Disposable vapes ban

Euphoricape

2 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Just noticed that disposable vapes are on the list of things not to bring to the festival.

Is this a total ban or just advisory? Struggling to see how they could enforce it given how popular they are currently.

Advisory.

• Thanks 1

Well done Glastonbury... Sorry, but anybody that uses a disposable vape needs to have a long hard think about what they're doing.

I vape, lets get that clear from the start...

But those disposables are a disgusting invention. Not only do they mean loads more single use plastic, but worse, they're a waste of perfectly good lithium, a valuable resource that we're going to need to utilise more and more to get us out of the climate mess.

There are perfectly good reusable batteries, tanks and atomisers on the market. They work so much better than those crappy disposables, so why on earth would anybody choose the worst option, cause more environmental damage, and pay more for the privilege. It makes no sense whatsoever. The only reason I can come up with is convenience and laziness. 

Hopefully they've banned the traders from selling them too, and those traders will now stock reusables like spare batteries, tanks and bottles of liquid. 🤞

• Like 6
  • Upvote 21

11 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Well done Glastonbury... Sorry, but anybody that uses a disposable vape needs to have a long hard think about what they're doing.

But those disposables are a disgusting invention. Not only do they mean loads more single use plastic, but worse, they're a waste of perfectly good lithium, a valuable resource that we're going to need to utilise more and more to get us out of the climate mess.

There are perfectly good reusable batteries, tanks and atomisers on the market. They work so much better than those crappy disposables, so why on earth would anybody choose the worst option, cause more environmental damage, and pay more for the privilege. It makes no sense whatsoever. The only reason I can come up with is convenience and laziness. 

Hopefully they've banned the traders from selling them too, and those traders will now stock reusables like spare batteries, tanks and bottles of liquid. 🤞

This, all of this!

I vape too, and my first reusable vape and couple of bottles of liquid cost me less than half a dozen disposables, for exactly the same amount of vaping. Now it costs me £5 for a 100ml bottle (the same as 50 x 2ml disposables!), a couple of quid for Nic shots and a tenner for a box of coils that will outlast the bottle, so £17 for the equivalent of 50 disposables which would have cost £250 at a fiver a pop. Madness!

Heck even if I go mad and buy a fancy liquid at double/treble the price I'm quids in, and my all singing all dancing upgraded mod still cost less than a couple of weeks worth of disposables. 

Edited by theciderviking
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If anybody wants any tips on getting setup with a decent reliable budget system to get them started and last them a long time to come, here is what I've used for at least 6 years now (although I started that period with the Ipower 1)

------------

Eleaf Ipower 2 - has a 5000mah battery, so can last at least one day between charges, usually 2 or 3 days for a heavy user when new. Light users will get even longer, obviously. And is fully controllable, Variable Wattage Variable Voltage Variable Power. Sub Ohm, Standard, whatever you want. In plain terms, this means you can set the power of the device, and thus the strength of each draw, to your tastes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eleaf-iStick-Power-5000mAh-Mod/dp/B095HKCR9D/ref=sr_1_2?crid=WTBN07JZ4Z6P&keywords=eleaf+istick+power+2&qid=1686177612&sprefix=eleaf+istick+power+2%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-2

-------------

Simple Aspire BVC Clearomiser, chosen mostly because the replacement atomisers for them are available in almost any garage and supermarket under the Mv (MultiVape) brand name. But also, they're glass, so certain flavours won't leach harmful chemicals into your liquid. (You will need an ego / 510 adapter for these, see below) 

Lots of people will suggest bigger fancier tanks, and I've tried the lot, but always come back to this. It's reliable as can be, consistently good, and available everywhere (under the Mv brand or the Aspire brand.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aspire-GLASS-Clearomiser-Bottom-Vertical/dp/B00O6TR9VY/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=multivape&qid=1686177525&sr=8-4

--------------

Ego / 510 adapter for above tank and battery combination.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vapesoon-Adapter-Thread-Nicotine-Liquid/dp/B07B4BMCQK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3OE9DZ3CE52AH&keywords=ego+510+adapter&qid=1686177941&s=drugstore&sprefix=ego+510+adapter%2Cdrugstore%2C150&sr=1-4

