Which Elton track are you looking forward to the most?

kalifire

I saw him tonight. ‘Sorry’ seems to have edged out Daniel again. He was fabulous. Keep a tissue back for ‘Your Song’ if you are seeing him on the Pyramid. 

I noticed he was really articulating the ‘ST’ sounds in I’m Still Standing 😀

• Upvote 1

Watched this quick video ft. Miley, Metallica, and Elton. The way Elton heaps praise on the song and the way it touches the Metallica members, would be absolutely amazing if something came out of leftfield to break up his standard tour setlist.

I know he only played piano on the Miley version, but perhaps its just the idea of something different being planted in the setlist than this particular song itself. 

How likely are we to hear something different on the farm/Pyramid as its a one-off sort of gig?

19 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Watched this quick video ft. Miley, Metallica, and Elton. The way Elton heaps praise on the song and the way it touches the Metallica members, would be absolutely amazing if something came out of leftfield to break up his standard tour setlist.

I know he only played piano on the Miley version, but perhaps its just the idea of something different being planted in the setlist than this particular song itself. 

How likely are we to hear something different on the farm/Pyramid as its a one-off sort of gig?

I think there will be surprises, but not this. Likely to be a couple of special guests I reckon.

On 3/31/2023 at 8:36 PM, circus92 said:

Agreed on all of that.  Those 3 plus Rocketman would be just incredible.  Just had Don't Go Breaking My Heart blasting out in the kitchen and what a banger that is.  Sadly I have just been browsing Setlist.fm and am astonished to see he hardly ever plays it.  Here’s hoping Kiki makes a guest appearance and he wheels it out on the Pyramid. 🤞

I’m not sure if he particularly likes Don’t go Breaking my Heart. I once read that Bernie Taupin hates what Elton did with it. Apparently it was supposed to be a heartfelt beautiful song but Bernie said he felt Elton misjudged it and got the music totally wrong. Apparently he was fuming to see Elton off his head on coke prancing around the studio with Kiki Dee getting it so wrong. 

27 minutes ago, Adammm said:

I’m not sure if he particularly likes Don’t go Breaking my Heart. I once read that Bernie Taupin hates what Elton did with it. Apparently it was supposed to be a heartfelt beautiful song but Bernie said he felt Elton misjudged it and got the music totally wrong. Apparently he was fuming to see Elton off his head on coke prancing around the studio with Kiki Dee getting it so wrong. 

I’ve just tried to find proof of this but can’t find it. I might have dreamt all of the above so please don’t take it as gospel😂😂😂

On 4/2/2023 at 9:21 AM, Jackomanaco said:

Does he even have a bad song?

I'm having another stab at this, as I've been doing some Elton homework lately.

Wrap Her Up is from his 1985 album Ice On Fire, the follow up single to Nikita and reached no 12 in 1985.

Although the upbeat music is pretty cheesy in an uber-80s style, the lyrics are really appalling. The central premise is that Elton is regarding a parade of women, that he would like 'wrapped up' so he can take them home. "Wrap her up, I only get one chance. Beasts and beauties, but they all can dance" goes the chorus... Weirdly, this is a duet performed with George Michael... a rampantly misogynistic lyric of male possessiveness - performed by two gay men! The song hits an utter low point when they start listing the famous women BY NAME that they would like to 'wrap up'. Surely this is the only pop song to name check both Marlene Dietrich AND Samantha Fox!  It's shit.

Fuck me, back from seeing him tonight and wow, he was soooo much better than I was expecting, his voice in particular was fantastic. Got me so excited for his Glasto set now. Get down there early to grab a good spot guys, it's gonna be one hell of a party that Sunday night if tonight is anything to go by

6 hours ago, tigger123 said:

Fuck me, back from seeing him tonight and wow, he was soooo much better than I was expecting, his voice in particular was fantastic. Got me so excited for his Glasto set now. Get down there early to grab a good spot guys, it's gonna be one hell of a party that Sunday night if tonight is anything to go by

Amazing! Seeing him Monday and I’m so pumped for it. 

Finally got to see Reg last night, almost 5 years since originally buying the tickets!

Reg was great.

Can still tinkle the ivories as good as anyone else out there and his voice for the most part was great.

Does have a slight tendency to go a little Bob Mortimer in places tbh, in terms of annunciation, but for the most part was hitting the right notes.

The band were on point throughout.

Only real negative was the O2, I’ve not been to a gig there in years and I remember why. Terrible audio, levels all over the place.

At 40 I was one of the youngest in the crowd, most around me wanted to sit down throughout, so the atmosphere was flat as a pancake.

Felt like the gig only really got going from I’m Still Standing onwards.

Came away thinking…..

That show + The Pyramid + Glasto crowd + sun and cider = A potential all timer 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Finally got to see Reg last night, almost 5 years since originally buying the tickets!

Reg was great.

Can still tinkle the ivories as good as anyone else out there and his voice for the most part was great.

Does have a slight tendency to go a little Bob Mortimer in places tbh, in terms of annunciation, but for the most part was hitting the right notes.

The band were on point throughout.

Only real negative was the O2, I’ve not been to a gig there in years and I remember why. Terrible audio, levels all over the place.

At 40 I was one of the youngest in the crowd, most around me wanted to sit down throughout, so the atmosphere was flat as a pancake.

Felt like the gig only really got going from I’m Still Standing onwards.

Came away thinking…..

That show + The Pyramid + Glasto crowd + sun and cider = A potential all timer 

I really REALLY hope I get tickets now and I'm liking that equation a lot.

Literally just sold our tickets this morning on FanSale because in the time we've waited to see EJ we've had a second kid and he completely Reg-blocked us from attending 😄

24 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I really REALLY hope I get tickets now and I'm liking that equation a lot.

Literally just sold our tickets this morning on FanSale because in the time we've waited to see EJ we've had a second kid and he completely Reg-blocked us from attending 😄

We are in a similar position but luckily have in-laws close by for babysitting. 

I don’t think it’s the worst move to wait until Glasto tbh, it’ll be 10/10 for you.