The Future of Glastonbury

JayDiesel

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Makes sense, if it's stationary presumably the engine isn't using juice. 

I ran an EV for a few months last year and it’s efficiency works almost opposite to internal combustion engines. Slow stop start traffic is the most efficient. As there is almost no heat loss or friction from the motors, you use more power the faster you go due to the drag. Batteries do drain when left standing though so if you only had 20-25% battery when you park up, it could be flat after 5-6 days. That would be my worry. Plus the heater or A/C really drains it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I ran an EV for a few months last year and it’s efficiency works almost opposite to internal combustion engines. Slow stop start traffic is the most efficient. As there is almost no heat loss or friction from the motors, you use more power the faster you go due to the drag. Batteries do drain when left standing though so if you only had 20-25% battery when you park up, it could be flat after 5-6 days. That would be my worry. Plus the heater or A/C really drains it.

Ah that's worth knowing as I've an EV and car will be parked up for a week on site. Had planned on charging to full in Shepton Mallet on the Monday before heading on site. 

1 minute ago, dondo said:

Ah that's worth knowing as I've an EV and car will be parked up for a week on site. Had planned on charging to full in Shepton Mallet on the Monday before heading on site. 

It’s only a few percent a day really. Largely to keep the computer and security systems onboard powered. Like leaving your telly on standby. Most manufacturers recommend keeping the charge between 20%-80% if you can to keep the batteries healthy. So in an ideal world when you park up you  probably want the battery to be at least 20%, plus 3% for every day parked up, plus whatever you need to get to your next charge, so over 50%. I’m guessing many EV users might not factor that in. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, dondo said:

Give it a year or two and people going flat will probably become a big problem, especially if there is a lot of traffic / mud etc. They will probably have to start giving out info packs or something to help people as charger facilities will always be very limited.

16 hours ago, gfa said:

They will probably have to start giving out info packs or something to help people as charger facilities will always be very limited.

It's complete pie in the sky thinking, but it would be great if GFL made a separate car park for electric vehicles that had solar panels that could trickle charge vehicles over the course of the weekend.  Probably no where near enough to fully charge but certainly enough to prevent batteries from going flat.  Though sadly, I think the cost would price GFL out of being able to implement this.

29 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

It's complete pie in the sky thinking, but it would be great if GFL made a separate car park for electric vehicles that had solar panels that could trickle charge vehicles over the course of the weekend.  Probably no where near enough to fully charge but certainly enough to prevent batteries from going flat.  Though sadly, I think the cost would price GFL out of being able to implement this.

They could use the solar panels to power the local area during the rest of the year... In partnership with an energy supplier maybe?

Largest solar car park in the world opens at famous Dutch music festival | Euronews

it's the Netherlands so not more sun + less space in general than in the UK.

Just now, moogster said:

They could use the solar panels to power the local area during the rest of the year... In partnership with an energy supplier maybe?

Largest solar car park in the world opens at famous Dutch music festival | Euronews

it's the Netherlands so not more sun + less space in general than in the UK.

That would be great.  If the car parks are mainly used for grazing fields outside of the festival, installing solar farms wouldn't massively disrupt things as the land would still be usable for grazing or certain crops.  Plus it'd be an extra income for the farmers.

In its current format, the festival is hugely popular and outstrips demand massively. I think to keep it going strong in the years to come is by

• Not be influenced by sponsorships and money. There's a festival ethos which needs to be maintained. I went to Bestival in 2017/18 and compared to Glastonbury it felt so corporate, so empty. No love.
  • Maintain the BBC coverage. People watch it and get FOMO which makes it this must go event. 
  • Headliners are one thing but I think more importantly is depth of the line ups. Bringing up Bestival again, there was some days where there wasn't much that took my fancy so was a bit bored during the day. Having a deep line up where people have so much choice to the point they have to make sacrifices really adds to it 
  • More secret spaces / random new spaces each year. I feel like the legends of the rabbit hole and piano bar stay strong even if alot of people know where there are. I wanna see people post about this random toilet that leads to a disco room. It can be a one time thing and changed the year after. A bit like how there's a secret act. Conscious that being a secret thing means that it may happen already but im not aware of it.

The festival is always going to sell out for the next decade I see but I dont want to see a Coachella like approach where there's two dates in two different locations, as Glastonbury is the location and that moment in time. Two weekends even if there was demand for it would dilute the experience  

I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

"power banks" for electric cars or swap in/out batteries would obviously be amazing as a future technology development. Probably impossible, but a nice idea

Just need people not to be idiots and rock up with 10% battery to be honest.

I think considering the rush people are in to get a good spot if arriving early, or not miss more than they have to if late then people will definitely be chancing it and running out more than general trips in the country - let alone if theres mud, queues, car  accidents etc.

First year with a big motorway issue on the monday is going to equal 100s of stuck electric cars i reckon

Whole bundle of new training, inspection and regulatory requirements for many places, including festivals which are classed as enhanced tier, coming down the line in the shape of 'Martyns Law'.

Going to add significant costs to events like Glastonbury especially in terms of a massive compulsory training requirement, given the number of volunteers and staff involved, in terms of time, money and infrastructure. 

Hugely impactful. Impact assessment here just published.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1154338/2023-04-25_Martyn_s_Law_Impact_Assessment.pdf

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Whole bundle of new training, inspection and regulatory requirements for many places, including festivals which are classed as enhanced tier, coming down the line in the shape of 'Martyns Law'.

