Camping Plans for 2024

Supernintendo Chalmers

Hey, can someone give me some advice 😅 First time ever coming to Glastonbury (ARRIVING WEDNESDAY) and just wondering what the best place(s) to camp are for someone getting by coach, wanting a bit of quiet at night but not TOO far (max like 15-35 mins from everything such as JP, Pyramid etc.) 🙂

53 minutes ago, Liam_G said:

Whats Darble like for camping? was just looking at the map and perhaps lime kiln and hitchin just might be too steep and a walk back every night might not be ideal for us who aren't that fit 

Our lot (Camp solo) have been camping there for the last few years.  It is one of the quietest fields for sure, and about as far as you can be away from the centre of the action so it's not exactly a short walk to anywhere, but you can make it to JP in about 5/10 mins, Pyramid about 15 mins if you walk fast.  Taking the other route through Pylon and Silver Hayes it's about the 20 mins to Other stage.

Personally I tend to be out during the day, pop back to tent in the evening to quickly change into warmer clothes and grab some booze and I don't mind the walk.  Darble is also right by the coach station so not far to drag your stuff once you're through the gate.

40 minutes ago, WMWMOfficial said:

Hey, can someone give me some advice 😅 First time ever coming to Glastonbury (ARRIVING WEDNESDAY) and just wondering what the best place(s) to camp are for someone getting by coach, wanting a bit of quiet at night but not TOO far (max like 15-35 mins from everything such as JP, Pyramid etc.) 🙂

Wednesday is a good start - depends when you are arriving on Wednesday too.  As per posts above if it's Wednesday afternoon then you'll pretty much want to find somewhere close to the Gate (A) that you arrive through, whereas if you make it through the queue before 10/11 am then you have more choice - the earlier the better basically.  Good thing arriving by bus, as per earlier posts, if your bus IS arriving relatively earlier they do 'try' to get people in from the bus queue as quick as they can (so the buses don't get backed up).

Also, if it's just yourself (with a small tent) then your options remain good later into the day - you can usually squeeze in somewhere.  Bigger tent / more people and things are harder (don't worry, lots of other people will be arriving at the same time and you can chat with them about what they're aiming for too!)

Central spots are Oxylers (by Other), Pennards (by Park) and Big Ground (by Pyramid) - nowhere is 15 minutes walk from everything - you'll appreciate that when you get there 😄 

I think we’re going for the top of Wicket this year.  I’ve been in crew camping the last two festivals, but the rest of my friends have been in wicket and it looks good to me.. before that we were all in park home / dairy.. which wasn’t my favourite.  

I kind of like the idea of hawkwell for the amazing views.. but yeah it’s kind of mountain goat territory 😂

I camped at Webb's Ash last year - my criteria was I wanted to be near the JP tent, no slopes, no flooding and close-ish to Blue Gate. It's a tiny little site that's essentially the flat bit below Micheal's Mead.

Bonuses included being an ideal location for nipping back into the tent to grab a jumper or snacks, right next to a lockup and two sets of toilets that are thankfully spaced just far enough away to avoid the smell... It's also a lovely wander through the woods area to JP. Downsides is the constant noise until about 3/4am thanks to the nearby San Remo and food stalls, and the fact that absolutely nobody seems to have a clue where it is...

Edited by LivOctober

6 minutes ago, LivOctober said:

I camped at Webb's Ash last year - my criteria was I wanted to be near the JP tent, no slopes, no flooding and close-ish to Blue Gate. It's a tiny little site that's essentially the flat bit below Micheal's Mead.

Bonuses included being an ideal location for nipping back into the tent to grab a jumper or snacks, right next to a lockup and two sets of toilets that are thankfully spaced just far enough away to avoid the smell... It's also a lovely wander through the woods area to JP. Downsides is the constant noise until about 3/4am thanks to the nearby San Remo and food stalls, and the fact that absolutely nobody seems to have a clue where it is...