---------------

Spare coils / atomisers for the Clearomiser. These will last you at least 2 to 3 months, these atomisers last longer than most others on the market, but that is very much down to what you put in them, and how you use them. (These are 1.8 Ohm, as I don't sub ohm, but if you wanted to sub ohm, and chase the clouds, you can get them in varying resistances.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/aspire-1-8ohm-atomiser-Stealth-Starter/dp/B07PFHZYWX/ref=d_pd_vtp_sccl_2_1/257-9132679-1520066?pd_rd_w=1TfpL&content-id=amzn1.sym.efbe2987-d931-49ca-8bec-ada238e46a4c&pf_rd_p=efbe2987-d931-49ca-8bec-ada238e46a4c&pf_rd_r=KDRREN2HKKEQQMH1ED1Z&pd_rd_wg=r5FRe&pd_rd_r=ae81f3f4-d089-49c7-a482-9f70aade76ca&pd_rd_i=B07PFHZYWX&psc=1

---------------

This setup may cost £58 to start, but it will last you a couple of years at least. With the only ongoing costs being your spare coils / atomisers every 2 to 3 months (£12.) And liquids, which can range from £2.50 per week, to £10 (or even more) depending on your own personal choices... I buy boxes of 5 x 10ml (50ml total) Edge Pro liquids from bookers for £3.99 that last me around 10 - 15 days per box. 

So say £2.50 per week for liquid and (being generous) £2 a week on coils / atomisers... £4.50 per week once setup!!!! 

Edited by Alvoram

2 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Could you recommend a decent alternative? Don't want to buy some dodgy junk off Amazon. 

ffs should have scrolled down. Thanks for the advice. 

Edited by thatTFBguy
I'm a moron

8 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

Could you recommend a decent alternative? Don't want to buy some dodgy junk off Amazon. 

ffs should have scrolled down. Thanks for the advice. 

No worries... For the replacement coils / atomisers, I briefly mentioned my resistance as being over 1 ohm... I don't particularly like big clouds of vape since I vape at work stealthily, and I inhale my vapor to the lungs like I would a cigarette, so I don't 'sub ohm.' I use 1.2 - 1.8 Ohms, and set the device to 10 watts in variable wattage mode. 

If you really want big rich clouds of vapor you'll want something below 1 ohm, so 0.8, 0.6 or something similar. And then you'll have to set your wattage considerably higher. If you do go this route, expect to burn through battery, Liquids, and coils much quicker. As a side note, only certain liquids are suitable for 'sub ohming,' the cheap one I use is not. 

Honestly, I'd start with the 1.6 or 1.8 and see if that's 'enough' for you first, it usually is. And if you do decide to dive in, and need any help with anything, give me a shout in PM. Also there's a forum called 'all about e cigarettes' which is a UK based forum, some serious hobbyists who know everything there is to know, (I was one of them up until around a decade ago.) 

• Upvote 1

I found disposables incredibly convenient for festivals and holidays, anywhere I didn't want to take my usual cloud buster to really.  Was going to do the same for Glastonbury but this has made me think about it and I've just bought a smaller kit for MTL.  Might still shove a disposable in my pocket for battery management failures though.  Well done Glastonbury for highlighting the issue, we all know they are bad.

I’ve never smoked or vaped but my wife does and when she switched from vaping to smoking initially she was 100% on a refillable. Over the past about a year it’s probably swung 90% towards the disposables which while I’m not over the moon with, I’d rather that than cigarettes and I’m not gonna tell her what to do.

She, and I’d expect just about everyone who uses disposable vapes will be aware of the single use plastic and the cost effectiveness of it. I think they have their place as a back up, but if you’re using them at home I don’t get it.

48 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

the thinking may be that disposable vapes have been linked to a huge increase in fires at recycling facilities. Lithium battery fires can't be easily put out, they probably would appreciate their recycling shed not being burnt down.

Disposable means people put them in bins.

Agreed, this is the biggest issue. It's envionmentally awful that all the plastic and batteries are being binned, but the bigger issue is that the batteries are prone to self ignighting when crushed or punctured and being lithium based, are very hard to put out, so even a tiny battery can flare up hot enough to set fire to anything it's next to, i.e. a load of plastic in a rubbish compactor, or the back of a bin lorry etc.

In an ideal utopian world, people would keep the empty ones, take them home, and dispose of them properly at recycling points, but well, you know.

