The Red Arrows flypast. Where were you?

MrZigster

2 hours ago, Radi0Head said:

I feel a bit disappointed about having the red arrows at Glastonbury.

As a festival which has done so much for peace and supports many charities campaigning for peace. Is it right to have an advert for British imperialism at this festival. I do not think so.

I get it, but it's not a scheduled act, they may divert their route a bit to overfly and no doubt let the event know, but it's not a part of the show. They are between booked air shows and buzz the site as a sideshow. We saw them overfly in 2019 and it was 9:56 on the Friday morning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Its an aerobatics display team. Its essentially dancing in little planes. Its not exactly an inflatable Oliver Cromwell being paraded - as shows of potential British imperialism go, this really doesn't even slightly register 

You’re right it’s not an inflatable Oliver Cromwell being paraded. 

However, I disagree that it does not register. thousands of people saw the red arrows fly past, So I do think it registered.

I feel what we are failing to do is draw the connection between the red arrows doing a fly by and military propaganda. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

I get it, but it's not a scheduled act, they may divert their route a bit to overfly and no doubt let the event know, but it's not a part of the show. They are between booked air shows and buzz the site as a sideshow. We saw them overfly in 2019 and it was 9:56 on the Friday morning.

This is a good point. they are not a scheduled act and I don’t think the Eavii would book them. We can probably infer why they wouldn’t book the red arrows.

What I am trying to understand is wether it is a good thing for them to be flying past. I don’t think it is

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Its an aerobatics display team. Its essentially dancing in little planes. Its not exactly an inflatable Oliver Cromwell being paraded - as shows of potential British imperialism go, this really doesn't even slightly register 

I've suddenly had a great idea for a flag next year.

4 hours ago, Radi0Head said:

This is a good point. they are not a scheduled act and I don’t think the Eavii would book them. We can probably infer why they wouldn’t book the red arrows.

What I am trying to understand is wether it is a good thing for them to be flying past. I don’t think it is

I'd doubt the festival has any say whether they fly over or not.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Yeah it was'nt a small 2 man thing more of a passenger one presumably for him and all of his entourage.

Yep, it was Dyson's AW139  lifted at about 1145pm from the field opposite the bus station at Gate A.

Funny story was that pilots came in with EJ and got backstage tickets. Sat in the Greeen Room chatting to Brandon Flowers, then got a bit bored and were allowed out the front (didn't have side gallery access) and when they got out the front people were convinced they were in fancy dress...

Apparently Elton was the most animated they've ever seen him after the show.....normally quite taciturn apparently but was buzzing after this.

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2023 at 1:39 PM, Radi0Head said:

You’re right it’s not an inflatable Oliver Cromwell being paraded. 

However, I disagree that it does not register. thousands of people saw the red arrows fly past, So I do think it registered.

I feel what we are failing to do is draw the connection between the red arrows doing a fly by and military propaganda. 

Military propaganda? Imperialism?

I think it's a disservice to make such wild (and lazy) statements of a military that, if removed, would signal the end of Britain as you know it. It's not exacly the rebirth of the Empire, is it?

I'll wait for your next comment lathered in buzzwords of jingoism, nationalism, far-right, blah blah blah.

On 7/15/2023 at 9:33 AM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Military propaganda? Imperialism?

I think it's a disservice to make such wild (and lazy) statements of a military that, if removed, would signal the end of Britain as you know it. It's not exacly the rebirth of the Empire, is it?

I'll wait for your next comment lathered in buzzwords of jingoism, nationalism, far-right, blah blah blah.

I was not trying to say it was the rebirth of empire. 

I feel as though the red arrows are an element of imperialism and military propaganda and therefore I feel we should not have them at a festival which promotes peace.

why do you think I should not use those words? Why do you think such statements are lazy and wild? 

In my tent having just 5 minutes prior found my missing car key (had been handed in to the security hut at Worthy View) after 48 hours of stress and approx 1 hour after being quoted £600 to replace the missing key by AA! 

A euphoric moment for sure! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

I was not trying to say it was the rebirth of empire. 