We camped there for several years opposite what was the guardian lounge but moved slightly up the hill closer to jp to get a slightly quieter camp … unless I slept extra well last year I can’t remember hearing San remo ? Or the bass might have been less 

18 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

We camped there for several years opposite what was the guardian lounge but moved slightly up the hill closer to jp to get a slightly quieter camp … unless I slept extra well last year I can’t remember hearing San remo ? Or the bass might have been less 

Me and my friend were camped right at the edge, almost at the bottom of the permissible camping area - got in at 4pm thanks to the disaster that was rail transport and didn't fancy being too picky! Honestly I wouldn't be able to tell you 100% if the noise was San Remo or the food stalls, but it would've kept me up if it wasn't for my earbuds.

Edited by LivOctober
spelling is my enemy

On 1/11/2023 at 9:56 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It's looking like my group and I will be looking for somewhere new to camp this year. I have the added complication of Thursday entry to contend with also. After camping in the Theatre & Circus crew area for the past five years, I'll be out amongst it again, so I have some research to do. 

Where's everyone planning to camp this year, and why that area? 

Why are you out in the wild? 

1 minute ago, blutarsky said:

Why are you out in the wild? 

I got a ticket in the main sale. I've probably got a working place if I want it but I'm low on days off to be able to spend eight days on site, plus my best mate (you know) has a ticket for the first time since 2009. It's going to destroy him and I want to be there to witness every minute. I'll still be able to enjoy all the usual privileges of T&C but I'll be camping with the rest of the scum 

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I got a ticket in the main sale. I've probably got a working place if I want it but I'm low on days off to be able to spend eight days on site, plus my best mate (you know) has a ticket for the first time since 2009. It's going to destroy him and I want to be there to witness every minute. I'll still be able to enjoy all the usual privileges of T&C but I'll be camping with the rest of the scum 

Interesting to hear.

You'd have to pay me a lot to go through the trials that the average punter has to endure, but at least you still have usual privileges of T&C

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Interesting to hear.

You'd have to pay me a lot to go through the trials that the average punter has to endure, but at least you still have usual privileges of T&C

erm what trials are they Skip ? saying this as an average punter .....the only pain for me is the queue and getting setup . the rest of it is absolute bliss 

Interesting to hear.

Yeah, it's gonna hurt not being able to drive my car into camp, park up, unload right next to my spot and do the same on the way out. I won't miss the 8pm til 8am death shift but I'll definitely miss the Sunday entry, seeing the place come alive and free access to all the crew bars. Good times.

Seriously, as someone who once swore I'd never work it, I'd implore any passionate Glastonbury goer to give it a go one year. You see the festival from a completely different perspective and you feel even more a part of the place. It's an unusual but rewarding feeling. I absolutely loved it.

Thanks to having awesome friends, I'll still be able to use the facilities and most importantly that SEC cut-through. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

erm what trials are they Skip ? saying this as an average punter .....the only pain for me is the queue and getting setup . the rest of it is absolute bliss 

From experience of both sides, I'd say parking (which is expensive), queuing to get in (which some line up on a Tuesday with little sleep), finding a spot, setting up, taking down, packing up and the long, weary trudge back to the car on Monday. Plus access to better (and cleaner) facilities is a huge bonus for volunteers.

But yes, everything else in between (the important bit) is awesome.

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

First off, the ridiculous "bun fight" for tickets and the stress attached. The traffic queues, the gate queues, the walk across site carrying your limited gear, presumably you're searched on entry. Camping with little or no space, queuing for showers.

The cost, which is way beyond the ticket; parking or glamping/motorhome fees etc.

Not being able to access certain areas thus walking around site takes longer and you have to queue for the likes of SE corner.

Not being able to nip into crew bars for a break.

etc, etc

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

packing up and the long, weary trudge back to the car on Monday. Plus access to better (and cleaner) facilities is a huge bonus for volunteers.

This

Plus I don't have to leave site on the Monday or even Tuesday, in fact I could probably stay there for another week. The biggest advantage of this is extra time to recover and ensure I'm okay to drive.

