Acoustic Stage

Colorblindjames

26 minutes ago, CR77 said:

I'm not a Beautiful South fan at all, and love Primal Scream... and yet I chose Heaton + Abbot over Primal Scream at John Peel last year just because it seemed like it might actually be more fun - which it was! 

It was a difficult clash for me as PS are one of my favourites but I had tickets to see them in the Glasgow the following weekend so I picked H&A, so glad I did as they were one of my highlights last year. Primal Scream smashed it the next week so I am glad I got to see both.

20 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

i fully intended to go see Marti Pellow but didn't for some reason, cant for the life of me remember what i did instead.

wasn't there some delay and he came on really late for some reason?

Yes!  The Dire Straits thing before him overran by 15 minutes, then they took forever to set up the drums for Marti's set, putting it all back another 15 minutes.  I think originally there was very little overlap between him and Liam, so was hoping to largely do both, but in the end got to Liam for just the last song.  Still made the right choice though!

For me, it's as much about choosing the stage as choosing the act sometimes.  I often prefer the tents as it's more intimate and there's more camaraderie etc!  If Liam/Pellow had been the other way around, I'd have chosen to see Liam in the Acoustic Tent over Marti Pellow on the Pyramid.  Also... Kylie in 2019 was obviously sensational, but I had way more fun watching Bananarama later that day on the Avalon Stage - and that's purely down to the stage.  Pyramid works best for me at night - Macca was perfect there with all the amazing lighting and of course the pyrotechnics for Live and Let Die!

Seen some amazing sets over the years... The Waterboys, Los Lobos, Heaton & Abbot, Richard Thompson, Steve Harley, Quo, Hot Club Of Cowtown, Imelda May, The Men They Couldn't Hang...

My first ever gig by The Frames was at that stage, definitely not acoustic, and the all round best was the great Christy Moore in 2010 when we got a genuine, non setlisted, encore. 

Probably average one act in there per festival, can’t remember being disappointed and agree Art Garfunkel and Bootleg Beatles have been highlights.

Music aside I just think it is a boring stage (despite the good food and drink options) - the Pyramid, Park, West Holts and the SE Corner all add to whatever artist is playing. I wish they’d give it a bit of a Juke Joint vibe not unlike what Bourbon Street had.

4 hours ago, DJL said:

Probably average one act in there per festival, can’t remember being disappointed and agree Art Garfunkel and Bootleg Beatles have been highlights.

Music aside I just think it is a boring stage (despite the good food and drink options) - the Pyramid, Park, West Holts and the SE Corner all add to whatever artist is playing. I wish they’d give it a bit of a Juke Joint vibe not unlike what Bourbon Street had.

Even the name's boring. Not to mention, completely incorrect.

Nothing against the line-ups in there. But, considering the thought/creativity the rest of the festival has, it feels like a bit of a blank page.

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2023 at 8:59 AM, -TLR- said:

i fully intended to go see Marti Pellow but didn't for some reason, cant for the life of me remember what i did instead.

wasn't there some delay and he came on really late for some reason?

(what was really weird about that was i heard Wet Wet Wet on the radio in the evening and i thought to myself how good Marti Pellow's voice was and how it would be cool to see them on the farm - the next day the stage poster was released and there was Marti Pellow's name on it!)

Yes his set was running really late. Can’t remember why but when we turned up for Keane who were on after, we accidentally caught Marti Pellow. And my husband still laughs about the fact that I knew all the words to every song. Not even ever a fan but stored away in my brain there somewhere! Had to leave Keane before the end to get to The Killers though, which was a pain 

Announcement really should come any day now.....??

Thought a bit more about this. Last year my number one set of the entire festival was Roseanne Reid at the Acoustic. Small crowd, but everyone there was super appreciative.  She'll be on tour supporting Steve Earle soon.

And this was amazing: Justin Townes Earle at the Acoustic in 2017.  Last time I saw him before he died.DSCF2841.thumb.jpg.04cdc7293cd58318fe9566cf82b49d82.jpg

I've seen some great acts in there over the years, it's also one of our recovery places when the night before has become a little too much.  A chilled opening act, in a half empty tent, and a little snooze just outside in the shade works wonders.  Follow that up with some Mac and Cheese and one of the real ales, and I'm ready to face the world again

Always at least a couple if acts per year I want to see, in there! 
Not to mention the Ale bar next door (which was a little bit lacking in '22 💁🏻‍♀️)

I'm definitely one of those wander in/wander out kind though. I go for the one act then move on.

14 minutes ago, buddiepaul said:

I remember watching Mike Scott followed by Sharron Shannon in the Acoustic in 1995.  It seemed everyone else was watching Oasis on the Pyramid, but I don't regret it at all, as they were both great.

The year or so  before Sharon Shannon also played in there. Mike Scott wasn’t booked or billed, despite Glastonbury song being in the charts, but bounded up on stage to guest with her and play it. He did the same for Ian McNabb at his set at a very early afternoon outdoor set at, I think, the Pyramid. 

• Like 1