2024 Ticket Buying Tips

parsonjack

1 hour ago, FloopFiller said:

Not that I think it’s a good idea, but would have to be groups surely otherwise you could end up going solo unwillingly as none of your friends get tickets. 

Is that particularly a problem?  Do people in general only want to go if a specific group of friends are going too?

15 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

Sorry, but it isn't 'patched'. It's just that you can see only one IP address resolving behind the URL.

Screenshot_20231120-192042.png

Yes - and realistically, it'll be impossible to determine whether it's patched or not until the next time they have cause to put their secondary/backup servers live.

Trying the exploit now, getting nowhere, and declaring that it's patched somewhat misses the target.

32 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I am not in favour of the ballot, each to there own.  

Just feels no effort goes into it. My group would have one chance at the tickets. But as a group we have to organise, get up be ready and have more than one chance during the time tickets are on sale. 

Yes you can get more people to help but that is more effort on your part to make that happen. 

What would happen to a resale? would have to make sure everyone was prepared to be in the ballot again. 

I find it amusing that people somehow ascribe luck, either by increasing their odds artificially or just by having more mates, to "effort"

Everyone goes through the same "effort" on the day, if you get tickets it's not because you tried the hardest and deserve them over others.

As for resale, there shouldn't need to be one of everyone pays within their 24 hour slot.

Anyway I'm clearly in the minority here and people would prefer a system that was biased in whatever way benefits them the most so no point going in circles. Just something else I can chuckle about when people bang on about a Glastonbury "ethos"

12 minutes ago, incident said:

Yes - and realistically, it'll be impossible to determine whether it's patched or not until the next time they have cause to put their secondary/backup servers live.

Trying the exploit now, getting nowhere, and declaring that it's patched somewhat misses the target.

Didn't think I was seeing a 403 yesterday when someone shared the IP after the sale with that host entry in place, could be wrong though. 

Edit: saying that, still serves up the holding page when pointing at 167.98.233.90 which was never in the published DNS records anyway. Where did that 167 address come from I wonder? 

Edited by CurlyPutz
Added more context

1 hour ago, Gingerfish79 said:

How can you possibly know that? 

As I said in a later post it's a hunch. I seriously doubt that many tickets went to people who understand the tech side of the system. If it was that simple to understand then everyone on here would know how it all works and we'd all have tickets. Clearly there are flaws in the system but I would guess that very very few know how to exploit it. 

1 hour ago, assorted said:

“Us?” 

Unless you discovered the exploit, you are like the overwhelming amount of people that used it and benefited from it - people who copy and pasted from someone they knew that heard about it - or paid someone to get the information. Not exactly an elite team of networking experts that exclusively benefited. 

Not exactly the Glastonbury ethos.

And since “life’s not fair,” I suppose you won’t mind a campaign encouraging others to write Seetickets and Glastonbury, explain the exploit, point out how using a server not intended to be active in the sale sounds like a violation of the Computer Misuse Act, and as in the interest of fairness (the reason the sale was bumped back 2 weeks), at the least ask for this to be fixed and all tickets bought using this server be cancelled. 

Actually, what I just typed sounds pretty fair, not unfair. So I suppose you would mind.

It absolutely doesn’t sounds like a violation of the computer misuse act. No one hacked anything. 

Aside from this IP address trick, I really do understand that it’s upsetting not to get tickets - I’ve been in that boat before - but this is getting silly now. Having a go at people who may have more friends/family to help etc is just over the top. 

Several years ago now when we didn’t get tickets, I rejoined Oxfam. Something I used to do when I was a poor student. You know what, it was one of my best decisions ever.

Brush yourselves off, get ready for the resale or register your interest to volunteer. It’s only a festival, at the end of the day. 

45 minutes ago, Nick_ said:

Ah, yeah - seen it now.  Thanks very much - much appreciated.  I'll have a good read through and see if I can apply it to my circs. 

Thanks for the reassurance.

My pleasure, there are plenty of folks here far nicer and more able than I who will be happy to offer you advice if you're still looking when resale time comes around April-ish 😊

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I find it amusing that people somehow ascribe luck, either by increasing their odds artificially or just by having more mates, to "effort"

Everyone goes through the same "effort" on the day, if you get tickets it's not because you tried the hardest and deserve them over others.

As for resale, there shouldn't need to be one of everyone pays within their 24 hour slot.

Anyway I'm clearly in the minority here and people would prefer a system that was biased in whatever way benefits them the most so no point going in circles. Just something else I can chuckle about when people bang on about a Glastonbury "ethos"

You can keep on banging on about it yourself if you like but if you’d got a ticket I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t still be complaining about people with more mates or more devices. 

