Glastonbury don't have enough money to put on the "exact same show"

ProperTea

Worried about the Williams green not being there. The fact that EE mentioned secret sets not being akin to what we've come to expect during recent years suggest maybe they don't have the funds to justify. In my experience of going since 2004, it has just been expanding and expanding as a festival, can appreciate if it needs to contact a bit in the current climate. I won't begrudge as it will still be brilliant in 2023 I'm sure

5 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If we had some longer sets, I wouldn't complain. Often a non-headliner festival set feels a bit like a sampler rather than a full performance.

That's would be the dream. They can cut acts and stages to save costs but that means crowds are bigger as less stages and more cross over time for people to bounce to a different stage.

5 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If we had some longer sets, I wouldn't complain. Often a non-headliner festival set feels a bit like a sampler rather than a full performance.

Double edged sword. New acts might not have enough material to cover an hour and change. Butnof course the ones with multiple albums can fit in other songs you wouldnt hear at a festival set. Factor in audience attention span and lots of people dont feel the need to be there an extra 15 mins for somebody. 

On 3/5/2023 at 9:46 AM, Justcalledtosay said:

Is it inconceivable that we might lose one act from each stage this year?

There's perhaps some logic to it. Slightly later start each day, 10 minutes longer between each set.

I can see how some cost savings could be made, particularly across all stages over the weekend.

Slightly less frantic for the punters and possibly far easier for the back stage services.

Festival needs less tickets for performers, which frees up more for corporate guests paying £££

Kind of makes sense to me?

13 hours ago, plaskins said:

Worried about the Williams green not being there. The fact that EE mentioned secret sets not being akin to what we've come to expect during recent years suggest maybe they don't have the funds to justify. In my experience of going since 2004, it has just been expanding and expanding as a festival, can appreciate if it needs to contact a bit in the current climate. I won't begrudge as it will still be brilliant in 2023 I'm sure

Same - some of my favourite sets have been there such as Wolf Alice in 2014, and Let's Eat Grandma in 2017. Provided a great alternative to the SE corner and Silver Hayes in terms of late night stuff too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nice hymer said:

There's perhaps some logic to it. Slightly later start each day, 10 minutes longer between each set.

A lot later, 11am is far too early, I may just be waking up at that time, then there's coffee, smokes, breakfast etc - at least an hour.

2 hours ago, Nice hymer said:

I can see how some cost savings could be made, particularly across all stages over the weekend.

Slightly less frantic for the punters and possibly far easier for the back stage services.

Festival needs less tickets for performers, which frees up more for corporate guests paying £££

Kind of makes sense to me?

Only risk is that with less acts to see your chance of severe crowding problems increases. So might need more stewards and security deployed to manage it. 

You're more likely to get an unexpectedly big crowd like TLC or eats everythings history of rave. 

1 hour ago, gfa said:

I agree 11am is very early. would have no issue with it going to 12 to cut costs, hardly anyone goes to the super early sets anyway bar other opener

I am an early riser (it just happens, I don't WANT it) and even for me 11.00 is too early. 

7 minutes ago, moogster said:

I am an early riser (it just happens, I don't WANT it) and even for me 11.00 is too early. 

I'm surprised the bands can be bothered doing an 11am start TBH esp for the lower fees. I can see an upcoming band doing it for the exposure, but an established big act, playing to 2 men and a dog can't be much fun.

• Upvote 1

ive got a traditional 11am spot at West Holts on the saturday, whoever is on with a breakfast pie and a pint of something nice - the best one was the Bedouin jerrycan band (who i ended up watching next to that little Alex guy from the Arctic Monkeys. He's extremely small, but polite. Or at least in 2008 he was!)

There's plenty of people about at 11am.

People forget the organised late night areas only have capacity for a small number of people relative to the festival as a whole. Maybe 20,000 - you might have that number again at the less organised stuff - stone circle, greenfields, etc. and that again pottering around the site... but it leaves a hell of a lot of people who go straight back to their tents after the headliners.

The smaller stages struggle a bit more at that time, but they also struggle as much during headliner time.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

There's plenty of people about at 11am.

People forget the organised late night areas only have capacity for a small number of people relative to the festival as a whole. Maybe 20,000 - you might have that number again at the less organised stuff - stone circle, greenfields, etc. and that again pottering around the site... but it leaves a hell of a lot of people who go straight back to their tents after the headliners.

The smaller stages struggle a bit more at that time, but they also struggle as much during headliner time.

Isn't IICON alone 20k. its busy but theres still a good amount of capacity in the SE corner. let alone SH which is fairly big and quiet

For the five nights I’ll probably be back to tent around 2-2:30 a couple of the nights, and later the others. Usually up around 6:30.... mixture of light in tent (don’t have a f&b!) and call of nature at my age. I’m an early riser anyway, and caffeine perks me up. Don’t get me wrong, come Sunday, I’m running on fumes, but it’s part of the experience for me. Leave it all out there, as I don’t know when I’ll be back. I’m 59, and because th journey there and back (from Scotland) is another part of it, there will come a time when I’m no longer up for it. “Today is not that day!”. Anyway, back to the original point.... the whilst I quite enjoy the nightlife, it’s mainly about the music, and the vibe of the place for me, so if something has to give over the 5 days, it’s usually the nightlife. Also, don’t underestimate the benefit of a power nap in the sun listening to some early morning tunes in a tent, or at the Pyramid.

Edited by Tranquility of Solitude
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

For the five nights I’ll probably be back to tent around 2-2:30 a couple of the nights, and later the others. Usually up around 6:30.... mixture of light in tent (don’t have a f&b!) and call of nature at my age. I’m an early riser anyway, and caffeine perks me up. Don’t get me wrong, come Sunday, I’m running on fumes, but it’s part of the experience for me. Leave it all out there, as I don’t know when I’ll be back. I’m 59, and because th journey there and back (from Scotland) is another part of it, there will come a time when I’m no longer up for it. “Today is not that day!”. Anyway, back to the original point.... the whilst I quite enjoy the nightlife, it’s mainly about the music, and the vibe of the place for me, so if something has to give over the 5 days, it’s usually the nightlife. Also, don’t underestimate the benefit of a power nap in the sun listening to some early morning tunes in a tent, or at the Pyramid.

with the cost savings maybe they should organise a fresh and black uptake scheme!

25 minutes ago, clasher said:

At what time do you guys head to sleep and how much do you drink? The early risers I mean. 

I used to be stopping up much later, but I’ve never been a great one for really late nights. At the festival these days I’m in bed by 1am. Obviously I miss a lot but I’ve done it in the past.

I’m not a huge drinker, 4 or 5 beers over the duration of the day, and generally in bed for about 2am ish - I wander around t+c after whichever headliner I watch. I’ll be up about 8/9ish and I’ll also ensure I have a good half hour nap in the afternoon, but brekky and a nice pint while I watch something I’ve never heard of at 11am is a great way to kick off a day 

Back to tent about 1-2am. Not into dance music so rarely out past 1.30ish when the last of the T&C stuff shuts down. Maybe the occasional later one in Mavericks but less likely these days!

Don't drink much these days either, 2-5 pints in a day. Not exactly an "early riser" but up at 9am so not exactly a challenge to be down amongst it by 11am!