Camping Plans for 2024

Supernintendo Chalmers

15 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

It's Oxfam for me this year so far (fingers crossed) although having seen how far the campsite is outside the gate I'm considering asking friends if I can crash in one of their huge tents they pitch up at pennards after my night shift if I end up on Gate D.

(Don't grass me out to them...)

It's really not that far to walk but off the record, no one knows if you're still swinging around the SE corner of if you're asleep in your mates tent so crack on.  

• Like 1

Been at Big Ground since 2010 except for Pylon once and missing last year.  Early arrival for Big Ground is getting harder and we've slept (tried to at least) in the queue the last couple of times.  The reality of that is I've only actually been once since 2017, I'm a good few years older, starting to have aches 😛, and I actually loved the one year that we were in Pylon (on account of so much extra energy from a Thursday arrival and no queueing).  Might need a rethink this year, could I be bothered getting in a queue so early, plus two others joining us from different parts of the country.  Logistics and appetites for early arrival need to be discussed - I could definitely be persuaded to try something different 🙂 

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

It's really not that far to walk but off the record, no one knows if you're still swinging around the SE corner of if you're asleep in your mates tent so crack on.  

Better things to be doing than checking on peoples tents.  Turn up for your shifts and you're golden. [edit, not you but @Leyrulion]

Edited by p.pete

19 hours ago, gfa said:

What time did you get onsite and how many people? Seems very quick - i guess no queue for a coach that early right?

17 hours ago, Trenchfoot said:

Hey, our group are getting the coach from Bath this year (last year we got the coach from elsewhere). Just wanted to quickly ask you if you don't mind, A) where abouts in Bath do the coaches run from? B) what time was your coach from Bath last year? Thank you. 

6 of us got the 6am coach from The Riverside Coach park which is pretty close to the centre of town.

Got on site for about 7am and joined the queue at gate A with the other early coach arrivals  and I think it was around half 8 by the time we made it in to the festival proper.  Pennards was starting to fill by then but was able to find space for 5 tents.

The other years where our group has managed to grab a space in pennards was because some of us were on site working so was able to wait in Pennards for the gates to open to start pitching tents

7 minutes ago, mazola said:

Places I've camped in order of how much I liked them

1 - Kidney Mead

2 - Park Home (pre Arcadia)

3 - Wicket (non family bit)

4 - Oxlyers

5 -Bushy (too far)

I'd love to be able to put a list together like this but I'm a creature of habit and I'm fairly confident I would feel incredibly uneasy about trying somewhere new 😄 

5 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I'd love to be able to put a list together like this but I'm a creature of habit and I'm fairly confident I would feel incredibly uneasy about trying somewhere new 😄 

Think I've camped in four fields, so I can't quite make a top-5 list either 🙂  - I've enjoyed all those places though - as much as the field you end up in you don't want to end up in a rubbish (for you) part of that field.  

On 1/13/2023 at 8:33 AM, Liam_G said:

thank you! yeah we noticed coaches go to Gate A which is why we considered Lime Kiln or Hitchin Hill But we are worried about the slopes, is it really that bad? 

Some spots are, some aren't. Michaels Mead is my favourite place to camp but half of it is like this

GIF insane - animated GIF on GIFER

first went in 2005, camped in Cockmill Meadow even though no kids but arrived late Thursday and not much space left, were allowed in Wicket as just two of us.

After that started to arrive Wednesday and camping in Baileys, it was much smaller than and was still half empty on Wednesday. Made sure arrived on west side and it became our 'home', yes a walk but once out we stayed out until went to sleep.

Then, last time went in 2015 was aiming for Baileys but was not feeling great (really tired, I felt cold even in the afternoon and had a fleece on was shivering, although went for a wonder also slept, fine by Thursday) so stopped in Dairy and it was fine, nice neighbours, some space. Will head there again this year.

Edited by jamesrfisher
error

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Some of the inclines are fairly steep. People camp their every year. Mystifies me how they can sleep at night.

Id a rough year in Michaels Mead before. Woke up every morning having slid off the bed into the walls of the tent.

Some people camp in Hawkwell every year. The back of which should only be occupied by mountain goats.

AVvXsEgIPJMLeFUK6m-Z3DC4MOwkMPmGzieZBJIF7lgmv1yH9ncJmgRlYg_xjexc9sluIbqLbcL4xnkS8itxnYZhpTRtlaeUTrl7-wqY6_3F1qkx6P_CqPOGRbHkj0qeLDBxqW5_Us5zphqn6GV_Wmkz6736xljeQAFPUedIHlvJqgr04gsbDxlH0RpuzQuEKQ=w400-h300 

1 hour ago, Scrump said:

How quickly does kidney mead fill up? We've got the Wed 9am coach from London so have no hope of a speedy arrival!

Plus in going with 2 first timers who might not understand the importance of where we camp.

It will be full for hours by the time you arrive. Most places will be. Aim for Lime Kiln, Pylon, Darble et al. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, clasher said:

We'll be arriving by coach at around 7:30 in the morning. What kind of queue should we expect at the coach gate, at what time would we be in?

The tend to prioritise the coach queue to prevent it backing up too much and that arrival time is before many coaches arrive, you could be in by 9am I reckon, maybe sooner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Nal said:

It will be full for hours by the time you arrive. Most places will be. Aim for Lime Kiln, Pylon, Darble et al. 

Whats Darble like for camping? was just looking at the map and perhaps lime kiln and hitchin just might be too steep and a walk back every night might not be ideal for us who aren't that fit 

• Crazyfool01 changed the title to Camping Plans for 2024