To probably add nothing to the topic that hasn’t already been mentioned (sorry, I’m not a regular here), the main reason Glastonbury is so good is the people - you’ll all have noticed that at Glastonbury, everyone is really happy and really nice to each other! Whilst other festivals are often fun, this is really NOT the case at other festivals or in our general lives.

Part of that is that everyone attending is really grateful and REALLY wants to be there - they’ve all put effort into being organised, getting up and pressing f5 for an hour (that’s not to say there are a few unlucky hundred thousand who also really want to be there but can’t, simply because demand outstrips supply).

I can think of loads of mates who would never try for tickets but who would enter the ballot on a whim (same way I do for London marathon - I don’t particularly care for it so I would never press f5 for an hour for it, but I do enter the ballot most years when I remember!).

If the audience were made up of mainly half arsed people who entered a ballot, I honestly think it would be disastrous for the vibe, and not the festival we know. Still probably the best festival in the country, but closer to just a generic fun big festival, instead of the glasto we are all obsessed by.

People do get angry without fail all over social media whenever they can’t get a ticket. It would be exactly the same with a ballot.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 6

Don't know if it's been said already but how do people feel about the old days. When some people paid to get in and some people jumped the fence and got in for free?

From what I've read/heard that was very much the spirit of the festival. Wasn't discouraged by Eavis who seems to be a very anti-authoritarian.

Overall, is this not similar?

If I'm wrong pls educate me👍

It's a weird feeling this time, the worst luck we've ever had - 3 people from 28 successful. Nobody from the other 25 saw anything other than the holding page.

I was unsuccessful last time but when it came to the resale there was only 8 of us left. I got incredibly lucky thanks to a kind soul on here. This time it just feels next level, so brutal.

Pretty deflated in all honesty. I've been to 9 on the bounce but this time it does feel like a bridge too far. A shame and I will still try in April but I feel beaten at this point - especially after hearing some of the stuff that went on in the sale. Grim

31 minutes ago, Nick_ said:

Is that particularly a problem?  Do people in general only want to go if a specific group of friends are going too?

Come on - ticket day fairness is one thing but don't get tunnel visioned. Going solo may not be be a problem for you (or me) but it would exclude many people for a host of reasons - some of them perilous!

9 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Didn't know you were a mind reader and a clairvoyant

No special powers needed to detect this from your posts. It’s the same every year from people who didn’t get tickets. 

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

No special powers needed to detect this from your posts. It’s the same every year from people who didn’t get tickets. 

Here's some posts from 2022 when I did have a ticket. Just because some people have zero interest in a fair system, don't tar the rest of us with your self obsessed brush. I can't find my old account login for here to show older posts, but as I said my opinion doesn't change regardless of success or not.

Now why don't you go accuse people of lying about their loneliness again you insufferable twat

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Scrump said:

Don't know if it's been said already but how do people feel about the old days. When some people paid to get in and some people jumped the fence and got in for free?

From what I've read/heard that was very much the spirit of the festival. Wasn't discouraged by Eavis who seems to be a very anti-authoritarian.

lol, you weren't on these forums in the years before the superfence were you. Post-festival it was carnage!

1 hour ago, CurlyPutz said:

Didn't think I was seeing a 403 yesterday when someone shared the IP after the sale with that host entry in place, could be wrong though. 

Edit: saying that, still serves up the holding page when pointing at 167.98.233.90 which was never in the published DNS records anyway. Where did that 167 address come from I wonder? 

Well, .88 has been in use for some time. 

https://myip.ms/browse/sites_history/1/siteID/18806/

30 minutes ago, Scrump said:

Just to add - this isn't "the old days". It happens now on an absolute *industrial* scale, potentially in the thousands, between the local villager ticket loophole  & people paying to go in the back of traders vans which very rarely get checked. 

I guess the only difference is it's people paying to bunk in now, although you do still get the odd successful runner (and those that get caught just get dropped off outside the gates to try again)

Edited by ProperTea
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Trying to keep out of this debate all day, but the statement above is such utter nonsense.  The "effort" put in varies massively.  Some people refresh for 10-15 minutes and get fed-up, some don't even use F5.  On the other hand I spent most of Saturday evening setting up as many devices as I could and had my Wife and kids up early and all hands on deck on Sunday morning (I hardly slept Sat night 🤣)    I didn't use the hack and I got my own tickets for the 3rd year running and I firmly believe the effort I put in massively improves my odds. Luck certainly plays a huge part, but the "effort" helps significantly.

• Upvote 1