2024 headline speculation

airwaves

11 hours ago, The Nal said:

Close by the week before

PJ Harvey - Belfast

The Halifax date appears to have a capacity of 7500, and Belfast 5000. Other recent headliners have played smaller venues in those areas, except Pixies who have headlined 8000 and 5000 sized shows in Manchester, so it is certainly not impossible that PJ is playing EOTR despite what others have said. Bristol area is curiously missing from these new dates. That said PJ has a critically acclaimed album and so far has been very careful in her selected venues and festivals, while I wouldn't say the same for Pixies, so my guess is that she is not playing EOTR.

Edited by emmanuel

I don't know whether we're just using this as a general line-up thread now but Manchester Psych Fest on August 31st is making its first announcement definitely this week and seemingly tomorrow (Thursday), which should give us the first definite indication of who's around that weekend.

(I also wonder if we might get the first EOTR announcement in December, they've done it before and a lot of festivals seem to be going earlier than normal)

Just now, SweepingTheNation said:

Going by eFests' own news updates, 2011 to 2013's first announcements were in December and 2010's was on 16th November 2009!

Ah good spot. It is more than a decade ago so a pattern has been established since. Also would guess they were a smattering of names but far from a chunky poster, as is now expected.

FWIW two European festivals happening the weekend between Green Man and EOTR have made some announcements: Canela Party have announced Big Thief, Gilla Band, Ibibio Sound Machine, Metz, Protomartyr, Sheer Mag, Snooper and Wednesday, while Rock en Seine have Blonde Redhead, Soulwax, The Hives and The Kills. Additionally Fontaines DC are at Paredes de Coura the weekend before those and have already headlined Green Man, but I suspect they're borderline in size.

2 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Saturday of EOTR weekend. A few options here but I think we can pen Mdou Moctar in as a Woods sub or Garden headliner, he was listed for 2017 and 2018 and pulled out both times.

psych.jpg

Good spot. A weak start for them this year, hope that’s not indicative of who is around (though MM is great)

9 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Saturday of EOTR weekend. A few options here but I think we can pen Mdou Moctar in as a Woods sub or Garden headliner, he was listed for 2017 and 2018 and pulled out both times.

psych.jpg

If we're looking to fill the ever-popular artists-who-have-pulled-out-multiple-times slot, surely we must be looking at the long-overdue return of Damien Jurado.

On 11/29/2023 at 10:07 AM, SweepingTheNation said:

I don't know whether we're just using this as a general line-up thread now but Manchester Psych Fest on August 31st is making its first announcement definitely this week and seemingly tomorrow (Thursday), which should give us the first definite indication of who's around that weekend.

(I also wonder if we might get the first EOTR announcement in December, they've done it before and a lot of festivals seem to be going earlier than normal)

Sorry, for duplicate - came to the original comment via a search result - won't let me delete!

Anyway, both Baxter Dury and the Horrors should be excellent! Saw BD last summer and it was a unique, electric performance.

Screenshot_20231201-131838~2.png

Edited by sheffinghell

Wrote a brief list of acts upper bill sized artists who appear to be active in 2024, some obviously much more likely than others (for example Newsom who has recently announced for Kilby Block Party in the US) but just a bit of fun! 

Any thoughts? Stupidly excited already. 🙂

• Tricky
  • Big Thief
  • PJ Harvey
  • Baxter Dury
  • Joanna Newsom
  • Tricky
  • Ty Segall
  • The Horrors
  • Breeders
  • Squid
  • Lankum