williams green ... carhenge

Crazyfool01

I'm personally not too bothered about the late night stuff, just pointing out why removing something that's an alternative to the SE corner is worse than removing something that's basically the same.

I spend most of my days at Williams Green because for my personal taste it always has brilliant bands that I'm getting into. (Scroobius Pip, BC Camplight, The Big Moon, Amyl and the Sniffers, Fontaines DC, Nilufer Yanya, Sinead O'Brien, Yard Act etc. etc.)

It's been a consistently good stage over the years, and for me, there isn't a comparable stage. I always think of it like a mini park, bands that would fit there but maybe aren't big enough/

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

How much do we think the car sculpture and foundations etc. cost?

Is there a huge difference between building that and having music at it to a tent with bands that people want to see?

I’d suggest there is or they wouldn’t have done it 

9 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Because for me, SH and the SE corner are the same thing - and I have absolutely no interest in them.

There is no other late night alternative, something that Williams Green provided in the past.

The Taphouse is a lot of fun.

Just now, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Do we know that cost is the reason, or is that just speculation on here?

Yes they’ve had to save money or the ticket price would have gone up another £50 on top of the increases this year . The cars have been moved from cinemacarmageddon which has now also gone to save money . It’s not like they’ve gone out and purchased anything .. they are repurposing what they had already 

2 minutes ago, briddj said:

Follow the path from the right side of Leftfield towards West Holts. It's on the left.

image.thumb.png.b5cf92a8eda07b26da9515324247eb11.png

thanks! this will be my 5th year and still find myself not knowing what half the bars are called!

While I'm here, where abouts is the village inn? or something like that? 

41 minutes ago, stuie said:

I feel the same as I do when I visit Turner Contemporary or Tate Modern. 

I just don't get it.  I wish I did and I try to, but I don't. 

Upright cars?  Tracey Emin's bed?   What a load of old sh*t. 

I have it on good authority from a bin painter on site that Carhenge 2.0 is looking pretty awesome!

Ben

34 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I'm personally not too bothered about the late night stuff, just pointing out why removing something that's an alternative to the SE corner is worse than removing something that's basically the same.

I spend most of my days at Williams Green because for my personal taste it always has brilliant bands that I'm getting into. (Scroobius Pip, BC Camplight, The Big Moon, Amyl and the Sniffers, Fontaines DC, Nilufer Yanya, Sinead O'Brien, Yard Act etc. etc.)

It's been a consistently good stage over the years, and for me, there isn't a comparable stage. I always think of it like a mini park, bands that would fit there but maybe aren't big enough/

I agree I think its a massive loss. So many people have said WG was one of their favourite areas of the festival so its a real shame to see the tent go.

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I have it on good authority from a bin painter on site that Carhenge 2.0 is looking pretty awesome!

Ben

it absolutely is 🙂 ..... drove past it this time last week and 3 weeks out it looked great .... with plenty more to come 

Just now, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

And, to qualify, I'm as disappointed as anyone on the demise of the WG stage as I spend a lot of time there in the daytime/evening year on year...

However, if they have made the area a lovely place still to be for chilling and food and a break from the mayhem, and there is a new, pretty awesome art installation in there too, then that's good and we should feel grateful that Glastonbury is still looking to do different things to the other big festivals (Boomtown aside, maybe).

Come on team! And no, it's not 1987 anymore and we can all expect not to be allowed to climb on the structure, but shall we just get there first and have a look...?!

🏼

Ben
x

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Yet again I will repeat

There are plenty of late night alternatives. I really can't be bothered going through them. I'm sure there's a topic somewhere on here.

Guilty Pleasures / Ultimate Power has gone from 3 hours every night midnight to 3am to 1 solitary hour on Thursday evening that will be impossible to get in to. Where are the alternatives for that?

Where are bands like The Tubs, Lies, Peace?

21 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I agree I think its a massive loss. So many people have said WG was one of their favourite areas of the festival so its a real shame to see the tent go.

WG was good but my god it was busy. Lineup way too good for the size of the area and often largely unopposed on Thursday. We'd said after 3 years of fighting our way through on Thursday that we would go elsewhere this time. However it appears the WG masses might be following us after all. Stonebridge will be heaving despite the larger tent.

shrug-emoji.gif

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Guilty Pleasures / Ultimate Power has gone from 3 hours every night midnight to 3am to 1 solitary hour on Thursday evening that will be impossible to get in to. Where are the alternatives for that?

Where are bands like The Tubs, Lies, Peace?

14 minutes ago, jow95 said:

WG was good but my god it was busy. Lineup way too good for the size of the area and often largely unopposed on Thursday. We'd said after 3 years of fighting our way through on Thursday that we would go elsewhere this time. However it appears the WG masses might be following us after all. Stonebridge will be heaving despite the larger tent.

Other than the Thursday night secret sets, I never found it unmanageable in, say, the afternoon and evening. Never went there for late night stuff, though, so I guess that might have been more difficult. 

Ben

1 hour ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

How much do we think the car sculpture and foundations etc. cost?

Is there a huge difference between building that and having music at it to a tent with bands that people want to see?

After the first year carhenge will be almost free

1 hour ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

What is the f**king point. 

Goodbye my favourite stage of Glastonbury, replaced by someone's rose tinted memories of a thing was good once about 40 years ago

Agreed, loss of WG is an absolute joke and a stain on this year’s festival as far as i’m concernered

On 5/30/2023 at 5:26 PM, mr mister said:

the Hive doesn't look like a replacment to me..

I mean, just look at who's played Williams Green recently..

Porridge Radio, Yard Act, Nilifur Yanya, HorseGirl, Jane Weaver, Mannequin Pussy, Amyl & The Sniffers, Black Midi, Fountaines DC, Shame, Jessica Hoop, Sorry.. 

this is in the last two years of the festival alone!

It was the go to for some of the most exciting bands of the moment.. supporting and showcasing them before a few of have inevitably exploded...

Major ball drop by getting rid of IMO. A bit of Glastonbury's edge and creditability going with it.   

Brilliant post and sums up my feelings entirely

41 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

And, to qualify, I'm as disappointed as anyone on the demise of the WG stage as I spend a lot of time there in the daytime/evening year on year...

However, if they have made the area a lovely place still to be for chilling and food and a break from the mayhem, and there is a new, pretty awesome art installation in there too, then that's good and we should feel grateful that Glastonbury is still looking to do different things to the other big festivals (Boomtown aside, maybe).

Come on team! And no, it's not 1987 anymore and we can all expect not to be allowed to climb on the structure, but shall we just get there first and have a look...?!

🏼

Ben
x

Well said. 

I did see and enjoy the original, as did most of those there at the time. 

I dunno whether they need to change it for cost, crowd or other reasons but not too fussed - they've done a great job for over fifty years and I'm happy to wait and see. 

One of the great things there can be seeing stuff you don't see anywhere else - especially for an audience of younger festival goers. 

• Upvote 1