Worthyview / sticklinch 2023

buttonmonster

Sticklinch having only one shower block for the men, but two for the women, meant the men's queue rarely got below 45 minutes Friday through to Sunday.

The women's generally cleared by 11am and they could just walk straight in.

One day they had to swap the changing rooms as the men's queue was very long and the women's was empty.

Just pay for a second shower block for the men!

Also, there was only wardens on the showers for the first two days, and they were able to make sure the showers flowed quicker (eg. stopping people going into the shower clothed which massively added to waiting times). No one on there from Friday onwards, and the system reverted and led to much longer waits.

Sounded to me like most non-security staff were only brought in for Wednesday and Thursday, plus a few on Monday morning.

The toilet block completely breaking down on Friday (I think) morning and being out of action for hours was not a good situation either.

But our Yurt was fantastic and I'd be booking again. Ha.

Yes the men's shower situation was crazy.  I heard that when they swapped them round the women had to wait for the last guy to emerge - he'd been in the shower for 25 minutes apparently 🤣 

The staff working the toilets were brilliant and even though the queues looked bad they moved quickly.

Although it seemed very far out we weren't actually that much further than some of the general camping.

Best part was the convenience of the car parking, easy in and easy out.  And of course the guys helping with their wheelbarrows and showing you around were an added bonus.  

I really enjoyed it, spent the mornings chilling outside the tent chatting with neighbours.   

I’ve stayed in both. Worthy View few years ago, Sticklinch first time this year. 

Pretty similar I thought in terms of amenities. 

The walk back to SL though felt so far. I dreaded walking back at the end of each night. I know WV has the hill of death, but I do think it’s quicker than going the walk back to SL. Steep & shorter versus flat & longer. 

In saying this, when leaving I used a different path which led to Silver Hayes. Rather than going by the Co-op. It seemed quicker. Suppose it all depends on where you will be spending your time mainly on site. But SL to Arcadia via the Co-op felt long to me. 

The arcadia one way was a bit of a pain getting to Sticklinch, especially when a steward sends people to the park to go around... In terms of value for money, it's really a fine line between these and general. If they increase the prices as much as they did this year it definitely would make me reconsider next year. 

First year in Sticklinch in a Bell Tent and agree completely with what’s been said. Compared to Worthy View it feels miles away and the walk is boring zig zagging through campsites. At least at WV you’re down into the site within a few minutes.

People call it glamping but it’s really not, the bell tents are basic and quite scruffy/dirty. I’ve had far better setups when I’ve been in normal camping.  I’m not physically capable of hauling my stuff across site anymore so it’s the only option I have but if it keeps going up in price the way it has been I’ll likely have to stop going altogether.

I don’t use the showers and the queue for the toilets means I just wait until I’m in the festival.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Clouds said:

People call it glamping but it’s really not, the bell tents are basic and quite scruffy/dirty. I’ve had far better setups when I’ve been in normal camping.

Very true! Unless you book something for double the amount of people staying, you won't get the equivalent of a nice porch to chill at. Maybe more space outside but if raining, not so much. 

People are not necessarily better behaved... I saw a guy pee against the fence (although the urinals were about 3 mn walk). Then the morning after tons of people bringing their mat at that same spot because it was in the shade. I believe there was a poo incident in the men's shower too. 😨

Did Sticklinch both last year and this year - with kids aged 14 and 9.

For me, it removes probably the 3 things I like least about the Glastonbury experience:

1. Having to lug all your stuff for 40mins before even getting to the gate, then for however long afterwards - and back again.  At Sticklinch you park in the next field, so its 5-10 mins max from car to tent.

2. Having to do all of that in a massive bunfight at the crack of dawn on Wednesday (both from a traffic and queue-to-get-in perspective), if you want a decent spot.  We left home at lunchtime on Wednesday knowing that a spot was waiting for us, and breezed in a few hours later with no queues at all.

3. Doing all of the above, then waking up on Friday morning to find somebody has arrived in the night and pitched their tent right outside your front door.

Tents are a decent size (our 4-person bell tent could fit 4 inflatable mattresses in one half of the tent, leaving the other half free for stuff and whatever else).  And if you do the full 5 nights, that cost about £180/night - or £45 per person per night.

As others have said, the queues for toilets and showers (and breakfast) were annoying, and didn't seem like a "premium" experience from the queue perspective at least.  I think its also quite a bit more basic than glamping at other festivals.

I'm not sure I'm going back to regular camping, having done this - despite the pitfalls.

12 minutes ago, goonerben said:

Did Sticklinch both last year and this year - with kids aged 14 and 9.

For me, it removes probably the 3 things I like least about the Glastonbury experience:

1. Having to lug all your stuff for 40mins before even getting to the gate, then for however long afterwards - and back again.  At Sticklinch you park in the next field, so its 5-10 mins max from car to tent.

