustic and Avalon though. Can't remember about others.

For some reason I’ve only just caught wind of this, so they’re gonna put Faithless on, on a Thursday night? At the Glade? That’s insanely dangerous!!!!

I will be there front row 🕺

Faithless are up there as one of my all time favourites but also hold the position of probably my favourite ever gig - Oxegen 2004 (old Irish Festival that thankfully is no more)

Faithless were given a midday Sunday main stage slot but there was a rumour going around that they weren’t happy with the low position. However, because they were up against nobody really, pretty much the entire festival was at it (or at least, that’s how it felt). It had been raining most of the morning/afternoon with some pretty heavy showers. Enter Faithless.

Maxi walks out, says a few words in his usual cool-as-f**k Maxi way, points to the sky and then bang, God is a DJ. I kid you not, the rain stops, the clouds disappear and the sun begins to beam down on us for the entire gig… It was bliss.

Then, maybe 5 minutes after they finished up and the crowd began to disperse, it started to absolutely bucket down again, so heavy people were running for shelter in the tents.

God truly was a DJ that day.

RIP Maxi, you were one of a kind ✌🏼

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

This is the previous licence, so slightly out of date now. But should give an indication:

image.thumb.png.f0b64d3f9fe813b3a16561b62df575f4.png

Obviously the main changes since then will have been the various Silver Hayes switcharounds - I'd expect that there's a certain amount of freedom within that area (and within the various SEC corner fields for that matter) to switch things around a bit as long as it doesn't create any new noise impacts especially with relation to the off-site monitoring.

Credit for this goes to Russ Garrett

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, incident said:

This is the previous licence, so slightly out of date now. But should give an indication:

image.thumb.png.f0b64d3f9fe813b3a16561b62df575f4.png

Obviously the main changes since then will have been the various Silver Hayes switcharounds - I'd expect that there's a certain amount of freedom within that area (and within the various SEC corner fields for that matter) to switch things around a bit as long as it doesn't create any new noise impacts especially with relation to the off-site monitoring.

Credit for this goes to Russ Garrett

Brilliant, thanks for this. 

Two of the key things I think they could be doing better are having a bit more on Thursdays and thus avoiding overcrowding at what few things are on and also spreading the late night stuff round the festival more again to avoid the worst overcrowding in the SE corner which for many is ruining it.

Couple things I should clarify as that picture is taken out of context.

The note on some of the Wednesday venues basically amounts to a limit on how much sound they're allowed to output (200W, though not being an audio guy that means nothing to me)

For the Soundchecks on the Group A and B stages, there's some further limits - no more than 1 stage at a time, no more than 2 hours max per stage. And before someone suggests it - at least once West Holts (probably still JazzWorld at that point) took the piss by putting on a live band on for their Thursday Soundcheck. I think probably more than once - I saw Lamb do it in 2009. As a result the Festival was told off, and so it's not going to happen again.

I think that for Group F (the SE Corner), it's representing the Thursday slightly incorrectly or misleadingly. It's showing the hours for "full power" soundchecks, but doesn't make it clear that they're also allowed to go beyond that at reduced output (as on Wednesday).

To echo what’s been said above: Faithless in whatever incarnation, at the glade, on Thursday, unopposed will be daft, beyond stupid, irresponsible.

Have to imagine this means that there will be a number of similar sized acts at the same time around the site. Anything else in lunacy.

But, if this is the case that Thursday is becoming more of a 4th day of music with options around the site in the evening, then I’m all for it! Keen to know which other faithless sized acts will be on the bill on Thursday evening!

2 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

Didn’t Michael’s band play on The Park stage Thursday afternoon last year after the Williams Green crowd was too big the year before? 

6 minutes ago, sedra said:

Didn’t Michael’s band play on The Park stage Thursday afternoon last year after the Williams Green crowd was too big the year before? 

Believe it was reported that they had special permission from the council for that.

Don't think it can be taken as indicative that the council would allow it on a wider or permanent basis.

If it is the Glade, my advice is go through the tree house bar and down the right hand side near the Glade stage bar if you get there late and its busy, found decent space down there for Example last year even when it was gridlock at the crossroads.

Edited by efcfanwirral

This would surely fly in the face of the local authority's recommendation that the festival addresses the Glade crossroads choke point. Section 3.1 here:

https://democracy.somerset.gov.uk/documents/s18977/Glastonbury%20Festival%20Council%20De-brief%20Report%202023-%20Appendix%202%20-%20Officer%20Recommendations%20for%202024.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiMnYOu3_WEAxWdX0EAHcMrCekQFnoECBEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3juq_t2aN0H7ov8LQBN8JQ

Which probably means more acts playing on the Thursday to thin things out in this case, or more significant changes to the Glade area, right?