West holts lineup

Crazyfool01

3 hours ago, chazwwe said:

From what I know they've not said anything about recordings.

There's a fairly widely available bootleg/live recording thing of all the new songs they were playing last year. And that live at Bush Hall thing gives a pretty good taste of what they're like at the moment. It sounds a lot better on re-watching/listening than it did during the gig they recorded. I left Bush Hall unconvinced on the night, but really like the film.

14 hours ago, chazwwe said:

Yup, he pretty much left on the eve of the album being released. Performed some of the songs live in the lead up to it but that was it. Band have been testing songs live since last summer, trading positions on writing the songs and singing them live. Fortunately, they're a very multi talented band so yes its hit them hard, but they've picked it up very well.

Will be interested to see how that pans out! 

3 minutes ago, Mardy said:

BCNR releasing the Bush Hall stuff as an album end of next month

Saw somebody on Reddit say that the band has no intention of ever recording these songs properly and that the live album will be the definitive version of them all. Not sure whether that’s speculation or somebody in the know, but looks like I’ll have to give it a watch/listen before the festival if that’s the case. 

• Like 1

Any big finds for you guys from the line up? 

I’d heard a few Gabriels tracks before the last festival, but will be all over their set this year. 

Enjoying Barrington Levy, Louis Cole and Say She She too, will catch them all clashes permitting. 

18 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Any big finds for you guys from the line up? 

I’d heard a few Gabriels tracks before the last festival, but will be all over their set this year. 

Enjoying Barrington Levy, Louis Cole and Say She She too, will catch them all clashes permitting. 

I saw Say She She last night. They'll go down well if it's a bright sunny day for sure. It's all light soul and funk with harmonies, pleasant, a bit too derivative, I guess they're first on.

1 minute ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I saw Say She She last night. They'll go down well if it's a bright sunny day for sure. It's all light soul and funk with harmonies, pleasant, a bit too derivative, I guess they're first on.

I was at that gig too.  Really enjoyed it to be fair, but old school soul/disco/funk is very much my jam.  Agree that a sunny day in Holts they could go down well.  Along with some Brothers and a fish curry.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Sounds ace. Some good food and a pint of Brothers at the same time. 

Perfect way to start the day. 

I've been listening to the Star Feminine Band. They sound amazing, and their story is so inspirational. Girls looking for role models should look no further. The Glasto site says it all, really:

Edit. You can kinda read it if you squint lol

group of schoolgirls from a remote area of northern Benin who have overcome incredible odds to bring their music to the world. Their joyful mix of highlife and Congolese rumba underpin righteous lyrics that demand social justice for girls and women.

Edited by Lucy F
Oops

19 minutes ago, Lucy F said:

I've been listening to the Star Feminine Band. They sound amazing, and their story is so inspirational. Girls looking for role models should look no further. The Glasto site says it all, really:

Edit. You can kinda read it if you squint lol

group of schoolgirls from a remote area of northern Benin who have overcome incredible odds to bring their music to the world. Their joyful mix of highlife and Congolese rumba underpin righteous lyrics that demand social justice for girls and women.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but there's some great undercards on there. *If* I get a ticket in the resale, I'd def see Gabriels, Young Fathers, the HU, Candi Staton, Louis Cole, Third World, Sudan Archives, ADG7, Say She She, BCNR...

But the headliners look again a tad on the weaker side. Perhaps there's not enough heritage acts to book of they're not touring? No big US hip-hop acts, groups, or singers in the mould of Cee Lo, Janelle Monae, Wu Tang, QTip, Jacksons, Kool & the Gang, Big Boi.. No big dance acts like Justice, Disclosure, Bicep... 

Is this intentional? Budget cuts? Just not enough bands touring? 

Anyway, like I've said before, it's my fave field normally, but none of those headliners seem impressive. 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

ut the headliners look again a tad on the weaker side. Perhaps there's not enough heritage acts to book of they're not touring? No big US hip-hop acts, groups, or singers in the mould of Cee Lo, Janelle Monae, Wu Tang, QTip, Jacksons, Kool & the Gang, Big Boi.. No big dance acts like Justice, Disclosure, Bicep... 

i'm not sure they work out as great value, as a lot of those didn't have many people watching them.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

i'm not sure they work out as great value, as a lot of those didn't have many people watching them.

Kinda makes sense I guess.

It's why I liked that stage so much, you could see huge acts and have no bother having space to move around. For Big Boi, Cee Lo, Kool, it was easy to find space to dance around, nip to the bar, head straight back in.

The last time I went though it felt like that secret was out though. Jacksons was rammed, so too was Bicep I thought. Shame anyway.

16 minutes ago, westholtschic said:

Gabriel’s are in my top 3 must sees of the weekend. Already pre ordered their new album. Can’t wait.

I'm jealous, I can't make such concrete plans yet. If I'm lucky in the resale, I'd be there easily. Imagine this around 6:45 on Friday, sun on your back, cider in hand...

• Upvote 1

On 4/2/2023 at 11:13 AM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I'm jealous, I can't make such concrete plans yet. If I'm lucky in the resale, I'd be there easily. Imagine this around 6:45 on Friday, sun on your back, cider in hand...

Fucking love this song.  In fact I don't think they've released a single track I don't love.  Won't be missing them at West Holts.