Site changes for 2024 …

Crazyfool01

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Everyone knows how much I adore the festival, but losing Williams Green still really hurts. There was and is no other venue that had/has that identity and curated line-up. It was like a small version of the 'New Bands Tent' that JPT was once and for many of us was a key part of our daily line-up schedule. Yes, the big bookings, especially on Thursday with so much less on around the site, became untenable. Fine. Stop booking those bands. But, that combination of upcoming bands and also daytime sets by more established artists who were playing elsewhere during the weekend (Everything Everything, Courtney Barnett etc) was unique to Glastonbury, and its passing is one small step towards the Farm feeling more like 'all the other festivals'. And that's a huge shame. With the loss of The Rabbit Hole, the only vaguely comparable daytime venue (though I do understand the reasons for its end), that type of experience at Glastonbury has taken another huge hit for those of us less interested in chart popular stuff and nostalgia acts. I truly hope they knock it out of The Park with a replacement for the ol' Hole. 

Ben

Spot on as always ben. Your eloquence is admirable!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Long Drop said:

The iicon field is very underutilised, how about using it as a Williams green stage during the day into the evening? (I seem to remember the original williams green finished fairly early so shouldn't impact on iicon's lineup)

I love this idea but cant imagine the block 9 crew would be too pleased

They’ve had the notting hill carnival takeover down there but still fairly low key

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Everyone knows how much I adore the festival, but losing Williams Green still really hurts. There was and is no other venue that had/has that identity and curated line-up. It was like a small version of the 'New Bands Tent' that JPT was once and for many of us was a key part of our daily line-up schedule. Yes, the big bookings, especially on Thursday with so much less on around the site, became untenable. Fine. Stop booking those bands. But, that combination of upcoming bands and also daytime sets by more established artists who were playing elsewhere during the weekend (Everything Everything, Courtney Barnett etc) was unique to Glastonbury, and its passing is one small step towards the Farm feeling more like 'all the other festivals'. And that's a huge shame. With the loss of The Rabbit Hole, the only vaguely comparable daytime venue (though I do understand the reasons for its end), that type of experience at Glastonbury has taken another huge hit for those of us less interested in chart popular stuff and nostalgia acts. I truly hope they knock it out of The Park with a replacement for the ol' Hole. 

Ben

williams green was always too pop for me, and never a part of my schedule. (think i only saw one act there), its not something i'll miss.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Neil said:

williams green was a replacement for nothing.

Williams Green was a replacement for the Queens Head.

Which in turn was previously known as The Crown, when it was in the Other Stage field.

The spot across from the Meeting Point was previously occupied by the Left Field.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

Can't help but notice this thread often being a grumble fest, rather than anything to do with 2024 site changes. 

Wait until we see the new map. Then we can really start GrumbleFest 24.

🙂 

Especially if they touch my beloved Oxlyers.

Edited by DareToDibble
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, incident said:

Which in turn was previously known as The Crown, when it was in the Other Stage field.

The spot across from the Meeting Point was previously occupied by the Left Field.

That is how I remember it as well.

7 minutes ago, incident said:

Left field was further up at the bottom of muddy lane. You're right about queen's head that used to have Thursday bands always too full to be enjoyable.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

Left field was further up at the bottom of muddy lane. You're right about queen's head that used to have Thursday bands always too full to be enjoyable.

Yes, Left Field was on the corner itself. But given that WG was only about 3 or 4 stalls down from the corner, for me that's not a distinction of any substance and it counts as essentially the same location.

Wouldn't say Williams green was a replacement for queens head. But it duplicated what queens head did so they ended queen's head 

47 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Can't help but notice this thread often being a grumble fest, rather than anything to do with 2024 site changes. 

I think that's mostly because there's no Info on new stuff.

The only thing we know is genosys is back.

44 minutes ago, incident said:

Yes, Left Field was on the corner itself. But given that WG was only about 3 or 4 stalls down from the corner, for me that's not a distinction of any substance and it counts as essentially the same location.

Fair enough to me left field was on the corner and wg was the middle of that bit.wg was originally publicised as a food court rather than a music venue.

6 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Carhenge did have a stage right. Not that I saw anything on it, but wonder if they could utilise that

I can see it developing into a Trash City type of area. They certainly had bands and DJs on in 2009