Black Keys

O'Doyle Rules

15 hours ago, reflekting said:

The Black Keys talk returning to the UK and their "epic" new album (nme.com)

Eagled-eyed fans may have noticed a Glastonbury-shaped hole in The Black Keys upcoming tour schedule, however we probably won’t be seeing the band at Worthy Farm this summer.

“We got an offer from Glastonbury that was so insulting, we’re never going to play the festival again,” said Carney. “We know it’s a big deal for people in the UK but the weight of what the festival is doesn’t translate to most Americans. We have no interest in playing it.”

I wonder if the money was insulting or the placement they were offered.

I suspect it’s more the latter as they played previously which indicates money isn’t necessarily an issue.

10 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

A lot of weird comments. ' Band doesn't want to play my favourite festival, so they must be awful' vibe. I'm sure this has happened countless times with all your favourite acts but they don't speak up about it. 

Which other favourite acts will never play Glastonbury again, like hugging toddlers?! Just as a matter of interest. 

10 minutes ago, JudgeGrumpy said:

Which other favourite acts will never play Glastonbury again, like hugging toddlers?! Just as a matter of interest. 

I more meant ' turned down a slot due to the position they were given ' There's hundreds of bands that have never played Glastonbury or have stopped playing. Levelers for a big example. 1975 probably are accepting headliner or nothing

5 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I more meant ' turned down a slot due to the position they were given ' There's hundreds of bands that have never played Glastonbury or have stopped playing. Levelers for a big example. 1975 probably are accepting headliner or nothing

Turning it down is one thing going public with never playing the festival again is too far. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

A lot of weird comments. ' Band doesn't want to play my favourite festival, so they must be awful' vibe. I'm sure this has happened countless times with all your favourite acts but they don't speak up about it. 

Tbh it's the speaking up which is the worst part about it. They're well within their rights to decline an offer, but that doesn't mean they have to be big babies in the press about it. Especially when it must surely be known in the industry that Glastonbury offer less because of the charity and reduced corporate involvement etc? Doesn't exactly make them look good.

• Upvote 2

Bullet dodged. Tedious band. I think what they have said does have a grain of truth to it though in regards to it being a massive deal in the UK but actually not so much in the US (although big popular headliners like beyonce, billie eilish,  kendrick lamar,  kanye west,  and Jay z will be going some way to change that) and so if a band doesn't "get it" then there isn't any incentive to play a lower slot or for less money. 

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Awaiting a furious Suprefan storming into the thread to boast that Coachella would pay this terrible band huge amounts of money.

Now what do y’all expect when the festival doesn’t pay the fees bands deserve. I told you this but hey, that’s not enough evidence for you. Well now you’ve got your proof. And I expect you still don’t believe me. How y’all gonna get your do-lab on now. You guys need more registers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late to their recent comments…

Am I alone in thinking they are the most boring, overrated band around? it’s like an exercise in trying to write the most pointless background guitar based music you can possibly make. 

and it seems they are also c**ts.