Camping Plans for 2024

Supernintendo Chalmers

16 minutes ago, Jacksamthompson said:

As in Spring Ground (the accessible only campsite) or within Hitchin Hill? (this could get confusing) 

Indeed! Not Spring Ground, but within Hitchin.  Hopefully someone else can verify this to confirm I haven't gone mad

• 2 months later...

We have a 9am coach from London - assume will be onsite by 2ish? What's hawkwell like at that time? Is the slope as bad as people say?

any idea what the best potential site for a central spot? Only two tents. I know the premium areas will be out by that point!

Or are we best just taking it easy and going for dairy? Gonna be walking our asses off whatever.

On 4/3/2023 at 10:24 AM, Mr. B said:

Indeed! Not Spring Ground, but within Hitchin.  Hopefully someone else can verify this to confirm I haven't gone mad

Spring ground disabled tents only.. Campers opposite towards gate A... They have closed off row mead.. Hoping this is only till wed.. Think they did the same for stevie.. 

2 hours ago, ilovelanegan said:

If we're parking up around (hopefully) midday, coming via Bristol so most likely coming in gate D, what are the chances of getting 2 tents into Oxylers do we think? 

Reasonable if you properly wade in and hunt a bit (and don’t have to be right next opposite each other). 

We normally camp in Wicket Ground (Not family) but with that being changed to Disabled access we've decided to have a complete change up and go south west. Can anyone recommend a good area thats of a similar vibe of not too far from The Park/Other stage but also well clear of foot traffic and noise, arriving very early Wednesday.

Edited by Petrifish

12 hours ago, Scrump said:

We have a 9am coach from London - assume will be onsite by 2ish? What's hawkwell like at that time? Is the slope as bad as people say?

any idea what the best potential site for a central spot? Only two tents. I know the premium areas will be out by that point!

Or are we best just taking it easy and going for dairy? Gonna be walking our asses off whatever.

We were in Hawkwell in 2013 right at the top next to the fence, it wasn't good.  You're on quite a slope, which makes it a pain for near enough anything, sitting in chairs, trying to do basic things at camp, you can't get a communal area going and then we had a lot of people sitting in our camp for The Rolling Stones who couldn't get into the Pyramid Field.

If you're further down the hill its fine!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Petrifish said:

We normally camp in Wicket Ground (Not family) but with that being changed to Disabled access we've decided to have a complete change up and go south west. Can anyone recommend a good area thats of a similar vibe of not too far from The Park/Other stage but also well clear of foot traffic and noise, arriving very early Wednesday.

South Park. 

57 minutes ago, Petrifish said:

Isn’t there still a bit of general camping along the top of wicket? What’s the disabled access change?

11 hours ago, cerv said:

Reasonable if you properly wade in and hunt a bit (and don’t have to be right next opposite each other). 

Hopefully! We're setting up for a very pregnant friend who's arriving Friday, so ideally need somewhere central to minimise her having to traipse back and forth to the tent 🤞

Found this which might be helpful for some first timers to get a understanding of the some of the inclines involved during the treks from gate to campsite and how flat certain camping areas are - its not perfect and doesn't have contour lines but gives a pretty good feel for the change in inclines (bonus points for it also having the festival map overlay) 

https://en-gb.topographic-map.com/map-kb57/England/?center=51.15431%2C-2.59103&zoom=15

image.thumb.png.ba1828105ddce7c992b53eb8504c5a49.png

• Upvote 1

Never been before, but for me and my partner a bit of peace and quiet at night is deffo paramount. I'm a big walker so we're arriving at about 4pm on Wednesday via coach and currently planning to trek aaaallll the way from Gate A down to South Park 1 to set up.

Is there anywhere closer that will still give us a nice bit of peace and quiet while also being near (but not too near!) toilets and not on a massive slope? A lot to ask for, I know!

Normal Pylon camper here. Given its demise I feel a bit lost about where to go! 

Arriving by coach on wednesday with one six man tent. But we have another three smaller tents arriving on Thursday throughout the day. 

Where's the best chance of saving space? I still don't want to walk far so hoping Darble or Bushy (or the tiny bit of Rivermead) but so worried about saving space! 

Been 10 years since I last went so keen to hear some insight from more recent goers.

We are arriving by car, planning on getting to the Farm around 5:45-6am Wednesday (staying in Hotel 25 mins away night before).

On a scale of 1/10, how easy will it be to secure 1 tent in Big Ground at that time?

7 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Getting the coach from Bristol at 6:30am - What the chances of Kidney mead (Always gone near paines historically) 

Not terrible I'd say - but will depend how many and how big the tents are - you'll need a very quick march across the site to get to Kidney Mead, but (again assuming you don't have too many / too big tents) you'd have Big Ground as next best option which fills fast too but slightly less so. 

6 minutes ago, ArcticGorilla said:

Been 10 years since I last went so keen to hear some insight from more recent goers.

We are arriving by car, planning on getting to the Farm around 5:45-6am Wednesday (staying in Hotel 25 mins away night before).

On a scale of 1/10, how easy will it be to secure 1 tent in Big Ground at that time?

1 8-man tent - 2 (scale going from 1 very hard to 10 easy)

1 1-man tent - 9

• Crazyfool01 changed the title to Camping Plans for 2024