2. Having to do all of that in a massive bunfight at the crack of dawn on Wednesday (both from a traffic and queue-to-get-in perspective), if you want a decent spot.  We left home at lunchtime on Wednesday knowing that a spot was waiting for us, and breezed in a few hours later with no queues at all.

3. Doing all of the above, then waking up on Friday morning to find somebody has arrived in the night and pitched their tent right outside your front door.

Tents are a decent size (our 4-person bell tent could fit 4 inflatable mattresses in one half of the tent, leaving the other half free for stuff and whatever else).  And if you do the full 5 nights, that cost about £180/night - or £45 per person per night.

As others have said, the queues for toilets and showers (and breakfast) were annoying, and didn't seem like a "premium" experience from the queue perspective at least.  I think its also quite a bit more basic than glamping at other festivals.

I'm not sure I'm going back to regular camping, having done this - despite the pitfalls.

Yes that sums it up well.

Parking in the next field and being able to rock up any time are the main plusses.

If I was coming on the coach it wouldn't be worth it.  Might as well camp in Darble.

And yes it's not a glamping experience.  For that, go to Glastotel or Love Fields (and pay even more).

Sort of related: this year the girlfriend and I did Love Fields 'pitch your own' (2019 we did the full yurt thing there). 

• Drive in and park next to your pitch, pitch tent and then move car to car park (literally 2 mins away)
  • loads of water points, showers and toilets (apparently there were sometimes small queues for showers, but I was never awake at the busy times - by 11-12 they were empty)
  • <10 minute walk to Gate C

It was £750 and you don't get access to some of the fancy bar for the full glamping people nor is breakfast included. But there is a bar you can use and a couple of food places (I never tried any of those so can't comment, didn't check prices either).

I appreciate this isn't cheap and you still have to pitch your own tent. But not having to carry stuff for miles (my old back is ruined) and it's proximity to gate C, means I'd definitely do it again. I best get saving up (and get an event ticket also obv) for next year. 

2 hours ago, Tom White said:

Sort of related: this year the girlfriend and I did Love Fields 'pitch your own' (2019 we did the full yurt thing there). 

• Drive in and park next to your pitch, pitch tent and then move car to car park (literally 2 mins away)
  • loads of water points, showers and toilets (apparently there were sometimes small queues for showers, but I was never awake at the busy times - by 11-12 they were empty)
  • <10 minute walk to Gate C

It was £750 and you don't get access to some of the fancy bar for the full glamping people nor is breakfast included. But there is a bar you can use and a couple of food places (I never tried any of those so can't comment, didn't check prices either).

I appreciate this isn't cheap and you still have to pitch your own tent. But not having to carry stuff for miles (my old back is ruined) and it's proximity to gate C, means I'd definitely do it again. I best get saving up (and get an event ticket also obv) for next year. 

How big do you reckon your tent could go for the £750 four man?  We were in the bell tents in the field next to the extrance. It was expensive for what you got £750 for just carpet on the floor. No hooks to hang coats. The toikets and showers hardly got cleaned. I doubt those in the 10 grand tents would say the same thing😃 Location cant be bea5 but its a massive money maker.

3 minutes ago, angelin said:

How big do you reckon your tent could go for the £750 four man?  We were in the bell tents in the field next to the extrance. It was expensive for what you got £750 for just carpet on the floor. No hooks to hang coats. The toikets and showers hardly got cleaned. I doubt those in the 10 grand tents would say the same thing😃 Location cant be bea5 but its a massive money maker.

You could definitely get a 4 man tent in. In fact ours was (albeit a small one). People around us had much bigger tents. I think there's a few 'pitch your own' pitch size options. Ours was 6m x 6m. 

I've stayed in both, and for me the major selling point is the day one experience. Not having to stress about arriving early and queuing for ages really does get the festival off to a good start. 

I've done the bell tents in WV and whilst they are meant for 4 I reckon you could get another one or two in, very roomy indeed. Did the Tipi in SL last year, still plenty of room, but it's better set your sleeping bag/camping just in from the side as the side of the tent did annoy me when getting up! 

As for location. With SL I did like basically being right next to Bailey's or Back House I can't remember which, you felt closer to the festival. Although it is still a trek back to the campsite from the north side of the festival. 
With WV yes there is the hill, but in the morning you down to the railway track fairly quickly. We were in the bell tents which were furthest from the entrance to the festival so you did feel a bit remote. If you were in the two person canvas tents near food and festival area I reckon you are on to a winner.

I'd recommend either, the lack of first day hassle really is a godsend. It's not the same as being inside the fence though and imo you lose a little bit of the atmosphere if you spend too long in camp. 

I’ve stayed in WV 2014-2019 but defected to Sticklinch last year and this because of the dreaded climb home. On balance despite the lovely meander into site through the green fields etc from WV i’d stick with Sticklinch for the flat walk alone. Very easy first and last day to the festival and frankly would pay just to park near a tent.  This year the showers there definitely had longer queues. They need some organisation and a separate changing area. Could also do with more composts and more water points. I think people would pay extra for this. We had an Octopad for 5, roomy but both the floor and bed squeaked with every movement. Super hot but we could roll the sides up a bit. Might consider alternative off sites if lucky enough to get tickets in 24. 