5 minutes ago, worthyraver said:

Any recommendations for vaping THC juice, asking for a friend 😉 

download.jpg.b078f59d5f9cf33cac45af97ff4c4c2a.jpg
No Seriously, I don't know, can't imagine you 'need' different equipment, but I don't know for sure, if I wanted THC I'd skin up. 😉 

Edited by Alvoram
  • Upvote 1

Never rolled one in my life, in fact someone tried to teach me recently when I was shroomed up, I mean someone tried to teach my friend recently when they were shroomed-up, to be fair I (they)  did a better job than the teacher, however said teacher was were really really shroomed-up.

I think my cover is blown

8 minutes ago, worthyraver said:

Any recommendations for vaping THC juice, asking for a friend 😉 

Actually, that reminds me... Anybody remember the original vape??? Had one of these in either the late 90s or very early 00s... They were called 'Herb Vaporizers.'

images.jpg.26f9a425513af6e5ce3b2b5c54525c09.jpg

Little plate heated up by electricity (mains) and dry burned anything on it. Was dry and rough as hell, a novelty that sadly only got used a few times before sitting on the bedroom shelf for the rest of it's life... But an interesting throwback nonetheless. 

Just now, worthyraver said:

Never rolled one in my life, in fact someone tried to teach me recently when I was shroomed up, I mean someone tried to teach my friend recently when they were shroomed-up, to be fair I (they)  did a better job than the teacher, however said teacher was were really really shroomed-up.

I think my cover is blown

You weren't at that free party with Rich a couple of weeks ago were you? Feel like I've heard this story already... Rich being said teacher who spent an hour with the Rizla the wrong way around wondering why it wasn't working... 

19 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

You weren't at that free party with Rich a couple of weeks ago were you? Feel like I've heard this story already... Rich being said teacher who spent an hour with the Rizla the wrong way around wondering why it wasn't working... 

I was an early adopter of vaping cannabis. Went to a presentation in The Cannabis Museum in Amsterdam by the late 'Eagle Bill' who was a bit of a pioneer and a legend. The one he was demonstrating was called 'the volcano' which was far better than the 'blue meanie' in your picture above as it actually blows the heated air through the weed/resin, rather than just scorch it on a hot plate.  Using his instructions, I built an amazing vapouriser using a heat gun and a demijohn(!). 

But gave up smoking dope many years ago, and would genuinely prefer people to die of cancer than go round dropping little plastic devices with Toxic lithium in them on a dairy farm - I picked up a hell of a lot of them last year.

• Like 1

If you're looking for something pocket sized and easy to use, I'd strongly recommend the Caliburn G (which I use) as an alternative to disposables.  It costs around £15-20 for the kit, and another £15 for some spare coils and a couple of spare pods.  Is refillable, and works well with little bottles of nic salt juice you can buy at 3 or 4 for a tenner online.  If you are coming from disposables, the RIOT Bar Edtn juices are similar in flavour strength etc.  

If you want even less fuss, you can get something like the Elf Bar Mate - this has a rechargeable battery, any you buy pre-filled disposable pods that click into it - it's still not ideal, but at least you're not throwing a battery away every time.  

2 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

If you're looking for something pocket sized and easy to use, I'd strongly recommend the Caliburn G (which I use) as an alternative to disposables.  It costs around £15-20 for the kit, and another £15 for some spare coils and a couple of spare pods.  Is refillable, and works well with little bottles of nic salt juice you can buy at 3 or 4 for a tenner online.  If you are coming from disposables, the RIOT Bar Edtn juices are similar in flavour strength etc.  

If you want even less fuss, you can get something like the Elf Bar Mate - this has a rechargeable battery, any you buy pre-filled disposable pods that click into it - it's still not ideal, but at least you're not throwing a battery away every time.  

Good tips... I've used something similar in a pinch before, all I could buy was one of these from a garage in Poland.  https://logicvapes.co.uk/

Did the job, wasn't bad. I'd never 'choose' to use these, but they're cheap, really easy, and a better option than disposables... Batteries need charging every few hours though. 😕 

I have a love/hate thing with elfbars.  They are environmentally awful and can't understand why they haven't been banned as the waste is ridiculous - especially as there's few places where you can dispose of them properly and the fields of Glastonbury is the last place you'd want them to be.

But they do hit the spot in a way that I haven't been able to replicate with any vape set up so far which is very very annoying.

Either way, I'll be sticking to my aspire flexus.  Coils last a few weeks, doesn't leak (or at least so far) and the battery is usually good for a day.  it doesn't pump out too much vapour but I'm not a fan of making massive obnoxious clouds anymore.

It'd be tough to enforce but hopefully the advisory will be enough to deter people.