I feel as though the red arrows are an element of imperialism and military propaganda and therefore I feel we should not have them at a festival which promotes peace.

why do you think I should not use those words? Why do you think such statements are lazy and wild? 

I mean, can't some things just be nice things to be enjoyed without them having a sinister meaning? 

Pretty sure you can be for peace and also think jets flying in formation is quite cool. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gashead86 said:

In my tent having just 5 minutes prior found my missing car key (had been handed in to the security hut at Worthy View) after 48 hours of stress and approx 1 hour after being quoted £600 to replace the missing key by AA! 

A euphoric moment for sure! 

Please use the lockups they are absolutely perfect for storing things like this 

1 hour ago, Gashead86 said:

I mean, can't some things just be nice things to be enjoyed without them having a sinister meaning? 

Pretty sure you can be for peace and also think jets flying in formation is quite cool. 

This is a great point. I agree that having the red arrows fly over on a superficial level was nice. But lots of things are superficially nice until we take a closer look at it. The hotter weather caused by climate change is nice and a military parade might be nice to look at.

I don’t think you can be for peace and think jets flying over is cool. I feel we end our solidarity for a cause when we begin to enjoy the benefits of the thing creating the problem. For example you can’t be a good advocate for abolishing oranges when you love citrus fruits, and you can’t be a good advocate for peace if you enjoy a military display.

• Upvote 1

On 7/12/2023 at 9:44 AM, kalifire said:

I highly doubt they didn't take a specific detour to pass the festival, and they would have had to liaise with festival control about it beforehand, presumably.

Footage here:

Cant remember where I read it, but I read that they were basically heading that way but got permission to fly over. 

Was at Jacob Collier and seemed like they were almost directly above the West Holts field, but maybe that was just a perspective thing. 

4 hours ago, Radi0Head said:

I feel we end our solidarity for a cause when we begin to enjoy the benefits of the thing creating the problem.

The festival has climate change videos playing all day on the main stages between acts whilst helicopters ferry in the rich and the famous to play a few songs for our enjoyment. If the festival were to have solidarity for this cause then it should cancel itself. 

2 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

Cant remember where I read it, but I read that they were basically heading that way but got permission to fly over. 

Was at Jacob Collier and seemed like they were almost directly above the West Holts field, but maybe that was just a perspective thing. 

Permission from who?

On 7/12/2023 at 10:42 PM, kalifire said:

From what I’ve heard that was almost certainly him. As soon as he left the stage he made a beeline for a helicopter and was back in his mansion before most of us had escaped the shuffle away from the Pyramid field. 

May well be one of those grape vine rumours that tend to spread at large events and prove to be BS.. But was told the chopper taking off to the right hand side of the stage about 25 mins after his set was definitely him.

We sat down on the grass exactly where we stood for Elton after he finished to let the crowds pass and saw said chopper go up.. We did think at the time it was probably him. 

Also told that it was tracked on one of those flight tracker apps and he was back home within 20 mins or something ridiculous. 

How the other half live eh?! 

6 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Please use the lockups they are absolutely perfect for storing things like this 

Funnily enough (did not see the funny side at the time!!) we had actually used the lockup for the first time on the Wednesday evening. .. Not for our car key though. 
Thanks to the fantastic community on here, a very helpful poster recommended we use the lockup on Pennard Hill to store our trolley (used in the day to transport our toddler around the site) in every night to save us carting it up and down the dreaded Worthy View hill! 
So yes, we did use the lockup there and the staff in that one were fantastic! As to were the lost property staff when we went up to that tent above Big Ground on the Saturday. 
I could not get my head around the size of the operation up in the lost property tent! It was phenomenal to see the systems and  structure they had in place. Whilst our key was not there (Very helpful security guard at Worthy View decided not to send our key down to the main lost property tent as I am told is protocol but instead kept it in the security cabin for 4 days!), we did see several ecstatic people being reunited with wallets, keys, sun glasses etc. 

I have rambled here a bit I know, but having had the rather horrible experience of losing something so important at the festival it was actually very interesting seeing more if the infrastructure of the place.. Behind the curtain to a certain extent and just a reminder how mind boggling the whole thing is! 

• Like 1