First off, the ridiculous "bun fight" for tickets and the stress attached. The traffic queues, the gate queues, the walk across site carrying your limited gear, presumably you're searched on entry. Camping with little or no space, queuing for showers.

The cost, which is way beyond the ticket; parking or glamping/motorhome fees etc.

Not being able to access certain areas thus walking around site takes longer and you have to queue for the likes of SE corner.

etc, etc

ticket bun fight a pain but less so if you are organised , nervy but also provides a good buzz if you get tickets and then even better if you sort them for someone else . Cost for me is a ticket plus either bus or parking .... I dont have a huge income so moderate my drinking from bars and take some cans in .  you walk a shit load around Glastonbury whatever , shortcuts or not it can be physically demanding ... if you work you obviously need to add the 3x  8hour shifts on to that . The site has plenty of beautiful areas where you can sit back and watch the world go by ( of course minimal inn a wet yet year ) 

11 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Seriously, as someone who once swore I'd never work it, I'd implore any passionate Glastonbury goer to give it a go one year. You see the festival from a completely different perspective and you feel even more a part of the place. It's an unusual but rewarding feeling. I absolutely loved it.

Thanks to having awesome friends, I'll still be able to use the facilities and most importantly that SEC cut-through. 

I second this, esp the bolded bit.

Using the SEC cut-through, you'll be passing near my van (unless there's another one I'm unaware of.

This

Plus I don't have to leave site on the Monday or even Tuesday, in fact I could probably stay there for another week. The biggest advantage of this is extra time to recover and ensure I'm okay to drive.

by Monday im quite keen to get home and have a shower and bed tbh no way I could physically do much longer . Site feels a bit unloved on monday and im not sure how secure things become as the cleanup commences 

26 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I did know that. He's going to be such a misery on the Sunday 😁

Gutted not to be there to witness it. I'll have to pop round his on the Monday. 

See you there in 2024. 

11 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

From experience of both sides, I'd say parking (which is expensive), queuing to get in (which some line up on a Tuesday with little sleep), finding a spot, setting up, taking down, packing up and the long, weary trudge back to the car on Monday. Plus access to better (and cleaner) facilities is a huge bonus for volunteers.

But yes, everything else in between (the important bit) is awesome.

parking 50quid divided by passengers .....  ive perfected the entrance now so thats not so bad but definately dont fancy the full queue experience anymore or definately not the overnights . Yeah the facilities are good but the downside is that some of the camping is offsite and the extra walk sort of balances out what you might gain from any shortcuts . One day maybe ill try it as many keep doing it but the options to return to my tent is one of the great things about the not working option 🙂 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

parking 50quid divided by passengers .....  ive perfected the entrance now so thats not so bad but definately dont fancy the full queue experience anymore or definately not the overnights . Yeah the facilities are good but the downside is that some of the camping is offsite and the extra walk sort of balances out what you might gain from any shortcuts . One day maybe ill try it as many keep doing it but the options to return to my tent is one of the great things about the not working option 🙂 

Do you mean in terms of what you pack, or what time you arrive / what gate you aim for?  You've said you aim for bus too, so that doesn't allow much flexibility, so interested in what a perfected entrance is.  Still feel like it's carnage most years - reckon I'll have properly forgotten what I'm doing when I'm getting ready this year!

29 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

etc, etc

I've never been searched once in 10 Glastonburys.

The rest of it is fair enough, although I would never queue overnight or walk miles with stuff these days. Both can be avoided if you're not arsed about camping centrally (which is another crew perk)

Lucky for you that us chumps go, though, or there'd be no festival at all!

13 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Do you mean in terms of what you pack, or what time you arrive / what gate you aim for?  You've said you aim for bus too, so that doesn't allow much flexibility, so interested in what a perfected entrance is.  Still feel like it's carnage most years - reckon I'll have properly forgotten what I'm doing when I'm getting ready this year!

I've always found coming by coach to be a very smooth entrance. Never queued for long at all. Obviously you have to pack less, though.

• Crazyfool01 changed the title to Camping Plans for 2024