Fred again?? Next year?

Claire0406

Finally catching his set on iplayer 

WTAF - I don't get the hype at all. 

I reckon our son was doing similar knob twiddling in his home studio when a young teenager....... 25 years ago. 

He's certainly no Fatboy / Orbital / Chemical Brother. 

Sure, he's very very popular and will probably headline Other (jeez, I hope not the Pyramid) in a couple of festivals time. 

But, ticket willing, I'll be elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, airwaves said:

I don't think its fair to compare 3 acts who have each had 30+ year careers of output & live shows with someone who has 10x less for his own material that got big during lockdown through live streams.

12 minutes ago, airwaves said:

I reckon our son was doing similar knob twiddling in his home studio when a young teenager....... 25 years ago. 

Anyone can say that. Prove it. 😄

Edited by FrogLobster

5 hours ago, Isaact said:

Bicep also tainted by the fact that they play absolutely everywhere, all the time.

Think they did three day festivals in London that summer (excluding all the club nights and arenas they did too), the gig didn't feel special at all.

You could say this about Fred Again also though. Three gigs at Brixton Academy in December, three gigs with Skrillex and Four Tet in early Jan and now doing four nights at Alexandra Palace in September. 

11 hours ago, airwaves said:

Finally catching his set on iplayer 

WTAF - I don't get the hype at all. 

Sure, he's very very popular and will probably headline Other (jeez, I hope not the Pyramid) in a couple of festivals time. 

But, ticket willing, I'll be elsewhere. 

I guess Fred wont please the Glade crowd one bit ie anyone who doesnt listen to electronic music made after 1996. Chems, Orbital etc all twiddle knobs but since their sound is so "old" it works for you. Just wait when he releases an album that maybe sounds like something familiar and youll be fawning over it.

Times change, sounds change, get over it. The old guard is soon to be gone and ya'll will have to accept whats out there. Are they gonna keep trotting out The Chems til theyre in their 70's just to keep anyone new from even having a chance? Even they would prob step aside for there to be progress.

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I guess Fred wont please the Glade crowd one bit ie anyone who doesnt listen to electronic music made after 1996. Chems, Orbital etc all twiddle knobs but since their sound is so "old" it works for you. Just wait when he releases an album that maybe sounds like something familiar and youll be fawning over it.

Times change, sounds change, get over it. The old guard is soon to be gone and ya'll will have to accept whats out there. Are they gonna keep trotting out The Chems til theyre in their 70's just to keep anyone new from even having a chance? Even they would prob step aside for there to be progress.

Why are Americans so defensive over everything. 

Another shocker…. Some people like things and others don’t!

Have to say it’s one of my biggest disappointments of the weekend that I didn’t try and get down the front for Fred, looked a great atmosphere whereas I was on the edge where as always it’s more muted

7 minutes ago, sisco said:

Have to say it’s one of my biggest disappointments of the weekend that I didn’t try and get down the front for Fred, looked a great atmosphere whereas I was on the edge where as always it’s more muted

Yeah same, we made it over from Foos pretty quick but lost 2 of our crew in the process, by the time they'd caught up we couldn't get close enough. 

Was a great set, enjoyed it, but it wasn't the life affirming moment a lot seem to have had!

15 minutes ago, sisco said:

Exactly this. I didn't really see anything in the gap. I was like do I see royal blood again, do I see Fred. Ultimately my feet and the heat just said stop and sit down for a bit. Little annoying that was only Friday evening but it was 6 proper days in for me by then. It was like I'd done the festival then needed to again lol. 

7 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Yeah same, we made it over from Foos pretty quick but lost 2 of our crew in the process, by the time they'd caught up we couldn't get close enough. 

Was a great set, enjoyed it, but it wasn't the life affirming moment a lot seem to have had!

That's probably the difference of it being one to see though and the one show you can't miss. 

On 7/12/2023 at 6:33 PM, airwaves said:

I've watched Fatboy's Park set on iplayer too - really enjoyed it and would watch live, as i did in 2005 when he headlined Other

I was front row for that! Got the glasses and everything. 

I was 4th’ish row for FA, he was better. 

I chose Young Fathers over FA. Not sure how I feel about the decision. I'm glad I caught YF but watching back the FA set on iPlayer I think I might have enjoyed it more. 

Not my biggest ever clash regret but annoying. 

On 7/12/2023 at 8:14 PM, gordong said:

You could say this about Fred Again also though. Three gigs at Brixton Academy in December, three gigs with Skrillex and Four Tet in early Jan and now doing four nights at Alexandra Palace in September. 

Go and buy a ticket then....

Those skrillex/four tet shows has a combined capacity of well under 10k

Bicep are everywhere and easy to see - fred has done some shows (15k at brixton and a bit with skrillex + parklife), nothing in comparison.

Even with the ally pally shows (which sold out instantly and were hard for most to get tickets for) he's still someone not everybody has seen yet

Hardly anyone at the Glasto set will have seen him before, I reckon not even 20-30%

On 7/18/2023 at 8:12 PM, gfa said:

Go and buy a ticket then....

Those skrillex/four tet shows has a combined capacity of well under 10k

Bicep are everywhere and easy to see - fred has done some shows (15k at brixton and a bit with skrillex + parklife), nothing in comparison.

Even with the ally pally shows (which sold out instantly and were hard for most to get tickets for) he's still someone not everybody has seen yet

Hardly anyone at the Glasto set will have seen him before, I reckon not even 20-30%

I specifically made sure we were at that set, and close to the front, for this very reason... Can't see us getting tickets to one of his shows for a while yet, until the hype dies down a bit. (If it dies down any time soon that is.) 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Anyone go last night? 

Yep, was a great show. Impressive lighting rig (possibly borrowed from Broadwick, looked very Printworks!) and a great performance. Left out some big hitters, but I think he's trying to do a different show every night, so that's presumably done with that in mind.

Considering how enthusiastic the Monday night crowd was, can only imagine how much of party it will be on Friday!

• Like 1