The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

Sooo Somersetians... Has it been as dry there the last few days as it has here? 

No Rain forecast for the next 2 weeks either... Hoping this helps groundwater levels go down a little before we get some more proper frosts. 

3 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Sooo Somersetians... Has it been as dry there the last few days as it has here? 

No Rain forecast for the next 2 weeks either... Hoping this helps groundwater levels go down a little before we get some more proper frosts. 

Still lots of localised flooding and some serious surface water round our way but that's nothing really out of the ordinary here for this time of year. Nothing to worry about for June, at least! One dry weekend won't do anything to reduce the levels but it looks like a few nicer days ahead, so it'll be nice to be able to get outside again

OK the time has come for some charts…. And before anyone says it’s TOO EARLY, these charts proved 100% correct for each month last year.  They predicted that every month last year would be warmer than average, and indeed they were…

These charts are a combination of all the major seasonal models around the world, taking an average of all their predictions.  They’re forecasting a significantly warmer than average June across the whole of Europe:

IMG_4221.thumb.png.45cce0f0a6f25353025b4f5cd2ed5976.png

But rainfall is predicted to be average across the month (rainfall at Glastonbury ‘23 was “average”).  So it might be dry or it might chuck it down 🙂 :

IMG_4222.thumb.png.34e32a30e3608bf74a991295008b1ac0.png

39 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

OK the time has come for some charts…. And before anyone says it’s TOO EARLY, these charts proved 100% correct for each month last year.  They predicted that every month last year would be warmer than average, and indeed they were…

These charts are a combination of all the major seasonal models around the world, taking an average of all their predictions.  They’re forecasting a significantly warmer than average June across the whole of Europe:

IMG_4221.thumb.png.45cce0f0a6f25353025b4f5cd2ed5976.png

But rainfall is predicted to be average across the month (rainfall at Glastonbury ‘23 was “average”).  So it might be dry or it might chuck it down 🙂 :

IMG_4222.thumb.png.34e32a30e3608bf74a991295008b1ac0.png

That doesn't exactly bode well for Europe having an easier wildfire season than the last few years, and those have been intense as is.

8 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Will never understand all the people calling for "scorchers"

The ideal festival weather is about 21 degrees, light cloud and light rain/drizzle between about 7am and 10am

I don’t think many / anyone calls for scorchers . My ideal is a bit warmer 26 ish though and any light dust dampening rain similar to when you say . Always sounds much worse lying in a tent listening to it than when you emerge though 

10 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The ideal festival weather is about 21 degrees, light cloud and light rain/drizzle between about 7am and 10am

Did Rock Wertcher back in 2019 when it was pretty much 30 degrees all weekend, I usually cope with sun/heat pretty well but even I found it a tough slog. Low 20s with some cloud for rest bite is perfect conditions imo.

19 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I'd happily take a scorcher over the rain and mud we're gonna get this year! 

I prefer to come home with a suntan instead of trench foot. 

(sorry for the negativity, but we are way overdue a rainy one and partying on borrowed time!)

Just now, stuie said:

(sorry for the negativity, but we are way overdue a rainy one and partying on borrowed time!)

I've had the same fear for a while now.

As you say we're long overdue a mud bath.

19 minutes ago, stuie said:

Yep, I hate to get all @The Nalon everyone, but I think we're in for a turbulent one, weather-wise. It's well overdue. 

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

17 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yep, I hate to get all @The Nalon everyone, but I think we're in for a turbulent one, weather-wise. It's well overdue. 

I mean we're getting to the point where it's going to have to be scientifically proven to me that the Worthy Farm weather shield doesn't exist because we've now had 4 festivals where wellies haven't been required.