Theatre/Musicals/plays - seen anything good/bad recently?

GeezLouise

1 hour ago, deepkittycaz said:

Resurrecting this thread - anyone else off to see Hadestown next year? I'm so excited for this!

Yep - just booked for Mrs. Fish's birthday.

Talking of which, off to Guys and Dolls in a few days time for this year's b'day.

Operation Mincemeat at the Fortune Theatre. A fun little show, if a little close to tedious door-slamming farce at times. Almost certainly not deserving of all the 5 star reviews it's getting but a still a good night out. And one absolute tear-jerker tune that stands out a mile.

Cabaret at the Playhouse is still the bees-knees. Seen it pretty much sitting on stage with Redmayne and Buckley, and with the new cast up in the gods. Works just as well in the cheap seats, I reckon.

Groundhog Day this week. Can't wait!

On 3/18/2023 at 5:34 PM, Ommadawn said:

Went to see The Ocean the End of the Lane last night. Superb acting, special effects and music. For once I agree with the critics. Definitely 5 stars. Last night is tonight at Bath but if it tours near you, it's well worth watching.

Saw this in Bath too. One of the best things I've seen, utterly brilliant. Loved the book so I'm happy they've made such a good stage production from it. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kathy and Stella Solve a Murder! at Bristol Old Vic.

It was a lot of fun and by luck or judgement I booked really great seats.  Oh yeah, it's a really beatiful theatre and they refurbished it and gave it decent facilities and bars too - I even went to the gender neutral loo and everyone behaved as usual - embarrassed and wanting to have a wee.

https://www.bristol247.com/culture/theatre/review-kathy-stella-solve-a-murder-bristol-old-vic-one-of-the-most-fun-evenings-you-are-likely-to-have-in-the-theatre-this-year/

20230916_193131.jpg

Edited by clarkete

We saw 'The Crown Jewels' play last night. 

From the West End, currently doing a tour of the country. 

Save your time and your money - I was expecting good things based on the cast of Al Murray, Mel Giedroyc and Joe Thomas, but it's just not funny and in fact it's pretty boring in places!

• 4 months later...

Saw A Mirror last week.

Mostly a four hander (except for a key scene) and all 4 are very good, in particular Johnny Lee Miller and an excellent Tanya Reynolds (Lily from Sex Education). 

Clever, well done, nice and twisty.

A play within a play within a play with a twist.

But don't worry, it all makes sense.

Went to see the Stranger Things Prequel.  If you like the tv show, it's an excellent origin story, and the actress that plays Joyce is amazing at nailing Winona's mannerisms.  My son hasn't watched it on tv, but really loved the play, and is now going off to binge the lot.

Got tickets for Sheridan Smith in Opening Night for later in the year,  a musical, with songs written by Rufus Wainwright, so could be very interesting indeed 

20 hours ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

i saw the Hills of California a couple of weeks ago. Tremendous. Better than anything else on right now. Yet mainly got three star reviews. 

Thanks for this. Hadn't heard about it, but was looking for something to go to week after next. Loved The Ferryman.

The Liverpool Royal Court does a great job in delivering local comedies with a superb stable of comic actors (Paul Duckworth, Gillian Hardie, Andrew ‘Scully’’ Schofield….) and I saw the latest one last night; ‘Haunted Scouse’ with Sinbad off Brookie playing alongside his real life wife. F*ck Shakespeare! This had me in tears of laughter and of heartbreak from start to finish. They have a group of writers there who absolutely know the Liverpool psyche so well. Though I went with friends from Bath and they were as overwhelmed by it as I was.