PS no O2 signal at all there despite being fine last year 

I done Sticklinch last year and this year. This year seemed busier (not sure if more tents/accomm was available), as the queues for the showers and toilets seemed double what they were last year. No idea why the mens showers were reduced, we waited an hour Friday and Saturday morning for a shower, which when I'm paying £225 for the stay I don't expect to be queuing for so long. I appreciate there will always be a queue, but last year we seemed to wait no longer than 20 minutes each morning for a shower which was perfectly fine. The last two years have had nice weather too, so I think it will get testing in a poorer year weather wise as standing for an hour isn't sustainable in heavy rain. The lack of facilities just doesn't make sense for the price you pay either, and I think that they could really do with splitting up some basic coffee/food stalls around the site as per the colour code of the camping (I think there were 5 or 6 colour codes for where you check in at, so having your own showers/toilets/food vendors per colour would make a lot more sense). Again, last year I'd queue for a coffee first thing, but did so Friday morning this year and waited 30 minutes just for a coffee. The walk back of a night was hellish also, as it genuinely put me off going to the SE corner as it's a 45 minute walk back from there, which led to me only going to Block 9 once and then never again after Thursday night as I couldn't face the walk back from there. The pros are great, as in not having to worry about a camping space/carry tents/car park easily accessible meaning quick trips in and out and the ability to leave extra beer/spirits and other bits there to take out each day if need be, but for the money it costs I definitely think it needs additional facilities across the whole of sticklinch (not just where things currently are) to improve it a lot. I can imagine the costs go up again next year, and I'm not sure I can suffice paying £250+ for what we got this year. 

If I had to choose between SL and WV, I'd choose WV though for sure unless anyone struggles with steep hills!

Did anyone here stay in one of the 4 man bunkpods (I think they were called that). I was working near them and they seemed pretty cosy for 4 adults. Probably better for a family with smaller kids. Saying that, a dad in one had clearly had enough of being in the same small space as his kids as he kept coming out for a chat

2 hours ago, StevieGed said:

I done Sticklinch last year and this year. This year seemed busier (not sure if more tents/accomm was available), as the queues for the showers and toilets seemed double what they were last year. No idea why the mens showers were reduced, we waited an hour Friday and Saturday morning for a shower, which when I'm paying £225 for the stay I don't expect to be queuing for so long. I appreciate there will always be a queue, but last year we seemed to wait no longer than 20 minutes each morning for a shower which was perfectly fine. The last two years have had nice weather too, so I think it will get testing in a poorer year weather wise as standing for an hour isn't sustainable in heavy rain. The lack of facilities just doesn't make sense for the price you pay either, and I think that they could really do with splitting up some basic coffee/food stalls around the site as per the colour code of the camping (I think there were 5 or 6 colour codes for where you check in at, so having your own showers/toilets/food vendors per colour would make a lot more sense). Again, last year I'd queue for a coffee first thing, but did so Friday morning this year and waited 30 minutes just for a coffee. The walk back of a night was hellish also, as it genuinely put me off going to the SE corner as it's a 45 minute walk back from there, which led to me only going to Block 9 once and then never again after Thursday night as I couldn't face the walk back from there. The pros are great, as in not having to worry about a camping space/carry tents/car park easily accessible meaning quick trips in and out and the ability to leave extra beer/spirits and other bits there to take out each day if need be, but for the money it costs I definitely think it needs additional facilities across the whole of sticklinch (not just where things currently are) to improve it a lot. I can imagine the costs go up again next year, and I'm not sure I can suffice paying £250+ for what we got this year. 

If I had to choose between SL and WV, I'd choose WV though for sure unless anyone struggles with steep hills!

I queued an hour for a shower last year. Seemed the same to me. 

They didn't reduce the men's showers this year though, they added a second women's. Was 1 each last year. 

First time in WV this year and after last year’s car horror show (I was in the Tipi Village and was parked in E2 - yikes - then got caught up in the 6 hour hold up getting cars out through those fields on Monday), it was almost laughable how easy it was. Arrived at 9.30am Wednesday, was parked about 10 yards from the gate, no queue for a wristband, and was able to do two trips to the car, then have the air beds and flagpoles set up in both tents and ready to explore the fest by 10.45.

You do feel remote from the fest, in a weird intangible way as well as the actual distance, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing in that it is much quieter and restful when you do want to get your head down. 

Stayed at WV again. 👍 for the improvements to the path. Getting up the hill is pretty quick tbf. The drag up to Strummerville is worse. Another 👍 for the female showers. Didn’t have to Q more than 20 mins at peak times and they’re now open 24/7. Final 👍 to the staff who were all very friendly. No issues getting out of car park on Monday morning either.