Glasto Hacks

Bike_Like_A_Mum

On 4/7/2023 at 9:37 AM, FrankieX said:

Regarding toilet paper, I take it off the roll completely and fold it in a waterproof, resealable freezer bag. (Well, I split it between two bags just in case I lose one, technically) Fits in your pocket so easy to carry all weekend, keeps it dry, and doesn't announce to everyone in the campsite you're about to take a massive poo.

Not gonna lie, I kinda like the announcement. Loo roll in one hand, programme tucked under the arm, coffee in the other hand, see you in 15.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Yep do both of these. Also have a tenner tucked away in the back of the case for any finders to buy themselves a pint or cover postage costs.

Tenner is a good idea. probably would just end up spending it though haha

My mate lost her phone and we thought it was a night ender but then someone handed it in to the side of the stage and told us when we were walking around with a torch on like idiots lol

Great crowd 🙂 

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yep do both of these. Also have a tenner tucked away in the back of the case for any finders to buy themselves a pint or cover postage costs.

Wow that really is forward thinking, love that because if you don't lose your phone then you've got a magic tenner you've forgotten about for one last pint for yourself. Winner!

3 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Wow that really is forward thinking, love that because if you don't lose your phone then you've got a magic tenner you've forgotten about for one last pint for yourself. Winner!

One? <worried look> I haven't been to G for a while but now I need to carry 5 slabs in lol. Mr Orangutan Arms incoming. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 4:29 AM, mike46 said:

Unfortunately phone thefts are all too common, especially on the first nights, so I always use a little carabiner clip to connect my tent zip ties at night. Very easy to get off on the inside but makes it very hard to open from the outside. 

Only had it come into effect once when I woke up to someone moving my zip round.  A swift kick and a shout before we jumped out to see them running off through the campsite. 

Do you have a recommendation for a carabiner that can fit between the zips? I've been looking at some on Amazon but they all appear a bit big to fit through the small holes you find in zips.

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Do you have a recommendation for a carabiner that can fit between the zips? I've been looking at some on Amazon but they all appear a bit big to fit through the small holes you find in zips.

I’ve got quite a small one I’ve had for years that fits my current tent - but previously I tied some string through each zip with a loop on the end and then connected them using the carabiner if that makes sense?

On 4/21/2023 at 10:12 AM, Quark said:

Not gonna lie, I kinda like the announcement. Loo roll in one hand, programme tucked under the arm, coffee in the other hand, see you in 15.

When looking at Glastonbury YouTube videos I did notice on this one a guy at around 1.13 with his loo roll in hand either going to or from his ablutions 

On 3/2/2023 at 1:00 PM, The Clearest Blue said:

I find a small bottle of actual hand soap better than using hand sanitiser, which just builds up on your hands.

I think a lot of people don't realise that gel doesn't kill diarrhoea type viruses either, so much better to wash your hands with soap (which does) after the loo if you can.

My tip is ALWAYS USE THE LOCKUPS.   Although people say that the crime rate is low, I know that my tent has been "visited" at least twice in the 5 years I've gone.  But I keep nothing of value in my tent, so no harm done.  They also provide free toilet roll.  You can put things like car keys, return tickets etc in there as well as the obvious spare cards or cash.  Or put extra layers for later in the day in the nearest one to where you may be as evening falls. And take a photo of the receipt in case you lose it.

And give a donation - either each time you use it or at the end.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I think a lot of people don't realise that gel doesn't kill diarrhoea type viruses either, so much better to wash your hands with soap (which does) after the loo if you can.

My tip is ALWAYS USE THE LOCKUPS.   Although people say that the crime rate is low, I know that my tent has been "visited" at least twice in the 5 years I've gone.  But I keep nothing of value in my tent, so no harm done.  They also provide free toilet roll.  You can put things like car keys, return tickets etc in there as well as the obvious spare cards or cash.  Or put extra layers for later in the day in the nearest one to where you may be as evening falls. And take a photo of the receipt in case you lose it.

Absolutely agree - the nearest lockup should be the first place anyone goes after setting up their tent. I know some keep various things in different lock ups across the site so they're never far away from what they need, but I'm far too disorganised for that, and couldn't really tell you where I'm going to end up at any point. I just use the one closest to my tent, and stash alcohol and cash in it, treating it like an ATM for both.

On 4/29/2023 at 10:26 PM, Beerqueen said:

+ one for the lock-ups, not enough people use them IMHO the service they provide is so important, great for important documents, cash, cards etc....

Another thing I put in them (if going by public transport, I leave the same Items in the car if driving) is to put a full change of clothes, including shoes, wrapped up in a plastic bag, if the worst happens and your tent gets wet etc you know that you have a full set of clean dry clothes to get you home.....

On 4/29/2023 at 10:26 PM, Beerqueen said:

It astounds me that there are people who don't use the lock ups, it's pretty much the first thing I do after putting up my tent.

I wish every festival had something similar. 

Never used the lock ups myself. I just put my car keys in with toiletries (zip compartment) how would anyone know which your car is?

booze is not valuable as such, phone and wallet stay on my person.

not bad mouthing them at all i just dont get the need. Cash these days i bring minimal as almost everything is card and if you wanted more cash go to an ATM

Over and above that just dont bring anything valuable that you wouldnt want to lose or get nicked i’d say

I could understand a spare set of car keys or credit card or spare phone etc in a lock up for an emergency or if you really did lose them or get it nicked. Fairly sure we’ve never had anything stolen (cant say if we’ve been “visited” or not) since we started going in 2007

Edited by Memory Man

1 minute ago, Memory Man said:

Never used the lock ups myself. I just put my car keys in with toiletries (zip compartment) how would anyone know which your car is?

booze is not valuable as such, phone and wallet stay on my person.

not bad mouthing them at all i just dont get the need. Cash these days i bring minimal as almost everything is card and if you wanted more cash go to an ATM

I think it’s more the hassle - if heaven forbid someone was to visit your tent, they may just take the whole bag & sort through it later - no intention of stealing your car, but now your keys are in a bin somewhere. 

• Upvote 2

Indeed, it's not so much about getting it stolen more that I trust the lock ups more than I trust myself, and I don't even go wild on intoxicating substances 🙂 . And as an international I don't feel like having to head to the ambassy/consulate on the monday after to be able to go home... Perfect peace of mind really and it really just takes a minute if no lines!

15 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Also a good idea, do they really have space for something this big?

Yeah I have seen trolleys and kids buggies etc in there.

They are big marquees full of shelves, rather than the little lockers you get at other events, so there's room for all sorts.

I'm planning on bringing a trolley for the first time this year and hoping to leave it it the lockups, does anyone know if there's a size limit? Its similar to the one shown.

Also, do the lockups fill up? I wont be there until Thursday afternoon and I don't want to spend my precious first few hours trekking around lockups to find one that still has space?

Garden Trolley, 150Kg