Line Up Announced

CaledonianGonzo

2 hours ago, Jack.194 said:

Love the lineup, some really strong names on there I think.

Have avoided this side of the forums since being unsuccessful on ticket day. Hope everyone with tickets are happy with the lineup, and say a prayer for those of us who are ticketless come April time!

Fingers crossed for you!

1 hour ago, TravSC said:

For me, admittedly a ‘bucket hat/dark fruits’ stereotype, an alarming lack of indie guitar bands on lineup but hopeful for adds.

Give me a few of Pulp, Ashcroft, Black Keys, DMAs, Liam, Vaccines, Johnny Marr, Courteeners, etc to go along with Arctics & Manics and will be set.

First Glasto, from America and who knows when next time will be so looking forward to the next poster drop!

I'm of the britpop era. So was also hoping for a few more bands from that time.. granted we have the manic. But pulp, ocean colour scene, suede, wouldn't have gone amiss.. 

I feel the era, or genre is a bit underrepresented. Guitar bands that have come since then or up and coming, the coral, reverend and the Makers, courteeners, lathums, red rum club, miles kane that sort of booking. 

Not a diss as don't mind a lot on the lineup, but I want an excuse to take my bucket hat too

• Like 1

Just now, plaskins said:

I'm of the britpop era. So was also hoping for a few more bands from that time.. granted we have the manic. But pulp, ocean colour scene, suede, wouldn't have gone amiss.. 

I feel the era, or genre is a bit underrepresented. Guitar bands that have come since then or up and coming, the coral, reverend and the Makers, courteeners, lathums, red rum club, miles kane that sort of booking. 

Not a diss as don't mind a lot on the lineup, but I want an excuse to take my bucket hat too

I think a lot of that stuff will come later. The first poster is always a good representation of what’s current and who’s filling up the big slots across the lineup, which none of those kinds of acts will be doing because they’re not exactly in fashion right now, but they’ll be prominent on Other and John Peel as ever. 

14 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I have a confession to make…i think it might be my fault if Pulp and/or Prodigy aren’t playing Glasto. I added them to my Glasto 2023 playlist a couple of months ago. Feel like I’ve put the mockers on them 🙈

You big jinx 😛 just glad I'm seeing pulp elsewhere. Really thought they'd be nailed on. Maybe they still are. Time will tell

6 hours ago, Pipkins2 said:

Sorry - but the answer to that is a resounding YES. He is an absolute bona fide legend and has some of the most recognisable and iconic songs of all time. For many years we thought he would never return to contemporary music. If you haven't seen him before (which I'm assuming you haven't as you haven't heard his music) then I assure you he is an absolute MUST. I don't wish this to appear rude (I'm sure it will do) but this is like the comments when Neil Young and Springsteen played claiming they couldn't be famous because they didn't know them. He is up there with Dylan, CSNY, Joni, Cohen.

Yeah I'm not even saying it in a dick way or anything. I looked him up and listened to a song called Father & Son (or sometjing close to that) and I was legitimately confused. I consider myself to have goot musical knowledge, so I had to ask what was going on.

To me, being perfectly honest, this feels like a bit of a niche legend thing. For context, Neil Young and Springsteen are absolutely on my radar, and I'm astonished that anyone WOULDN'T know them... But this one feels more like a Leonard Cohen/Burt Bacharach sort of legend. They're legends, but a lot of people are going to be a bit miffed.

They're not like your Dolly Partons, Lionel Richies and Kylies, who have incredible, far-reaching mainstream appeal, but for a more refined audience?

9 hours ago, Prince Mylo said:

If you haven't heard of Cat Stevens then... I'm sorry to say... you don't have goot musical knowledge sir 🥸

or are young

i've been on here about 5 years and hadn't heard of cat stevens till about a month ago 

10 hours ago, Prince Mylo said:

If you haven't heard of Cat Stevens then... I'm sorry to say... you don't have goot musical knowledge sir 🥸

I've heard of Cat Stevens, but have never heard his music which, as I say, I am utterly baffled by.

I'm 29 and I don't understand how somebody who is apparently considered such a legend has completely passed me by for nearly 3 decades.

32 minutes ago, gfa said:

or are young

i've been on here about 5 years and hadn't heard of cat stevens till about a month ago 

He was potentially going to play in 2020 with a tour date gap around the fest so that shouldve been an alert 3 years ago.

how fitting this kind of article pops up yet again. And the focus is just on uk fests, not the whole of it.

Edited by Suprefan

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think that's fair enough. Unless you're actively seeking out his music I'm not sure where you'd actually hear it.  Radio 2 maybe....

