Site changes for 2024 …

Crazyfool01

50 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Carhenge did have a stage right. Not that I saw anything on it, but wonder if they could utilise that

Carhenge not as good as it used to be.

I think* (subject to poor memory) 

I have only ever seen 3 acts on William's Green. I'm not sure of the years.

Public Service Broadcasting- busy but not overcrowded tent absolutely cracking hour of music.

Let's Eat Grandma - about 20 people in the tent absolutely great set sad so few turned out to see it 

Big Moon. - tent was absolutely rammed could just about hear from outside it was billed as a secret set and got the impression that a lot of people went just for the secret and were not familiar with them probably would not have gone to see them of they were on the line up.    I guess good PR for the act if nothing else  

3 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I think* (subject to poor memory) 

I have only ever seen 3 acts on William's Green. I'm not sure of the years.

Public Service Broadcasting- busy but not overcrowded tent absolutely cracking hour of music.

Let's Eat Grandma - about 20 people in the tent absolutely great set sad so few turned out to see it 

Big Moon. - tent was absolutely rammed could just about hear from outside it was billed as a secret set and got the impression that a lot of people went just for the secret and were not familiar with them probably would not have gone to see them of they were on the line up.    I guess good PR for the act if nothing else  

Every year I would have several acts playing Williams Green highlighted on my clashfinder but they were never my first choice so almost always ended up elsewhere - think only exception was seeing Sports Team and that was mostly because I was desperate for some time out of the sun that day.

That and standing outside the tent trying to hear Guilty Pleasures on a Thursday night are the only two visits I can think of.

11 minutes ago, mouserat said:

Every year I would have several acts playing Williams Green highlighted on my clashfinder but they were never my first choice so almost always ended up elsewhere - think only exception was seeing Sports Team and that was mostly because I was desperate for some time out of the sun that day.

That and standing outside the tent trying to hear Guilty Pleasures on a Thursday night are the only two visits I can think of.

I usually caught at least 1 set in there each year, it was never particularly busy in there though so i'm not surprised it's gone by the wayside.

16 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Yes....where the Crown was sponsored by Budweiser if I remember correctly.

Indeed. I was the security supervisor in their one year, I think 2004?

It was one of the times England got knocked out a major football tournament 

4 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Indeed. I was the security supervisor in their one year, I think 2004?

It was one of the times England got knocked out a major football tournament 

Can’t you narrow it down any further? That’s 50% of the years. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, tarw said:

Can’t you narrow it down any further? That’s 50% of the years. 

Might have been Holland, a QF or SF and maybe a Thursday? 😅

Edited by Paul ™

My favourite thing about WG was their late night stuff. Deptford Soul, Motown etc. Good options that gave the night time slate a bit of variety. They should put that on Carhenge instead of the generic DJs they had any time I went past last year.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

My favourite thing about WG was their late night stuff. Deptford Soul, Motown etc. Good options that gave the night time slate a bit of variety. They should put that on Carhenge instead of the generic DJs they had any time I went past last year.

Good call, one of the things they could carry over to the same space and helps to retain some variety. 

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

Yea this. Not sure why they wouldn't unless worried about people climbing the cars, but more stewards would help with that. 

A northern soul night there would be brilliant. 

Edited by fred quimby

9 hours ago, fred quimby said:

A northern soul night there would be brilliant. 

would be good maybe try to get kev Rowland down to DJ,

at one point northern soul would have been the antithesis of everything Glastonbury.

On 3/28/2024 at 10:56 AM, tarw said:

It was never a “New Bands” tent. It was a replacement for the “Bands Tent”. 
Sorry to be pedantic but that’s me. The New Band tent is probably BBC Introducing 

I know I spent most of my time worse for wear in the late 90s but I am sure the New Bands Tent wasn't a mirage 😛

and before anyone says otherwise, besides the top 2/3 bands it was definitely a space for new bands. I remember 2000 was wall to wall indie bands with their first singles out. Very similar to WG I imagine.

Edited by irnkrtn

1 hour ago, irnkrtn said:

I know I spent most of my time worse for wear in the late 90s but I am sure the New Bands Tent wasn't a mirage 😛

and before anyone says otherwise, besides the top 2/3 bands it was definitely a space for new bands. I remember 2000 was wall to wall indie bands with their first singles out. Very similar to WG I imagine.

I thought the same as you but I went and checked the 1998 programne and I think it's listed as the Bands Tent and as it was introduced that year it would have been the 'new' bands tent. You're right in that it seemed to put on new bands though.

23 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I thought the same as you but I went and checked the 1998 programne and I think it's listed as the Bands Tent and as it was introduced that year it would have been the 'new' bands tent. You're right in that it seemed to put on new bands though.

Oddly I remember this one as well! It was definitely named New Bands Tent in 1999 and 2000, but it might have been that for three or so years and no more. It definitely programmed new bands intentionally around that time because I was working at a booking agency in London, which was responsible for programming the Acoustic stage in its entirety. They were also approached by the festival to program some of their new bands from their roster into New Bands - I think it must have been held centrally?  New Bands Tent | Performing Glastonbury (vam.ac.uk)

I don't know if it stopped that after then or if that was just those couple of years??

Edited by irnkrtn

3 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

Oddly I remember this one as well! It was definitely named New Bands Tent in 1999 and 2000, but it might have been that for three or so years and no more. It definitely programmed new bands intentionally around that time because I was working at a booking agency in London, which was responsible for programming the Acoustic stage in its entirety. They were also approached by the festival to program some of their new bands from their roster into New Bands - I think it must have been held centrally?  New Bands Tent | Performing Glastonbury (vam.ac.uk)

I don't know if it stopped that after then or if that was just those couple of years??

Checked the programmes, it was New Tent in 1998 and 1999 but became New Bands Tent in 2000.