Best visuals, sensory set ever

westholtschic

13 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

It was so good. Not sure how complicated it is to set up. The screen in front that is but I guess to bring it to Glastonbury  would be tricky I'm guessing. 

I can't see it working at Glastonbury sadly

17 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I think because there's a huge crossover in appeal between Radiohead and the Flaming Lips, people had to actively choose to be at the park, and that feeling of dedication definitely helped. 

I dunno. The crowd definitely swelled as folk arrived after having thrown in the towel at Radiohead .  The vibe was probably improved by their flood of relief.

Another vote for the Lips. Loads going on.

The Stones during Sympathy for the Devil too. The smoke from the flares coupled with the red lighting made it feel like an indoor show for a while. Seemed like there was a big red roof over the field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Justice was pretty incred. West Holts stage transformed...

Genuinely one of the best sets in the history of the festival in all aspects.

There's too much nonsense talked about "all timers", but this actually was!

If memory serves, Select magazine reviewed 40 or 50 performances from 1995 out of ten in a cool little pullout.

This got 11/10. Not on the same technical scale as Coldplay or Justice of course but mesmerizing in its own way. Certainly watching on telly it was the reason I wanted to go to Glasto so in my own little way this set means a lot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

If memory serves, Select magazine reviewed 40 or 50 performances from 1995 out of ten in a cool little pullout.

This got 11/10. Not on the same technical scale as Coldplay or Justice of course but mesmerizing in its own way. Certainly watching on telly it was the reason I wanted to go to Glasto so in my own little way this set means a lot.

image.png.73e31084d85cbfc0cc833a9521160f1f.png

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sad that people need pretty lights and other bells & whistles to enjoy a show imho. It should be about the performance and musicianship, not how much you can spend on pyro.

That's a weird take... stage and lighting design is part of a top end performance. 

Even your bang average pub singer with a guitar will have some kind of bell or whistle to enhance their performance. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sad that people need pretty lights and other bells & whistles to enjoy a show imho. It should be about the performance and musicianship, not how much you can spend on pyro.

There is one example where I agree with you.

Stormzy's 2017 Other Stage set was so much better than his headline Pyramid set.

7 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

There is one example where I agree with you.

Stormzy's 2017 Other Stage set was so much better than his headline Pyramid set.

surrounded by screens with visuals on them?

image.png.9645cbbe023407bfe67a987f5834cdda.png

image.png.c849e470961050f8ec4ae861f9a0e9a9.png

Just now, stuie said:

surrounded by screens with visuals on them?

Fair point, but it was like he had nothing in comparison to his headline set, which IMO was over complicated and took something away from his performance.

26 minutes ago, stuie said:

That's a weird take... stage and lighting design is part of a top end performance. 

Even your bang average pub singer with a guitar will have some kind of bell or whistle to enhance their performance. 

I'm sure it looks pretty on Instagram when you spend all your time recording the gig on your phone for social media kudos rather than enjoying the musicianship.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm sure it looks pretty on Instagram when you spend all your time recording the gig on your phone for social media kudos rather than enjoying the musicianship.

Or putting your phone away and losing yourself in an immersive experience where the performance, music and visuals compliment each other perfectly?

• Like 1