What is your arrival strategy ?

Crazyfool01

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Bumping this....just speaking with who I'm going with this year about car park tickets.

We've got four of us travelling together, trying to think if going in one car is achievable?.....my VW Golf hatchback is what's being suggested to drive down in (which is new enough that you can move the boot further down for more space) .... obviously we can all fit in it, but just wondering if four people + kit will overload the car a bit too much? 

Anyone got experience of being on the fence of 1 or 2 cars?

First time we did Glastonbury there were 4 of us in a much smaller car than that and we were coming from Bolton. Won't lie it was jammed and I certainly wouldn't do it now but it should be achievable. If necessary you could look to hire a roof rack if you don't have one. We were broke when we first started going so I just had a lot of things in my lap!

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

First time we did Glastonbury there were 4 of us in a much smaller car than that and we were coming from Bolton. Won't lie it was jammed and I certainly wouldn't do it now but it should be achievable. If necessary you could look to hire a roof rack if you don't have one. We were broke when we first started going so I just had a lot of things in my lap!

Can you hire them?

That might sort the problem!

It used to be a rite of passage, 5 scruffy students in a mini piled so tight with bags and kit that you could barely see out the windows, piling out of the car on arrival sweating like a pig and realising that one mate you can never rely on forgot their tent so you'll be putting up with their snoring at close range for the next few days.

Three in a hatchback is a pretty decent amount i'd say, four is just going to be a pain in the arse. You wont be able to see out of your parcel shelf, and it'll be heavy on the axles so the little country bits wont be very comfy. I'd declare it as full on 3, and as you're the driver you're in charge 

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

Three in a hatchback is a pretty decent amount i'd say, four is just going to be a pain in the arse. You wont be able to see out of your parcel shelf, and it'll be heavy on the axles so the little country bits wont be very comfy. I'd declare it as full on 3, and as you're the driver you're in charge 

Yep, the car is also only 18 months old and I don't want it getting wrecked! 😄 

Spoke too soon mates landrover has just badly failed mot …. That means it’s likely I’ll drive but need to root around for bike rack and see if it’s useable . Guess it’s my turn again though so probably fair 

22 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

We have fitted more than that in for family camping trips but it does depend on how uncomfy you are willing to be. We now have a roofbox.

I'm taking myself, the wife and the dog to Ireland for the week in early June in the car and a roof box might be a very good shout and I can then use it for Glastonbury.

Do you have a recommendation?

Just now, gooner1990 said:

I'm taking myself, the wife and the dog to Ireland for the week in early June in the car and a roof box might be a very good shout and I can then use it for Glastonbury.

Do you have a recommendation?

We got a hard shell one from Halfords, we had to had the type without roof bars as a Fiesta obvs doesnt have any. Works really well though. I think it was around 200quid and the bars were another 100. An investment to be sure but it has transformed our camping trips.

Into the car park overnight, missing the traffic chaos, try and have a sleep then queue up for gates opening. Car hopefully in a location where access out after festival is good. Always worked for us when general camping and the same when up in Worthy View. 

5 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

We got a hard shell one from Halfords, we had to had the type without roof bars as a Fiesta obvs doesnt have any. Works really well though. I think it was around 200quid and the bars were another 100. An investment to be sure but it has transformed our camping trips.

Thanks, I've got a week off at the end of March so will have a look then,  we do a lot of two/three night breaks and now we have a dog I find with his basket etc the car fills up fast and with a week in Ireland and Glastonbury coming up that might solve the too many people in the car problem. 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Into the car park overnight, missing the traffic chaos, try and have a sleep then queue up for gates opening. Car hopefully in a location where access out after festival is good. Always worked for us when general camping and the same when up in Worthy View. 

you go overnight for worthy ? does that not avoid a good part of traffic queue ? and no need to worry about tent space ... 

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

you go overnight for worthy ? does that not avoid a good part of traffic queue ? and no need to worry about tent space ... 

yes,  arrive around 4am after staying locally for a few days get parked up and wait for gate to open. In the tent by half eight. Done that for the last few festivals. Not this year though, it’s hospitality ticket camping or maybe lime kiln. 

In the very privileged position of an easy arrival on the Sunday afternoon, no queues no hassle, CV already registered for access, do some work Monday & Tuesday and explore the crew bars for the very first time. Who knows, it may never happen again, so I'd like to get round as many of them as I can!

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Can you hire them?

Yes just checked before I posted and you can do. I have no link to these people just the first one I googled https://roofbox2hire.com/

Obviously do your own research for reputable companies etc but a quick quoe for me was about £60 for 8 days 😄

My mate's roof bars got pinched from the car park last year, which royally pissed him off - he has a van and they were the rolling type, £200 a set, some light fingered bastards got to em at some point between the friday (when he last was at his van) and first knockings monday morning. That'd worry me more if i had rented them, in the knowledge that they'll doubtless have insurance but will sting you on deposits etc. 

23 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

My mate's roof bars got pinched from the car park last year, which royally pissed him off - he has a van and they were the rolling type, £200 a set, some light fingered bastards got to em at some point between the friday (when he last was at his van) and first knockings monday morning. That'd worry me more if i had rented them, in the knowledge that they'll doubtless have insurance but will sting you on deposits etc. 

God that's terrifying.To nick mine I think you would have to open the doors as they fit inside the doors or basically break the roofbox getting it off the car.

38 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes just checked before I posted and you can do. I have no link to these people just the first one I googled https://roofbox2hire.com/

Obviously do your own research for reputable companies etc but a quick quoe for me was about £60 for 8 days 😄

You could buy one off Fleabay/Gumtree for that.

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

You could buy one off Fleabay/Gumtree for that.

Yes but if you have nowhere to store it etc then it’s an option. Also the 4 people in the car can split the cost which might feel a bit cheeky if you are buying one to ask for contributions. 

7 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Can you hire them?

Yes. Following on from @gigpusher and @dotdash79 posts  I've hired a roof box before and they had the option to hire the roof bars as well.

If you google roof box hire and your town you might get a more local outfit that are a good price

Edited by dondo

9 hours ago, dondo said:

Yes. Following on from @gigpusher and @dotdash79 posts  I've hired a roof box before and they had the option to hire the roof bars as well.

If you google roof box hire and your town you might get a more local outfit that are a good price

I think I might go down that route.......thanks 🙂 

Now I’ve got a volunteer ticket 😊courtesy of a friend (I’m their personal assistant in the disabled campsite), my arrival strategy is different to normal. We are allocated 1 disabled car park pass, so we have to meet along the route (we live at opposite ends of the A303. I’ve booked a BnB for 25 June in a village near Podimore which will allow me to leave my car in their car park until 1 July. Friend will pick me up early doors on 26 June, then we’ll travel in their car to site. So grateful to my friend for inviting me to assist 🙏 Rest of my normal group will be either volunteering or crewing if they don’t get tickets in resale (or win a competition!).