2024 Ticket Buying Tips

parsonjack

19 hours ago, stuie said:

That tweet was one of the most pointless tweets of the year. 

As if everyone was about to turn off their extra devices and start shutting tabs down 😁

I’m glad I never saw it as it was a tab that I had auto-refreshing in the background that eventually got through whilst the two I was hammering refresh on never got anything. 

7 hours ago, assorted said:

I can’t tell you specific names or something, but there's been a lot of anecdotal stories written on this thread as well as Reddit of people selling “guaranteed” tickets that was this method. I’ve been reading enough of them that I’m assuming at least some are true. 

Loads of people got a really good deal then by getting the hack for free

1 hour ago, Nick_ said:

Hmm.  Really?

More of an issue would be the channel they chose to use - would many people wanting to buy a ticket (and using this deprecated approach of multiple screens or devices) actually be reading Twitter at the time they were doing it?

Yes, really. Not a chance.

And I’m sure I’m one of many who has set Twitter to send all posts from the festival to pop up as a notification, so don’t need to be anywhere near the site to see it instantly.

I used the hack in 2013 and if I'd known about the hack this year I would've used it as well, especially after about half an hour of nothing - heck I'm mainly on here during that time for exactly things like that.

As it was I didn't get tickets, probably won't be trying in the resale.

Now the hack shouldn't be possible at all, but if it is I'm disappointed that I didn't know about it not that others used it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I used the hack in 2013 and if I'd known about the hack this year I would've used it as well, especially after about half an hour of nothing - heck I'm mainly on here during that time for exactly things like that.

As it was I didn't get tickets, probably won't be trying in the resale.

Now the hack shouldn't be possible at all, but if it is I'm disappointed that I didn't know about it not that others used it.

yeah i'm with you on this. not sure why id dint actually do it, or join one of the spreadsheets.  i'm around these parts often enough. 

who's organising the resale spreadsheet?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, clarkete said:

Although if see earn their fees the issue will be addressed, so all of those folks will be sacrificing one or more devices for the length of the time they're trying and sending their traffic down a blind alley.

100%, but based on how badly our group did on the main sale I think sacrificing a single device to try it is worth the gamble.  The biggest problem is going to be speed, I can't imagine resale tickets will be available for more than a few minutes anyway.   

People are clutching at straws suggesting that Glasto / See should cancel any tickets using hacks / bots. They have sent out confirmation emails to these people. Cancelling the tickets would be horrendous publicity. It's not their fault that See tickets has back door links etc. 

It does however give substance to people's argument for some kind of fair ballot where each group of 6 people would have a fair / equal chance of securing tickets. 

On 11/22/2023 at 10:09 AM, Aragorn said:

I had quite a strange experience trying for friends - using a link that was on here somewhere I got in at 08:58am to the enter registrations page.  Put them all in but then a message appeared saying tickets not available until 9am and the confirm button was greyed out.

At 09:00am I refreshed and the confirm button became live - so I clicked but got put back into the holding page.  I went back and forth a few times to the enter reg page and clicked confirm but no joy.  Assume it had not allocated a session cookie to me as I got through pre 9am but I am not technical in this area though have some understanding.  

Exactly the same thing happened to one of our group. Got in slightly early and got the reg page, but then spent the rest of the time filling in the reg details and then being bounced between the holding page and submitting the reg form.

I've just tried 2 ways of getting the IP address for Glastonbury.seetickets.com and both give me this number. This is very different to the range that was contained within this thread and also provided in the myip link that someone provided. 

I'm just trying to understand how all of the host file changing an IP address stuff works. In the past it would have had no interest to me as a heavy current electrical engineer but now I'm working as an OT lead and doing a project where we have to integrate with a file transfer registry and also a website and so this techy stuff has started to interest me - I like to know how things work. Am I doing something incorrectly, looking at completely the wrong thing or have See changed something since the sale? 

image.png.756a9aa47f348fccb57e347af60564e3.png

On 11/23/2023 at 6:27 PM, Mark_safc said:

People are clutching at straws suggesting that Glasto / See should cancel any tickets using hacks / bots. They have sent out confirmation emails to these people. Cancelling the tickets would be horrendous publicity. It's not their fault that See tickets has back door links etc. 

It does however give substance to people's argument for some kind of fair ballot where each group of 6 people would have a fair / equal chance of securing tickets. 

To go one step further, the festival don’t care either surrounding a little blip like this - the festival sold out 9 months prior through whichever method. SEE provide the infrastructure and as you say it’s not GFLs problem as long as it’s fixed for next time.

Edited by discgoesmic

On 11/22/2023 at 12:46 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Either way, even though the initial ticket sale has been a PR disaster for the festival, it's done nothing to reduce the demand. The publicity may well have actually increased it. Regardless of the ticket price, weather, headliners or TV coverage, these demand levels are here to stay for the foreseeable future. I don't think we'll ever see a time when it takes over an hour to sell out again, IT issues aside. It's quite simply the party and there's nowhere else like it. 

But the thing is it doesnt take that many actual people to sell the fest out. If you get the max 6 tickets that means only 20,000+ actual people have to get in and hit the purchase button. Think how different it would be if the limit was 2. The thing is with such high demand you normally decrease the limit. Im sure if they had been allowing a max of 10 tix at a time there wouldve been a huge outcry as to why thats being allowed. 

I think after this sale, next year is going to see an even larger number of people using a hack/bot/paid and such to get their tickets and be happy with paying a premium to guarantee tickets. Figure if See and Glasto see this becoming rampant theyll have to figure something out to get ahead of it. I swear if everyone did that this it would sell out in 15 minutes. I think that would set off some alarms.

