Glastonbury lineup poster 2024

Crazyfool01

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

I'm not a K Pop man but maybe that's what Seventeen are this year. They are clearly huge... just not household names (well maybe in Korea lol)

My K-Pop knowledge extends to knowing who Blackpink are. Happy to plead ignorance on this one.

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

People say that every year and it never ever happens.

they've not had two years of duff line-ups before, or at such a high price. the days of a guaranteed top level line-up are gone.

Edited by Neil

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I don't have many other acts in mind. Time was Glastonbury would drop a poster and there would be three or four acts you'd never even considered as a possibility that made you sit up and think 'wow!' (Art Garfunkel, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus all recent examples). There's nothing like that on here, that's what makes it underwhelming to me.

I rattled off a list of decent acts on the lineup earlier (think you actually replied to it). All good acts that I'd enjoy seeing with a cider in hand,  but also very predictable bookings. All stuff I could see pretty much anywhere on any given a day.

I go to Glastonbury for the extraordinary, and this all feels very ordinary.

Perhaps its more of a reflection of us all going to festivals for a long time? No surprises anymore? 

The extraordinary becomes ordinary once you've done something 15+ times IMO.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

My K-Pop knowledge extends to knowing who Blackpink are. Happy to plead ignorance on this one.

you and the rest of the uk.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Not having a suitable alternative doesn't make the existing thing good.

Is it bad or just not as good (in your opinion) that you've been accustomed to?

I think (possibly) the lineups last 15 years have been spoilt and this year perhaps they just couldn't get the A list names people now expect.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Apparently they were second to only Swift in streaming numbers last year (think i've got that right, someone said it earlier on here) clearly gigantic but yeah i have no clue

I don’t mind it. It’s looks fairly average just because there aren’t loads of surprise acts you’ve never seen or a rarity. Sting and Olivia Rodrigo would’ve been nice and made it stronger for me. Would’ve liked Stevie Nicks mostly but when you think they’ve tried to get FM to do it and money is always an issue why would this be any different when she’s selling tickets for £150 a pop at BST. 

Buzzing for Avril. Happy with Coldplay. No real must sees but would happily watch LCD, Little Simz, Shania Twain, Cyndi Lauper, Keane, Paloma Faith, Idles, The Streets, Bombay, Bloc Party, TLDP, Nothing But Thieves, Sugababes, Corinne Bailey Rae, Yard Act, Soccer Mommy, Newdad, Fontaines, Baxter Dury & Dexys as a couple I’m a fan of and a few I’ve never seen/wouldn’t pay to see at their own shows. Also means I can shoot off early on the Sunday as not fussed on any of the headliners and can see Justice at Primavera.

Hoping for Placebo, Yungblud, Soft Play, Creeper and Busted when the individual stages come out. Still sucks there seems to be a lack of or reluctance to book big heavy/rock acts. If I’ve missed any on the poster please let me know so I can have a listen and add them to my must see list. 

Anyone think it’s odd they are potentially putting Fontaines and Idles on at the same time? 

Are we thinking it’ll still sell out? Can see a lot putting there ticket back on the basis that the lineup isn’t value for money and whilst a great festival if someone can only do one a year they might go elsewhere this year. 

5 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

But you aren't coming up with any alternatives, so surely if you (and many others) are saying the line up is underwhelming then you'd have another act(s) in mind?  Its probably very difficult to get people 1. big enough to headline 2. agree the lower appearance fee 3. on tour at the same time etc

I'd agree Coldplay is a lazy booking though.

It’s possible to be critical of the line up but also supportive of the festival. Let’s call a spade a spade, most agree it’s a weak line up. It may be the best they could get/afford from a headliner perspective (across all stages), and we all know Glasto is more than the music, but for me it’s the undercard that’s most underwhelming.

Just now, gooner1990 said:

I think (possibly) the lineups last 15 years have been spoilt and this year perhaps they just couldn't get the A list names people now expect.

This is a fair point.

I, like plenty on here, have been doing this for many years now. Spend most of my time on places like this talking about festivals and know almost every in and out well before anything drops. I think the lack of surprises is what's got me down.

I also fully accept that you can't have a stellar lineup every single year, they can only book who is available and willing to take the gig. Some years we have fantastic linesups (2022 for instance) other years we have less fantastic ones.

Just now, MMMarc1720 said:

Dua and Coldplay bring excitement but SZA as a sunday headliner is very underwhelming. The full Sunday headliners are underwhelming actually.

Maybe then it’s a good chance to wander the site and see what’s on the smaller stages at that time. The Avalon etc have still to drop their line ups. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Apparently they were second to only Swift in streaming numbers last year (think i've got that right, someone said it earlier on here) clearly gigantic but yeah i have no clue

6.7 monthly listeners worldwide on Spotify, nowhere near the top. 

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Idles headlining other is the weakest of the whole lot tbh. Doubt they'll get a big crowd. Compared to last year having QOTSA and Lana 

Idles tea-time slot in 2022 was busy, I can't imagine less people turning up?

5 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

last year they demonstrated they'd accept lower than a-list, so now they've got a lot more that's not a-list.