Going to add significant costs to events like Glastonbury especially in terms of a massive compulsory training requirement, given the number of volunteers and staff involved, in terms of time, money and infrastructure. 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1154338/2023-04-25_Martyn_s_Law_Impact_Assessment.pdf

Which Tory donors are going after that £6bn?

14 minutes ago, Copperface said:

It looks like the festival already does most of this all ready so the cost impact will be quite low 

On 5/2/2023 at 9:38 PM, Copperface said:

TLDR from someone? skipped to where it said about festivals but it just defined them

interestingly all festivals are 'enhanced' tier, the same as stadiums, themeparks and racecourses. could be damaging to small fests potentially

On 5/8/2023 at 8:22 PM, gfa said:

TLDR from someone? skipped to where it said about festivals but it just defined them

interestingly all festivals are 'enhanced' tier, the same as stadiums, themeparks and racecourses. could be damaging to small fests potentially

I work in risk management and we had this link circulated this week:

Protect Duty Draft Legislation Published: What You Need to Know (dacbeachcroft.com)

Still a long read, but in essence, any qualifying public place (includes events) with over 800 person in attendance are top tier and it's estimated the additional measures will cost over £80,000 per event/annum.  It's largely specific terrorism risk assessments, subsequent additional security if recommended/practicable and training.

Frankly, it's all bullshit and I personally think that with a risk such as terrorism you can't practically risk assess it as you have no idea what type of threat you may be facing.  Who would have predicted the twin towers attack for instance?  It's all political will driving this in that terrorism attacks make headlines and politicians need to be seen to act.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Not entirely in Glasto's control, but I wonder if the continuously hot festivals will lead to them amending the festival layout in any way? There have been 3/4 warm ones in a row with limited shade now, so wouldn't surprise me if they felt it needed a few amendments

48 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

Not entirely in Glasto's control, but I wonder if the continuously hot festivals will lead to them amending the festival layout in any way? There have been 3/4 warm ones in a row with limited shade now, so wouldn't surprise me if they felt it needed a few amendments

wouldn't be surprised for the licence to start stipulating how much shade is available,. could be marquees with the sides open, or those sail things which get strung up.

What will Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts be like in 2050?
ChatGPT

As an AI language model, I can speculate on what the Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts might be like in 2050 based on current trends and possibilities. However, please note that these are speculative and imaginative predictions, and the actual event may differ significantly.

1. Technological Advancements: By 2050, we can expect significant advancements in technology to enhance the festival experience. Virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) could play a major role, allowing attendees to immerse themselves in interactive performances, visual spectacles, and virtual stages.

2. Sustainability and Environmental Focus: As concerns about climate change continue to grow, the Glastonbury Festival is likely to prioritize sustainability even more. The event might feature eco-friendly infrastructure, renewable energy sources, waste reduction initiatives, and increased emphasis on environmental education and awareness.

3. Expanded Performances: In 2050, Glastonbury could include a wider range of performing arts, including cutting-edge digital performances, interactive installations, and multidisciplinary collaborations. The festival may showcase futuristic dance performances, holographic concerts, innovative theater productions, and experimental art installations.

4. Global Collaboration: The festival might foster international collaborations, inviting artists, musicians, and performers from various cultures and regions to create a truly global celebration of contemporary performing arts. This could result in a diverse range of acts, combining traditional and contemporary elements from different parts of the world.

5. Enhanced Connectivity: With advances in connectivity, Glastonbury could offer attendees seamless access to high-speed internet and advanced communication technologies. This would allow for real-time social interactions, personalized recommendations, and interactive experiences, bridging the physical and digital realms.

6. Inclusive and Accessible Experience: Glastonbury may continue its commitment to inclusivity and accessibility, ensuring that people of all abilities can enjoy the festival. This could involve improved infrastructure, sensory-friendly areas, sign language interpretation, audio descriptions, and other accommodations to make the event more welcoming for everyone.

7. Enhanced Camping Experience: Camping could be transformed by innovative technologies and sustainable practices. Imagine eco-friendly and energy-efficient camping gear, smart tents with built-in climate control, renewable energy sources to power camping equipment, and improved waste management systems.

8. Collaborative Art and Community Engagement: Glastonbury has always celebrated community spirit and artistic expression. In 2050, we might see even more opportunities for attendees to actively participate in the creation of art installations, collaborative performances, and interactive workshops. The festival may foster a sense of collective creativity and encourage attendees to engage with the artistic process.

These predictions are speculative and based on current trends. The future of Glastonbury Festival in 2050 will ultimately depend on the evolution of technology, societal values, and the vision of the organizers and artists involved.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah with summers clearly getting hotter each year the festival will need to adapt. We saw consistent temperatures above 35 in 2022 and the festival is not at all adapted to deal with these. Would be a health disaster. Granted that the end the of June isn’t generally the temperature peak for UK summers but even 30 would be unbearable. I think we’ll see adaptations to the site in future years. 

41 minutes ago, 09matthewsw said:

Yeah with summers clearly getting hotter each year the festival will need to adapt. We saw consistent temperatures above 35 in 2022 and the festival is not at all adapted to deal with these. Would be a health disaster. Granted that the end the of June isn’t generally the temperature peak for UK summers but even 30 would be unbearable. I think we’ll see adaptations to the site in future years. 

30 was very very tough, but it isn't necessarily a new thing. 2010 and 2019 were both like that.