williams green ... carhenge

Crazyfool01

1 minute ago, gazzared said:

Iam just pleased it sounds like they'll be some music there 👍 getting rid of music tents could become more common though if they are struggling to keep within budget. What's happens when they say we can't afford croissant neuf or acoustic, will they just build more structures from left over scrap ? 

Fingers crossed normal service resumed next year … there’s always changes so hopefully some of the less popular changes will see returns once the financials sort themselves . Woodsies won’t though 🙂 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Fingers crossed normal service resumed next year … there’s always changes so hopefully some of the less popular changes will see returns once the financials sort themselves . Woodsies won’t though 🙂 

Looking forward to the woodies music bar tent thing, will the other bar in the woods be back that wasn't there last year ? 

6 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I'd say that with the size of the rebar/concrete foundations they've laid that this won't just be here for 2023.  Think carhenge is likely here for a good few years.

12 hours ago, gazzared said:

Iam just pleased it sounds like they'll be some music there 👍 getting rid of music tents could become more common though if they are struggling to keep within budget. What's happens when they say we can't afford croissant neuf or acoustic, will they just build more structures from left over scrap ? 

Cheer up luv, it's Glastonbury in a month and you've got a ticket 😊

• Upvote 2

With the live music, I get that there's going to be a small stage there and then this other new one up in Woodsies, but are we losing one stage with (for want of a better term) proper acts on and gaining two that have (also for want of a better term) festival fun acts? The thing people liked about William's Green during the day was that there was often something interesting on.

Will keep an open mind though and see how it goes!

1 minute ago, catavento said:

but are we losing one stage with (for want of a better term) proper acts on and gaining two that have (also for want of a better term) festival fun acts? 

What makes you question the stage at woodsies? 

Isn't that primarily name change? 

5 minutes ago, clarkete said:

What makes you question the stage at woodsies? 

Isn't that primarily name change? 

Apparently there's going to be a small stage at the bar too, I'm thinking of that. I got the impression it was new but tbh didn't spend much time in the area when it was the JP so it might not be? 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the line up, it appears there is no obvious replacement WG in terms of music this year then

A huge loss for me.

It was one of the few places at the festival where you could go and see something a bit more cutting edge and leftfield in the alternative space

A little enclave that sort of caters for folk who might enjoy Green Man or EOTR..

Sure you have the Park , West Holts and Woodsies that offer it to a degree, but all three are starting to merge into each other in some ways. 

Williams Green line up was very specifically not like anything else at the festival, and it going effectively feels like Glastonbury saying they are giving up on that particular brand of up and coming, alt bands are artists.

Big shame

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, mr mister said:

Looking at the line up, it appears there is no obvious replacement WG in terms of music this year then

A huge loss for me.

It was one of the few places at the festival where you could go and see something a bit more cutting edge and leftfield in the alternative space

A little enclave that sort of caters for folk who might enjoy Green Man or EOTR..

Sure you have the Park , West Holts and Woodsies that offer it to a degree, but all three are starting to merge into each other in some ways. 

Williams Green line up was very specifically not like anything else at the festival, and it going effectively feels like Glastonbury saying they are giving up on that particular brand of up and coming, alt bands are artists.

Big shame

I don't disagree on the loss of Williams Green, although there do seem to be more smaller bands in a few other places - Strummerville being the obvious, but also Greenpeace and a (seemingly) new stage called The Hive.

11 minutes ago, goonerben said:

I don't disagree on the loss of Williams Green, although there do seem to be more smaller bands in a few other places - Strummerville being the obvious, but also Greenpeace and a (seemingly) new stage called The Hive.

Is the Hive the place The Smile did the Glastonbury online set? It rings a bell for some reason.

the Hive doesn't look like a replacment to me..

I mean, just look at who's played Williams Green recently..

Porridge Radio, Yard Act, Nilifur Yanya, HorseGirl, Jane Weaver, Mannequin Pussy, Amyl & The Sniffers, Black Midi, Fountaines DC, Shame, Jessica Hoop, Sorry.. 

this is in the last two years of the festival alone!

It was the go to for some of the most exciting bands of the moment.. supporting and showcasing them before a few of have inevitably exploded...

Major ball drop by getting rid of IMO. A bit of Glastonbury's edge and creditability going with it.   

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, mr mister said:

the Hive doesn't look like a replacment to me..

I mean, just look at who's played Williams Green recently..

Porridge Radio, Yard Act, Nilifur Yanya, HorseGirl, Jane Weaver, Mannequin Pussy, Amyl & The Sniffers, Black Midi, Fountaines DC, Shame, Jessica Hoop, Sorry.. 

this is in the last two years of the festival alone!

It was the go to for some of the most exciting bands of the moment.. supporting and showcasing them before a few of have inevitably exploded...

Major ball drop by getting rid of IMO. A bit of Glastonbury's edge and creditability going with it.   

theyve got buggar all credibility left if they dont exist .... hopefully Williams Green or something similar makes a return next year when the finances are better . unfortunately they wont ever win when they cut back areas .

23 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

theyve got buggar all credibility left if they dont exist .... hopefully Williams Green or something similar makes a return next year when the finances are better . unfortunately they wont ever win when they cut back areas .

pretty sure Williams Green wouldn't of been the biggest strain on the finances.  dropping a couple of mid level disposable mainstream acts on the main stages, probably pays for the entire WG weekend booking budget, doesn't it?...  making this up as i go, but you get the point.

Not surprised they've had to cut corners, just surprised they've decided to do it in one of the most interesting and exciting areas of the festival in terms of music. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mr mister said:

pretty sure Williams Green wouldn't of been the biggest strain on the finances.  dropping a couple of mid level disposable mainstream acts on the main stages, probably pays for the entire WG weekend booking budget, doesn't it?...  making this up as i go, but you get the point.

Not surprised they've had to cut corners, just surprised they've decided to do it in one of the most interesting and exciting areas of the festival in terms of music.

If you have to make cuts, ultimately no matter where you make then you're going to annoy someone.

Personally I wouldn't have gone for WG either (I'd cut the budget at Silver Hayes first and then also second and third), but can understand that WG was an easy target.

One thing that I suspect may have worked against it was that it was always a "GFL" stage more than anything else, whereas other stages of a similar size have a more distinct identity and established crew. So it's probably easier to absorb people from WG into Pyramid, Other, JP, Park etc crews (if they want to go) than it would be if you got rid of an equivalent chunk of budget from Silver Hayes, Avalon, Shangri La, etc. And politically easier to get rid of "your own" stage rather than go to an area organiser and tell them that a large chunk of what they're doing is no longer wanted.

16 minutes ago, incident said:

Personally I wouldn't have gone for WG either (I'd cut the budget at Silver Hayes first and then also second and third), but can understand that WG was an easy target.

I don't think your a dance music fan, apologies if wrong.

Cutting SH budget would have been lunacy. They would have reduced/got rid of one the late night alternatives to SE corner. What they have done in revamping SH is the correct decision.