Edited by Suprefan

8 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

I've just tried 2 ways of getting the IP address for Glastonbury.seetickets.com and both give me this number. This is very different to the range that was contained within this thread and also provided in the myip link that someone provided. 

I'm just trying to understand how all of the host file changing an IP address stuff works. In the past it would have had no interest to me as a heavy current electrical engineer but now I'm working as an OT lead and doing a project where we have to integrate with a file transfer registry and also a website and so this techy stuff has started to interest me - I like to know how things work. Am I doing something incorrectly, looking at completely the wrong thing or have See changed something since the sale? 

I don't know the technical side of things but I'd be very surprised if they hadn't patched the loophole by now.

16 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

I don’t have a ticket, I do think the server trick was immoral and am getting on with my life. 

Anyone saying they wouldn't have used it for 'moral' reasons is being untruthful imo... I would have used it if I'd have known about it. The blame lies with SeeTickets.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/26/2023 at 2:45 AM, The other Bellboy said:

Pretty sure you've got that IP by doing a Ping to glastonbury.seetickets.com.  When you do a Ping your computer checks various repositories to find the IP address to use, with the DNS (Domain Name Service) service being the last option so, in your case, DNS has given you the 13.87.94.169 IP that Seetickets are publicly advertising on the DNS service at present.

Now, using publicly available networking tools and apps it was noticed that Seetickets have a large range of IP Addresses that they own and use for various purposes on their systems.  Through a process of guesswork and testing it was determined that there were other IP Addresses that See use, and regularly switch to, plus 3 other IPs that they don't use on DNS but which *could* be used to access the ticketing system.   All that was needed was to trick your computer into using one or more of these IPs instead of the one being advertised on the DNS service.

This is where your Hosts file comes into play.  As mentioned above, when you ask your browser to go to a URL it checks various repositories to find an IP to use, with the DNS service being last.  The first check however is done against a text file called 'Hosts', which is stored in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc folder, and is very simply a list of IPs to URLs.  By editing the Hosts file to add the new IPs against the glastonbury.seetickets.com URL you can force your computer to use those IPs first, and hence hit the 'other' servers instead of the main one that See wish you to use.

Hope that helps explain....wishing you all the best on your techy journey.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Pretty sure you've got that IP by doing a Ping to glastonbury.seetickets.com.  When you do a Ping your computer checks various repositories to find the IP address to use, with the DNS (Domain Name Service) service being the last option so, in your case, DNS has given you the 13.87.94.169 IP that Seetickets are publicly advertising on the DNS service at present.

Now, using publicly available networking tools and apps it was noticed that Seetickets have a large range of IP Addresses that they own and use for various purposes on their systems.  Through a process of guesswork and testing it was determined that there were other IP Addresses that See use, and regularly switch to, plus 3 other IPs that they don't use on DNS but which *could* be used to access the ticketing system.   All that was needed was to trick your computer into using one or more of these IPs instead of the one being advertised on the DNS service.

This is where your Hosts file comes into play.  As mentioned above, when you ask your browser to go to a URL it checks various repositories to find an IP to use, with the DNS service being last.  The first check however is done against a text file called 'Hosts', which is stored in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc folder, and is very simply a list of IPs to URLs.  By editing the Hosts file to add the new IPs against the glastonbury.seetickets.com URL you can force your computer to use those IPs first, and hence hit the 'other' servers instead of the main one that See wish you to use.

Hope that helps explain....wishing you all the best on your techy journey.

Best explanation so far! Thanks.

Fwiw, I think see tickets should put out a statement saying that tickets obtained via unauthorized access may be canceled as a warning.

I'm not suggesting that any of this year's tickets should actually be canceled, but I don't think we should condone an escalating technical game of cat and mouse.

1 hour ago, majormajormajor said:

This has been mentioned a few times, but again for those at the back of the room:

• It's not a 'loophole'; and 
  • It hasn't been 'patched'.

That's a bit pedantic - it wasn't intentional or by design so it's fair to call it a loophole.  

Prohibiting Glastonbury sales through servers which are not intended for Glastonbury sales can be considered a patch. 

You won't know if it's been 'patched' until the resale, so I'm not sure what the point of your post is.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, majormajormajor said:

This has been mentioned a few times, but again for those at the back of the room:

• It's not a 'loophole'; and 
  • It hasn't been 'patched'.

Actually it had - anyone accessing the local sale at the weekend using such methods was shown an unshiftable blue holding page. If they removed the settings change on their PC, the site loaded straight up as normal.

That's actually quite smart as it makes people think they haven't buggered up their chances when they now have for potential future sales - unless they change the setting back, of course. 

• Upvote 5

58 minutes ago, UEF said:

Actually it had - anyone accessing the local sale at the weekend using such methods was shown an unshiftable blue holding page. If they removed the settings change on their PC, the site loaded straight up as normal.

That's actually quite smart as it makes people think they haven't buggered up their chances when they now have for potential future sales - unless they change the setting back, of course. 

Where did you see this out of interest? Just wondering who tested it is all 🙂

1 hour ago, UEF said:

Annoyed I didn't think to check! Might give it a whirl for the accomodation sale as I'm not after any of those options.

Not that I don't believe you. Just want to prat about.

2 hours ago, stuie said:

That's a bit pedantic - it wasn't intentional or by design so it's fair to call it a loophole.  

Prohibiting Glastonbury sales through servers which are not intended for Glastonbury sales can be considered a patch. 

You won't know if it's been 'patched' until the resale, so I'm not sure what the point of your post is.  

Just curious - who is to say those servers weren't intended for the sale? They were Seetickets servers that processed sales, were they not?