This is sort of my point. It doesn't feel like your usual Sunday teatime legends slot. He feels more like he should be in similar slot to which Burt Bacharach had to me.

I also just had a look online, and I know that the charts aren't a barometer for everything, but Razorlight have more number 1 albums than Stevens, with one number 1 album.

I have also done the all-important "Has my mum heard of them?" test and unfortunately, she has not.

Blondie's a bigger legend to me personally than Cat is. Already seeing them support Sting though a week later so makes it an easy skip. 

Be shocked if someone had never heard Wild World or Father & Son in their life though. 

Edited by BenG92
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think that's fair enough. Unless you're actively seeking out his music I'm not sure where you'd actually hear it.  Radio 2 maybe....

He's one those artists where people under 30 will  recognise some of his songs through other people doing covers but that's about it.

Looking at his setlists, I'm pretty sure I'll be elsewhere. He may be a legend but not massively exciting for me to be honest

28 minutes ago, K2SO said:

This is sort of my point. It doesn't feel like your usual Sunday teatime legends slot. He feels more like he should be in similar slot to which Burt Bacharach had to me.

I also just had a look online, and I know that the charts aren't a barometer for everything, but Razorlight have more number 1 albums than Stevens, with one number 1 album.

I have also done the all-important "Has my mum heard of them?" test and unfortunately, she has not.

I love that razorlight has become a metric 😂

Cat Stevens couldn't do half the reggae set that Razorlight will be doing this year on WH!

16 hours ago, TravSC said:

For me, admittedly a ‘bucket hat/dark fruits’ stereotype, an alarming lack of indie guitar bands on lineup but hopeful for adds.

Give me a few of Pulp, Ashcroft, Black Keys, DMAs, Liam, Vaccines, Johnny Marr, Courteeners, etc to go along with Arctics & Manics and will be set.

First Glasto, from America and who knows when next time will be so looking forward to the next poster drop!

15 hours ago, gfa said:

Agree, would love some more bucket hat indie haha

Prime targets to be left out when going for 50/50 and not old white men vibes, will certainly be plenty added to fill the Other stage 🙂 think DMAs have a glasto hole at the moment and several of those are defo due back (vaccines for one).

I'm the same but I think due to the expected backlash this first poster had to be a lot more diverse. Manics being on there probably discounts the likes of DMA's being on there (not to mention their ambitious Wembley Arena show needing to sell tickets alongside a big tour, can imagine they'd want to be left over the first poster anyway). Those are the sorts of acts that just drop in on the timings and pad out the festival for those of us with the basic music tastes. 

Incidentally well excited for DMA's at Cavern Club end of the month.

Though I am fortunate enough to be able to do Neighbourhood Weekender as well as Glastonbury to get my fix of that sort of thing, so it's not as essential for me

Edited by efcfanwirral

12 hours ago, K2SO said:

Yeah I'm not even saying it in a dick way or anything. I looked him up and listened to a song called Father & Son (or sometjing close to that) and I was legitimately confused. I consider myself to have goot musical knowledge, so I had to ask what was going on.

To me, being perfectly honest, this feels like a bit of a niche legend thing. For context, Neil Young and Springsteen are absolutely on my radar, and I'm astonished that anyone WOULDN'T know them... But this one feels more like a Leonard Cohen/Burt Bacharach sort of legend. They're legends, but a lot of people are going to be a bit miffed.

They're not like your Dolly Partons, Lionel Richies and Kylies, who have incredible, far-reaching mainstream appeal, but for a more refined audience?

Boyzone covering father and son was my first introduction to that song on the Now CDs as a kid. Didn't realise Cat Stevens did the original.

5 hours ago, gfa said:

I love that razorlight has become a metric 😂

Cat Stevens couldn't do half the reggae set that Razorlight will be doing this year on WH!

Not even just Razorlight.

Diana Vickers, Nickelback, 2 Unlimited, Orson and Jahmene Douglas all have more number 1 albums than Stevens who has exactly zero number 1 UK albums or singles.

7 hours ago, K2SO said:

I've heard of Cat Stevens, but have never heard his music which, as I say, I am utterly baffled by.

I'm 29 and I don't understand how somebody who is apparently considered such a legend has completely passed me by for nearly 3 decades.

I think it's that he isn't in the public eye the way that a lot of these other "legends" are.  Cat Stevens isn't a celebrity in the same way that Dolly or Lionel or Kylie are.  You're not gonna see him on a red carpet anytime soon, despite the reach of his music, 

I also wonder if maybe some of his hits are better known in America.  Father & Son is a really well known song here, as is Wild World.  Also, he's the soundtrack to Harold and Maude, which is a cult classic movie that just about everyone I know loves.  

The man is a bonafide legend to me