2024 headline speculation

airwaves

Despite our indifference, I'd wager solid money on IDLES having the biggest crowd of the weekend for the headliners (unless the millions of TikTok Gen Z shoegaze fans show up for slowdive)

Edited by robith

1 hour ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Apparently these were later additions last year? Suprised with how big some of the names are on that if so.

RDT_20240207_1033561643094544586058239.jpg

RDT_20240207_1035053643560049803399062.jpg

They were, but the initial drop last year was nowhere near as strong as this - especially in the 2nd/3rd group of names

I’d be surprised if anyone of particular note is added

Superb line-up with the exception of Idles

I imagined there'd be civil war over IDLES but they're one of four headliners and surely nobody ever watches all the Woods headliners, and it says something great about the festival's reputation that they're headlining this and Truck, which is double the capacity. And look how very strong that second line is with a previous and two expected headliners, especially as that was the big letdown last year (as I said yesterday, Arooj Aftab was great but she was nobody's idea of a Garden headliner on announcement)  CMAT is headlining a 10,000 capacity festival (Deer Shed) weeks earlier and she's in the third level! No Big Thief is a letdown especially with them being the last major Covid cancellation holdout but the GM weekend always worked out better for what they've so far announced.

I've had a go at a speculative Clashfinder - it's relatively pointless at this stage because we don't have any day confirmations except BPB (and NewDad, who have gigs Friday to Sunday) but it shows where everything might fit together going on the graphic. https://clashfinder.com/s/eotr2024/

31 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I imagined there'd be civil war over IDLES but they're one of four headliners and surely nobody ever watches all the Woods headliners, and it says something great about the festival's reputation that they're headlining this and Truck, which is double the capacity. And look how very strong that second line is with a previous and two expected headliners, especially as that was the big letdown last year (as I said yesterday, Arooj Aftab was great but she was nobody's idea of a Garden headliner on announcement)  CMAT is headlining a 10,000 capacity festival (Deer Shed) weeks earlier and she's in the third level! No Big Thief is a letdown especially with them being the last major Covid cancellation holdout but the GM weekend always worked out better for what they've so far announced.

I've had a go at a speculative Clashfinder - it's relatively pointless at this stage because we don't have any day confirmations except BPB (and NewDad, who have gigs Friday to Sunday) but it shows where everything might fit together going on the graphic. https://clashfinder.com/s/eotr2024/

I haven't been in a few years - is the silent disco only on thursdays now? It's always been a cheesy highlight of the festival for me...

31 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Lankum garden stage 

YLT | Fever Ray | Lankum would be a great set of headliners for me.  Would probably skip Slowdive having seen them last year and probably again at Wide Awake this year.

Acts I’d be extremely excited for would be Ichiko Aoba, Cornelius, Sanam, Richard Dawson, Blue Lake and Tara Clerkin Trio.

Lots of others I’d be keen for like Jockstrap, Joanna Sternberg, Mdou Moctar, Sleater Kinney, Bonnie Prince Billy, Nourished by Time, Mary Lattimore, SLIFT, Water From Your Eyes and ML Buch.

Lots to explore as well which is good. 

27 minutes ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Definitely a drift away from some of them experimental acts which featured last year. Maybe that was a one off linked to touring schedules.

I'm not sure this is entirely the case, there's a lot of ambient/electronic//noisy stuff down the list, and remember Supersonic that weekend hasn't announced anything yet. I make it 26 places (including a late night Big Top DJ) still to be filled with a greater number of first announcement names up top than last year.